Knackered Tyres

nax-ian
nax-ian Posts: 209
edited June 2012 in Amateur race
How do you know/decide when your tyres are shot ? Do you wait 'til you can see thread poking through the rubber or.... Is it blatantly obvious, like, your getting flats pretty much every ride.
Who knows?
Finished

Comments

• alex1rob
    alex1rob Posts: 95
    That's what I do, once I'm getting punctures more than I would like I change em. The last one I changed was fairly 'flat' from use on a turbo and had many nicks which went through the canvas. I think I got the punctures when a stone/sharp bit went through these holes, not just the general lack of rubber.
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    My tyres never seem to get to that point anymore, every type I have had in the past few years had being binned due to irreparable cuts, some of which the inner tube was poking through.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Either a cut that deforms the shape of the tyre or the outer rubber is wearing through. It does depend though - race wheels I am probably a bit more conservative when I change them - training or commuting wheels more often than not the tyre is wearing through when I change them.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    1) too many flint holes or split
    2) damaged side wall
    3) after two years as rubber seems to perrish by then even though I keep bikes in shed :D
    I dont worry too much about read going its just they pouncture a bit easier but if you going to puncture you will anyway :D