OT Advice needed - Routers

Redhog14
Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
I have a router problem - it keeps dropping the internet, sometimes it works for days on end with no issues and then other days it just refuses to connect.

Is the problem with the router or the network to the house? How can I check this? don't want to get new router to find problem is elsewhere..
I live in a small village without any of yer fancy fibre optics gubbins...

Comments

• If you've got a sporadically noisy line you'll get those symptoms - you might notice poor call quality too. Your phone provider can check your line remotely, but if the noise is sporadic I guess they mightn't pick it up. You might consider changing your microfilters too. There'll be bags of support suggestions if you google..
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    if your with BT then PM me your number and i can test your line for you,as it could be network but on the other hand could be your equipment......
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Are you with BT?

I have had 2 of their routers (latest and prevoius) and they both dropped quite often.

In my digs I have changed to a Belkin and have had no drop-outs in 2 months but I now have other network issues specific to only one App (Rowmote Pro remote control for Mac) that I am trying to resolve which may, or may not, be the fault of the router and/or settings. If I get this fixed then I will be getting a Belkin for the home.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    mine kept dropping in/out - BT - turned out it was a faulty wire/connection - give the wires a wiggle
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Try logging in to your router and changing the channel. I'm on Virginmedia but was having a similar problem... changed the channel and it resolved itself. One of your neighbours could have a new router or cordless phone that's interfering with your network.
  • Redhog14
    afx237vi wrote:
    Try logging in to your router and changing the channel. I'm on Virginmedia but was having a similar problem... changed the channel and it resolved itself. One of your neighbours could have a new router or cordless phone that's interfering with your network.

?? change the channel HTFDYDT?
  • Redhog14
    if your with BT then PM me your number and i can test your line for you,as it could be network but on the other hand could be your equipment......

Promise you won't try to sell me insurance?? or PPI reclaim??
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Redhog14 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

?? change the channel HTFDYDT?

Who is your ISP?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    There are lots of things it could be.. broadband is just one big mess half the time.

Try switching the filter/splitter thing that comes with the router and plugs into the phone line.

also make sure the router is connected to the 'main' phone socket (which is impractical for most people... ours is in the cupboard under the stairs :roll: )

We had problems for ages though, did just turn out to be the exchange.. took them ages to fix it!
  • Redhog14
    BT is my ISP I have a Voyager 2500.

So far as interference is concerned my house is quite a distance from any others so could rule that out.

Sometimes I take the connection out and plug it back in, that works, sometimes i turn it on and off, that works sometimes I pick up the phone and that works and sometimes all 3 work and sometimes they don't! - doing my head in since i stopped giving money to the Met Benevalent Soc (SKY- news corp) I have been using BBC iplayer through the wii, but no wifi = no telly!
  • upperoilcan
    Redhog14 wrote:

LOL no mate,im in the office as we speak so i can test your line...
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 wrote:

LOL no mate,im in the office as we speak so i can test your line...

sure you can understand my reticence to give out my number to someone who lives in Bandit Country!

Cheers - have PM'd you
  • upperoilcan
    Redhog14 wrote:

[/quote]
    sure you can understand my reticence to give out my number to someone who lives in Bandit Country!

Cheers - have PM'd you[/quote]

Lol...Bandit country aka Marlow on Thames....... :D
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • upperoilcan
    And one day i might even learn out to quote/unquote in my replies......

Although i wont hold my breath. :D
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    afx237vi wrote:
    Changing the channel is to do with your computers dropping their WiFi connection to the router because of radio interference with other equipment. Most routers will come set to "Automatic" as default for their Wireless Channel, if you had problems with WiFi dropping then you could try changing to a specific number until you find the best connection.

But that is not the problem that Redhog has, his problem is the Router to ISP broadband connection by the sound of it. My brother had the same problem, eventually BT sent an engineer who measured a lot of noise on the line. They replaced the master socket in the house but still detected noise, so they traced the wires back 2 green boxes away to find the problem. Cables and connectors can rust over time and produce a poor electrical connections, it happens.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Gizmodo wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Changing the channel is to do with your computers dropping their WiFi connection to the router because of radio interference with other equipment. Most routers will come set to "Automatic" as default for their Wireless Channel, if you had problems with WiFi dropping then you could try changing to a specific number until you find the best connection.

But that is not the problem that Redhog has, his problem is the Router to ISP broadband connection by the sound of it. My brother had the same problem, eventually BT sent an engineer who measured a lot of noise on the line. They replaced the master socket in the house but still detected noise, so they traced the wires back 2 green boxes away to find the problem. Cables and connectors can rust over time and produce a poor electrical connections, it happens.

If you have an android phone you can download this to see which channels are being used:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5mYXJwcm9jLndpZmkuYW5hbHl6ZXIiXQ..

(i'm sure there are alternatives for iphone etc. too)

checked my network and everything in range was clustered in two areas of the spectrum.. despite the fact that routers are supposed to be able to choose the best channel automatically.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    well thanks to some of the advice above my wifi seems to be working - i had no idea about changing the channel - redhog it should be under settings of your bthub manager you can get to it by sticking this address in your browser:

and under settings you can change the channel.

Also if there is interference on the line you can dial 17070 and choose option 2 for bt's quiet line test - if there is no interference then the line, like most of the forumers on here, will be blank, hehe/
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • solosuperia
    solosuperia Posts: 333
    I spent days £arting about with my home system.........
    Problems with Tablet, Kindle and Desktop speed and unable to connect.
    Changed this and then changed that, all the things that have been mention in previous posts.

BTW I was using an expensive so I believed good router.
    Someone I know had a spare that had come when they signed up to a new ISP.
    Plugged it in..................Bobs your uncle, spot on!

My advice see if you can borrow a router that is a known goody and give it a try.
  • Redhog14
    Cheers guys I'll try some of these solutions as soon as I get 5 mins peace from domestic duties! Not sacrificing bike time for the internet...