commuting for two months!!and do u guys use cycle computers?

redderekthelampshade
edited June 2012 in Commuting general
All poised to use works cycle to work scheme only to find its only run for a few months a year, I was a little cheesed off at first as I'd set my heart on a new bike but its kinda worked out good in a way - I decided to do the bits on my existing bike and its just like new(ish) ha.. Had the wobbly bottom bracket sorted, all new cables and new combined brake/gear levers.. wasn't expensive really and has transformed the bike :)

The best news is the commute is sssssssssssssso much easier - its only 4 miles each way but it was killing me to start with, now I'm looking for longer and different routes :-)

Also.. I managed to shave 1 minute off my ride home, not a big deal but it really made me smile!

The reason I asked about the cycle computer is that I just got one and I'm sure thats probably got a lot to do with my better speed/time as I seem to be racing it :-) Its a cheap thing from aldi so I aren't expecting it to last forever but its suits me.

Craig.

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Just use Smartphone apps, if you like what the do but want more data go all out and get a proper, accurate one.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • corshamjim
    corshamjim Posts: 234
    Yes, chasing commute times can become a bit addictive. I deliberately don't use a computer now as I prefer to potter along and arrive at work in a more composed state! If I ever get a smartphone I'd like to have a go at strava.com - with that (if I've understood correctly what it's about) you can time just a shorter section of any ride comparing your times with other people cycling the same route.
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    As mentioned - I use Strava. Good fun comparing yourself against other people who ride the same routes.
    Unfortunately everyone else on my commute is on a roadie, and I'm on a full-fat MTB, so I am always killing myself to try to climb up the leaderboard.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • I've just downloaded strava on my iPhone, I shall give it a whirl tomorrow - looks good!. Mind I'll probably leave it on silent in my bag and forget completely about it.. :-)

I was doing great tonight.. I thought I was on for a personal best until my chain decided to fly off the top cog just outside a pub beer garden much to the delight of a bloke that was having a fag and a pint that used to 'do some cycling a few years ago with the kids' that wanted to impart all his gear setting up knowledge on me. I killed him in my mind. :twisted:
  • maveco
    maveco Posts: 67
    Garmin 200. No clutter, no fork sensor or spoke magnet needed. Really accurate. 2 fixing kits and water resistant. I use mine with Strava.

£104 quid at Winstanley Bikes:

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... S_Computer
  • I shall take a look ! cheers
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    I use the Endomondo and Strava apps on my iPhone stuck in a back pocket. Works just fine.

I employ the scientific approach of riding at 80% RPE uphill and 100% downhill where traffic and pothole allow ;)
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    I got one to stop myself nodding, definatly did the trick and kept my times in and out more consistant. Then I got a phone capable of running an app. Kept the computer on the bars though until recently, as I now consider my phone old, I've mounted a case on my stem and clip the phone in.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I never use one. I just don't want to turn a pleasurable activity into a numbers game...
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    But it makes it 34.87% more pleasurable. FACT.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Im a little addicted to the computer now - there's a little hill I go down just before home.. I used to pootle down, I now tear down trying to beat my top speed..

Yes I know it's childish :-)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    corshamjim wrote:
    Yes, chasing commute times can become a bit addictive. I deliberately don't use a computer now as I prefer to potter along and arrive at work in a more composed state! If I ever get a smartphone I'd like to have a go at strava.com - with that (if I've understood correctly what it's about) you can time just a shorter section of any ride comparing your times with other people cycling the same route.
    It's all your fault - I've signed up with Strava and uploaded one of my commute rides ...

3 segments - one you can forget as it's 0.3 miles and only marginally uphill ... second and third are actually meaningful (to me) as they involve a reasonable climb ... anyway - the comparison seems to suggest I need to work a lot harder :(

Oh - I do use a cycle computer - the Garmin 800 - full maps, cadence & heart rate monitor - a bit OTT for my riding - but fun to look back on the stats a few months later and see how I've (not) progressed ...
    (Maps are handy for finding new routes - so not often used, but nice just the same)
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I used to use a computrer for commuting but i took it off , its the same distance every day and if i feel like going faster i will or taking it easy the next day depending onhow the legs feel.
    Just another item to take off the bike so it is not nicked , takes me ong enough to put panniers, lights , locks etc on/off without worrying if i have got to work 30 seconds faster :)

I use a computer if i go out on CC rides or solo runs .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • fobose
    fobose Posts: 6
    Yup, topeak panoram v12 (£24 I think). Clocked about 5100 using it, I am very competitive with myself so like to see my speed.
  • Thanks for all your replies.. I gave strava a whirl but to be fair I'm useless/forgetful and tend to leave my phone at home! It works really well.. That said, the one that cost a fiver from aldi hasn't missed a beat - yeah it probably not pin sharp accurate but it gives me a nice guide of how many miles I'm covering :-)
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    Ive got the Aldi one, and to be fair its got most of the features of the more expensive ones, IS accurate (had mine checked just for a laugh) and tells me roughly how many calories I burn each ride (handy cos im a fat hefer)

Seriously I dont think it can be beat for the money!
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • yeah - its really good value, saves money to spend on other gadgets :-)
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    I had a computer on my commuter bike for about 4 years.

Some months ago, the battery on it died and I never got round to replacing it.

Last month, I removed the computer realising that I didn't miss the stats. One less thing to worry about and clears up the cockpit a little.

Still have acomputer on the long distance weekend bike though.
  • Initialised
    Recently added a Cateye Strada Cadence in the hope of measuring and improving my cadence. Not working yet!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    I use Endomondo and Strava on my iPhone in my back pocket. So I have the distance logged, but during a ride I don't know my speed - don't need to, I push when I feel good and ease up when I want.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • Initialised
    I find I can't see the display once I get past ~35mph. Kind of defeats the purpose but there's always the Max Speed function to look back at and keeping an eye on cadence does help focus on not dawdling.
  • My cheap aldi one had a little blip and the max speed in the memory is 81 mph haha I dread to think what would've happened at 88mph... Back to the future!!!! Ha
  • tallmansix
    tallmansix Posts: 57
    I have used a cheap computer for a short time just to get a feel for my speeds on the bike, but I did find it distracting from a safety point of view, I think one of the wonderful things about cycling is the purity of it, no real distractions, other than maybe the odd lycra wearing girl overtaking me. The most useful thing for me was having the clock on my handle bars so I knew I could time my train.

I do like tracking my total distance covered and some of my epic cycle routes, so I use my phone app (MapMyRide), I like checking the routes out afterwards, it helps to optimise them. And once you know the distance of your favourite routes, all you need is your start / end time to see how well you are doing anyway.

I do like to see my time improvements on regular commute and longer routes, it's quite rewarding to see fitness increasing and it encourages me.
    FCN=10 Carrera Subway II with touring kit = rack, 2x Panniers and a bottle.
    No car, just a bike for everything 100+ miles / week. Commute daily Chorlton-Manchester or Chorlton-Horwich
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    No. I like to keep my commute as simple as possible & focus on the road. I use the computer for weekend / evening stuff on my other (proper) bike.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    Use my Garmin 305 forerunner on the weekend bike. For the commuter I have a cheapish wired computer.
    The only thing I'll tend to keep an eye on, for myself, is the cadence. I like to keep 85-90rpm. Only other time is if I'm on a downhill doing 30+ in a 30 and some twonk decides 'must pass cyclist'.
    It obviously keeps track of my overall mileage.
    The latters good for calculating how much petrol you've saved and justifying new bike purchases to SWMBO.