Say what ya like about Halfords

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
But, to people of a certain age their latest advert really resonates, fantastic, nostalgia by the bucketful.

Nice one. :D
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Oh come on Frank - at least post the link, I am far too lazy to go looking for the bloody thing and I hardly watch TV
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    I agree great advert and great song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUp_lT3XiW4
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Yeah but apart from the new ad with a great track and images of when us slightly older ones were younger, what else have Halfords ever done for us? :wink:
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • SmellTheGlove
    SmellTheGlove Posts: 697
    Stu Adamson guitar legend rides again on his heavenly Grifter.
    Nice work Halfords.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    oh blimey, that takes me back. As recent graduates we were at a friend's wedding. The girls on the table tried to get us to dance and we agreed only if the dj played Into The Valley. One of the girls made the request. Dj played the song. Self, friend and groom pogoed. Noone else on the dance floor. Groom was in deep trouble. I had a great time, and am married to one of the girls who wanted ust to dance.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    byke68 wrote:
    Yeah but apart from the new ad with a great track and images of when us slightly older ones were younger, what else have Halfords ever done for us? :wink:

At the risk of this ending up like the "Romans & Monty Python" sketch they do seem to be the main sponsors of the British Tour Series doing the rounds atm - highlights on ITV4 for true believers.
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    almost in tears at that advert, just so many memories.

me dad would rarely buy anything, he'd just make it himself, including a windbreaker and clackers. he'd either be making/fixing or drinking beer and smoking tabs. come to think of it he still is, minus the tabs
  • pinno
    (Thanks Rigga)

Could'nt they have found an old Volvo ?! Everything else was retro except the car.
    Cannot get sentimental with that. I never had a camping holiday when I was 10 surrounded by cute girls and riding bikes, swimming in rivers.
    I would do a counter ad with midges and leaky tents and family arguments, annoying siblings and going a shade of purply blue by dipping in the sea...
  • byke68
    RonB wrote:
    byke68 wrote:

At the risk of this ending up like the "Romans & Monty Python" sketch they do seem to be the main sponsors of the British Tour Series doing the rounds atm - highlights on ITV4 for true believers.

Yeah but apart from British Tour Series and this new advert, what have Halfords ever done for us. :)
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • pinno
    byke68 wrote:
    RonB wrote:
    byke68 wrote:

Yeah but apart from British Tour Series and this new advert, what have Halfords ever done for us. :)

You must be the Peoples Liberation front of Halfords ?
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    Funny thing is, until I read this thread, it hadn't registered as a Halford's ad.
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    this just brings up BAD memories.

i lost my front teeth to a pair of clackers.

damn clackers :evil:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    this jusht bringsh up BAD memoriesh.

i losht my front teesh to a pair of clackersh.

damn clackersh :evil:
    ftfy :twisted:
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    thanks but no need- i had my prosthetics in when i typed that! :D
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • byke68
    byke68 wrote:
    RonB wrote:
    byke68 wrote:

You must be the Peoples Liberation front of Halfords ?

F*ck off, People's Liberation Front Of Halfords!
    It's the Judean Liberation Front Of Halfords! :)
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Yup, if you're a 70s child then that ad cannot fail to tug the ol' heartstrings.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    (Thanks Rigga)

Could'nt they have found an old Volvo ?! Everything else was retro except the car.

But it wasn't was it?

Two kids on mountain bikes wearing helmets, two kids on 70's bikes (Grifter and ?), a girl listening to music on a tape cassette another girl listening to an iPod.

The whole point of the advert is that kids are the same now as they were in the 70's. So it pulls at the heart strings of todays parents to buy their kids new bikes from Halfords and give them the same freedom to explore that the parents had!
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    (Thanks Rigga)

I would do a counter ad with midges and leaky tents and family arguments, annoying siblings and going a shade of purply blue by dipping in the sea...

This.
  • pinno
    schweiz wrote:
    (Thanks Rigga)

But it wasn't was it?

Two kids on mountain bikes wearing helmets, two kids on 70's bikes (Grifter and ?), a girl listening to music on a tape cassette another girl listening to an iPod.

The whole point of the advert is that kids are the same now as they were in the 70's. So it pulls at the heart strings of todays parents to buy their kids new bikes from Halfords and give them the same freedom to explore that the parents had!

Buy stuff of Halfords ?! Don't do that or i'll chop your bollox off...
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Brings back a mix of memories. A mash up of family holidays, bike day trips with pals to the beach/hills as early teenagers and holidays with pals in my late teens when we couldn't afford "proper" holidays (Scrumpy and camping at a youth friendly site in Newquay - Oh yes!). Plus a cracking tune.
    Brilliant!
    Still doesn't make me want to shop at Halfords but thanks anyway :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • byke68
    Don't thank Halfords, thank their ad agency. :wink:
    Cannondale CAAD8