Advice for Chinese Carbon Clinchers CarbonZone

chubbmr
chubbmr Posts: 16
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
I am looking to buy a set of 50mm carbon clinchers and have see a pair on ebay by seller 'Carbonzone'.

Can anyone recommend these wheels I believe they come with Novatec hubs & fully sealed bearings ? Has anyone has any issues with spokes breaking or the braking surface ?

If I order the wheels am I liable to import duty 4.5% and VAT 20%. If so how does it work - do I get an invoice from HM & Customs after the wheels have been delivered ?

TIA

Martin

Comments

• paulc33
    paulc33 Posts: 254
    I have a pair of these and no issues. My brakes squeaked a little at first. But due to poor set up by me.

The price on eBay is the price you pay. And delivery was nice and quick.
    Both wheels roll smoothly and ran true straight out the box.

I'm very pleased with mine I have too say.
    2015 Specialized S-Works Tarmac - Ultegra Di2 (7.0kg)
    Kinesis Aithein - Ultegra mechanical (7.3kg)
    Kinesis Maxlight Xc130 - xt/ xtr (11.3kg)

spin to win!
  • gmb
    gmb Posts: 456
    I can also recommend Carbonzone. My 50mm clinchers are on my Planet X (see photo). They were well packaged, sent quickly and of good quality. They are my everyday wheels and have done a fair bit of milage without issue. They haven't made me any faster though....
    Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    GMB wrote:
    They haven't made me any faster though....

Hmmmm

Not even on a flat TT?

What weights are people getting for these wheels? Their stated weight seems optimistic to me.
  • chubbmr
    Guys

thanks for the feedback. very helpful :D
  • golfergmc
    golfergmc Posts: 426
    Can anyone compare these to mavic cosmic carbone sl?
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp SL 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • chubbmr
    I bought some today so they should be shipped this week. I also asked for extra spokes...since I weigh 225lbs.

I know someone who bought cosmics then tried the carbonzone wheels and couldnt tell the difference. cosmics will have better braking performance due to alu braking surface.

My LBS recons these chinese wheels overheat then the rear tyre blows causing a crash....any feedback anyone?
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I've ridden them and never had that problem. I think you are only likely to get that problem on long descents if you are braking continuously and not letting them cool...
  • Gpac65
    Gpac65 Posts: 17
    Carbon clinchers think i'd be looking at a well known brand. Recently heard this discussed on a podcast and they mentioned that Carbon Clinchers were banned on Levi Leipheimer' s GranFondo ride, due to safety concerns.

Here's a link to the note with a couple of links within it that are worth a read.

http://levisgranfondo.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/398070-carbon-clincher-wheels
  • mroli
    Gpac - I'm not sure why you'd be looking at a "well known brand". The articles on that link clearly state that people have had failures on Reynolds and Edge carbon clinchers. I think the principle is sound though - if you are doing long alpine descents or repeatedly on the brakes, be careful with carbon clinchers. You need to give a lot more thought to how hot they are getting. One of the articles talks about "bonded" al/carbon rims being better, although having a slight weight disadvantage - but I have also heard due to the carbon fairing, heat is not dissipated as well.

Riding the Chiltern 100 a couple of years ago, a guy in front of me locked his zipps with his brakes - I think that was due to over-braking, so it ain't just the "no-name" brands that have the issue.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,171
    mroli wrote:
    Gpac - I'm not sure why you'd be looking at a "well known brand". The articles on that link clearly state that people have had failures on Reynolds and Edge carbon clinchers. I think the principle is sound though - if you are doing long alpine descents or repeatedly on the brakes, be careful with carbon clinchers. You need to give a lot more thought to how hot they are getting. One of the articles talks about "bonded" al/carbon rims being better, although having a slight weight disadvantage - but I have also heard due to the carbon fairing, heat is not dissipated as well.

Riding the Chiltern 100 a couple of years ago, a guy in front of me locked his zipps with his brakes - I think that was due to over-braking, so it ain't just the "no-name" brands that have the issue.

