Sintered or organic?

sensi10
sensi10 Posts: 68
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Was wondering which pads are better for everyday use , which pads give more feel , bite , what pads will actually give a stronger brake .
I have shimano brm596 deore brakes which come standard with organic pads and find that they dont feel as strong as my old avid juicy sevens.
This is really doing my head in as I much prefer the deore levers and was wondering if the problem is the organic pad?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Organic give more bite, but don't last as long. Sintered don't feel as powerful but are harder wearing. Kevlar are somewhere in the midddle.
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    I've got through organic pads in a single day. If its remotely gritty, like the peaks, they get destroyed. Sintered everytime for me, with a spare pair in the Camelbak.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Have recently switched to Superstar kevlar and am loving them at the moment - best of both worlds (although someone else may argue worst of both worlds...)
  • Woody80
    apreading wrote:
    Have recently switched to Superstar kevlar and am loving them at the moment - best of both worlds (although someone else may argue worst of both worlds...)
    How well are they lasting so far? In considering Kevlar for the 'summer'
  • Gibbo GTI
    Gibbo GTI Posts: 98
    Woody80 wrote:
    apreading wrote:

I'm using the same pads and I'm pretty heavy on the breaks sometimes. I have done numerous DH runs at the Forest of Dean (lots of braking), the red and blue trails there and the Beast trail at Coed-Y_Brenin without any signs of wear as yet. I bought 4 pairs in the deal Superstar were doing and I'm glad I did. Very happy with the pads.
    GT Force Carbon Expert
    Carrera Fury
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Put kevlars on my brakes in January. Ridden all over Scotland most weekends since then. Still about half left. Top value and good power.
  • Woody80
    Might get some ordered then. Always worth having choices 'in stock'!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Just got some Ashima SOS pads to try out http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a51112/.html?lg=en they are a mix of sintered and organic. Be interesting to see if they combine the best or the worst of both.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Woody80
    stubs wrote:
    Just got some Ashima SOS pads to try out http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a51112/.html?lg=en they are a mix of sintered and organic. Be interesting to see if they combine the best or the worst of both.
    Let us know how you get on. Not sure about the recommended environment though from the link:

"Sintered pads deliver the best wear, high temperature performance and are suitable for most hash environments. "
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Woody80 wrote:
    stubs wrote:
    Let us know how you get on. Not sure about the recommended environment though from the link:

"Sintered pads deliver the best wear, high temperature performance and are suitable for most hash environments. "

:lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Woody80 wrote:
    apreading wrote:

Really well, 500 miles of all weather so far and plenty of heavy braking and they are still going strong. That is on my *cough* hybrid/road bike though... Just about to fit them onto the MTB.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Woody80 wrote:
    I've got through organic pads in a single day. If its remotely gritty, like the peaks, they get destroyed. Sintered everytime for me, with a spare pair in the Camelbak.

This for me too, organics don't last a ride int the peaks and sintered are plenty strong enough if your brakes are working properly.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    supersonic wrote:
    Good on grass then?

they get a bit smoky after a session on the trails
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Do they feel weedy?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.