Cycle repair/maintenance courses

White Horse
White Horse Posts: 161
edited May 2012 in Commuting general
With 5 bikes in the house (not all mine) and a single-speed conversion coming up, I figure I can save a load of money learning how to maintain and repair my own bikes. I can fix punctures and replace brake blocks and the like. I can sort of keep gears in line (although I've never changed cables completely) but things like wheel bearings, headsets, replacing a chain and chainset are a little daunting.

Anyone know of a decent course I can attend to get these skills please? I've got the Haynes Bike Book but it's not the same as having someone show you and it's not all that detailed in my opinion.

Our local council does some simple ones but it's a day on basically how to change a puncture and oil your chain it seems.

Evans do some but I'm not convinced they would turn you in to a cycle mechanic as one of their services is repairs and servicing.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I don't think these courses are worth it - some are pretty dire, you don't always get one on one tutoring. Loads of videos on youtube (and Park Tools is better than Haynes). Or maybe get a friend to show you the basics?
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I agree with supersonic. The Park tools website is excellent and for any job that's likely to crop up it's highly likely that there's a video on youtube.

I don't consider myself to be very practical but I've taught myself to maintain my bikes and even built my own bike at the beginning of the year (it hasn't fallen to bits yet!). Some jobs need a bit of care and require that you do a bit of research beforehand but that said bikes aren't terribly complicated machines really.
  • metz007
    metz007 Posts: 4
    I did the 2 day strip and build course at Cyclewise in Winlatter last year June and it was really good. I would recommend it to anyone.

http://cyclewise.co.uk/index.php/mounta ... nce-course

Not sure where you are based but I drove up from London for the weekend and it was the best money I ever spent as its saved me a fortune in bike servicing. And its only £140 which is pretty much the price of a full service at Evans.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    £140, wow. I think I might start a business up!
  • White Horse
    White Horse Posts: 161
    Thanks for the replies. Might give Youtube a go for some of the simpler jobs (changing cables or a new chain) and see how it goes from there.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I learned most of my skills (!!) by restoring old bikes - the simpler, down tube shiftered steel framed devices of the 1980s. They are tough and really the process is little more than unbolt, clean, bolt back together. Modern bikes seem a bit scarier but once you've rebuilt the sort of bike that, if you do break a part, the replacement is likely to cost about a fiver, you end up less worried about fettling more expensive bikes.

I've not done everything yet (though I have on old bikes barring replacing the headset bearings - I took that task to a LBS) but I'd far rather trust myself than someone else with my bikes now.
    supersonic wrote:
    £140, wow. I think I might start a business up!

Plus 1 - I reckon I'd have spent the £140 on a bike to strip and rebuild. And then sell at a profit!
    Faster than a tent.......