Riding the Zipps in the C 100 is quite idiotic... there are probably 2-3 flat sections and the roads are bumpy, descents are steep and badly surfaced, gravel... really, the last wheels I'd want are the Zipps...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Gpac65
    Gpac65 Posts: 17
    mroli wrote:
    Gpac - I'm not sure why you'd be looking at a "well known brand"..

was based on this within the same article
    " The influx of new carbon clincher brands is mostly due to the fact that Asian manufacturers are producing open-mold (non-proprietary) carbon clinchers at prices far less than what was available on the market just three years ago. The majority of the new brands are purchasing their rims from these manufacturers and without investing the resources that the established wheel brands have. It’s safe to assume that R&D and testing is sometimes minimal to nonexistent for many of the new players. This isn’t to say that the rim manufacturers themselves are not doing their own extensive testing to ensure the rims they’re selling are safe, but it’s not to say they all are either."

Just was trying to help with some what i thought was pertinent and relevant information :D Personally I think I need to loose a few pounds before considering the areo advantages of carbon clinchers.
  • mroli
    Aye - but that bit of the article is contradicted by the real life advice of the riders.

Ugo - will you be riding the Chiltern 100 this year? And apologies - my memory let me down - it wasn't the C100, it was the Ride 101 out of Thame (not run last year for some reason) - some flat Aylesbury Vale riding in that as well as Chilterns....
  • ugo.santalucia
    mroli wrote:
    Aye - but that bit of the article is contradicted by the real life advice of the riders.

Ugo - will you be riding the Chiltern 100 this year? And apologies - my memory let me down - it wasn't the C100, it was the Ride 101 out of Thame (not run last year for some reason) - some flat Aylesbury Vale riding in that as well as Chilterns....

No, I am moving away from the area in two weeks. All my cycling circus and toolage is moving to Richmond, Surrey... :D
  • chubbmr
    I got my wheels from carbon zone and took them to Richmond park for a few laps. Initial impression are that they are true and roll well and are much more stiff than mavic akiums. Weight 1599g exclusive of skewers. Would not choose red novatec hubs because they are more neon red /pink than the deep red of specialized. The rear squeals a little but at least people hear me. Overall very pleased with the wheel set given the price and performance. Makes any bike look much better as well as performance for flat riding and hill climbing. Thx to all who contributed to my thread. :)
  • BBH
    BBH Posts: 476
    Thanks for the update - nice to see what happens to people after ordering.
    Have just bought some myself (last wed) and am waiting for dispatch - how long was delivery for you? did you get your extra spokes??
    Glad u like them - enjoy!!
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie
  • chubbmr
    My carbon clinchers have now been out into the Surrey Hills for an 80mile trip and they are really rather good. I got extra spokes inthe box and took about 14 days to arrive. I am a heavy rider weighing 102kg. Down a 17% gradient hill I braked for a long time and the wheels performed with no problems.

Pros : smooth hubs and wheels feel really stiff and powerful compared to Mavic Aksiums for all types of riding. Excellent price nothing else is comparable in this price range.

Cons : Brake pads are cheap and make the braking feel a little 'grabby'. Best to upgrade pads. I ordered red hubs but they are more like neon red/pink so stay clear of colours and order black!
  • Just a quick response, don't know if its been mentioned yet but most of the top end wheel manufacturers source their rims from the same factories in China as the likes of Carbonzone. Amazingly the decal adds about another £500 to the price tag.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Just a quick response, don't know if its been mentioned yet but most of the top end wheel manufacturers source their rims from the same factories in China as the likes of Carbonzone. Amazingly the decal adds about another £500 to the price tag.

Same factory doesn't mean the same materials, designs, or QA. A Chinarello is not a Pinarello.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • ugo.santalucia
    Just a quick response, don't know if its been mentioned yet but most of the top end wheel manufacturers source their rims from the same factories in China as the likes of Carbonzone. Amazingly the decal adds about another £500 to the price tag.

That's not the case. Name the top end manufacturers that you think use the same rims as carbonzone, otherwise your statement is misleading
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Or jst use carbon tublar wheels. Tubs are quite easy to get on with I have found.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.