Stiff forks

echowitch
echowitch Posts: 196
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have Rockshox Dart 1 forks. I've noticed they tended to be really stiff, but I've put a touch of GT-85 on the stems to clean them off and it seems to have lubed the seals as well and they are far more bouncy now. Like I'd expect.

Have I just been a bit crap and neglecting them and they've seized a bit and putting some GT-85 has lubed and freed them up ?

Should I be GT-85'ing them more often ??

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Avoid GT85 as a long term solution, as the oil will rot the rubber seals. You need a silicone based lube. Your local cheapy DIY shop will sell cans for £3-4.

Like this for example: http://www.my-tool-shed.co.uk/p25868/Ev ... n=allprods
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    No! get some fork juice and use that, spray them after every ride, pump the fork, wipe clean, re-juice.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't expect miracles from Dart 1's though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Dart1's are poo frankly, but yes, without some lube (and GT85 is not the right stuff) they'll be even worse!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    1mancity2 wrote:
    No! get some fork juice and use that, spray them after every ride, pump the fork, wipe clean, re-juice.
    Which is just rebadged mr sheen/sillicone spray.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Silicone or teflon fork lube will help and should be used regularly to clean the seals as well as lube them, I use Halfords own brand silicone spray decanted into an old chain lube bottle so I can drip it on the stanchions without the spray getting on the brakes. I believe Fork Juice has a higher percent content of silicone but I'd have to try it to see if the difference was noticeable. I'd like to get some Finish Line Teflon stanchion lube but I can't see anywhere in the UK that stocks it.

To the OP - when was the last time your had the fork lowers removed to clean them and replace the splash bath oil?
  • echowitch
    echowitch Posts: 196
    The Dart 1 is going to be upgraded in a month anyway :)
  • The Rookie
    Neal_ wrote:
    replace the splash bath oil?
    On Dart1's????
    http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/64fhJ ... Manual.pdf
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Neal_ wrote:
    replace the splash bath oil?
    On Dart1's????
    http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/64fhJ ... Manual.pdf

Balls, I didn't realise Darts were that basic!!!
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    yep, they are so basic they are basically useless. Big softish tyre on some ridgids would be better.
  • The Rookie
    Pretty much the same as Suntour XCT's which they look strangely similar to.......
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Avoid GT-85 full stop... unless you really want to degrease.

Has a use, but not what Halfords sell it/give-it-away for (pretty much can guarantee it was Halfords, they're the main peddler of the stuff).