Bike lock

supercrock
supercrock Posts: 2
edited May 2012 in Commuting general
Hi Guys,

Getting a new bike (value around £1300). Wonder if anyone can recommend a bike lock for commuting with. It is locked somewhere reasonably secure but would still like a decent lock.

Was looking at this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 ... ROKL5A1OLE

Does anyone have any good/bad experience?

Thanks

Comments

• TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    To be honest you can't go far wrong with Abus or Kryptonite, particularly their more expensive models. I haven't used this model personally, but a £90 Abus lock isn't to be sniffed at.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Without it saying what diameter the links are, is hard to say. Anything less than 16mm can be chopped by bolt croppers easily.

I use this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kryptonite-New- ... d_sim_sg_2

Good price, tough lock.
  • supersonic
    That Abus is a pathetic 9mm, useless.
  • Rule74Please
    Rule74Please Posts: 307
    a good rule of thumb is 10% of the value of the bike.

You are at the point of diminishing returns at the New Yorker.

I use a fahgettaboutit chain but have to leave my bike out in the open. But I KNOW it is there when i come back!

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/locks/product/review-kryptonite-new-york-fahgettaboudit-chain-16522
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Kryptonite Fahgeddaboudit mini is what I use. It fits snugle around the seat tube, rear wheel and a stand, so there's no room to get something in to lever it open.

Get a D lock and a chain, different locks require different tools to break them, so it's more hassle for the thief to come equipped to take your bike, plus it takes longer.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Personally I would never commute on a bike worth more than about £700, you're just asking for it...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    Without it saying what diameter the links are, is hard to say. Anything less than 16mm can be chopped by bolt croppers easily.

The problem is, anything above 13mm or so becomes very cumbersome to use. I have a 13mm chain, and it's a pain to thread through the spokes of a wheel, and you're really don't want to drop it on your frame, nevermind carry it around with you.

You can get decent chains of less than 16mm that take significant effort with very hefty bolt croppers of the type that you can't casually secrete about your person. They're not impenetrable, but should deter opportunists. It depends on where you're going to be leaving your bike and for how long.
  • maveco
    maveco Posts: 67
    +1 the Kryptonite Fahgeddaboudit mini. I use it, also use this:

Abus Steel O Chain 810 85cm Chain Bike Lock

For places where I can't get a D lock to work.

Would recommend getting a cheapie bike to commute on, second hand.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Worth saying that Kryptonite locks come with theft insurance, various values depending on lock level.

I'm commuting on the CAAD8 and the biggest problem is where on the bike to put the damn lock ...
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • supersonic
    If you can, and travel to and fro: keep the lock at the destination. I used to keep a massive anchor chain and padlock at uni.

If having to carry, think about a stout D lock for main duites, a cable for extremeties.
  • Larkono1
    Larkono1 Posts: 6
    I am researching locks at the moment, and have found below two seem quite good value, does anyone have experience with them?

Kryptonite New York 3000 NYL 2012

Kryptonite New York M18

I am having to buy a new commuter, 2nd hand, and I think the lock isn't going to be too much cheaper than the bike, but I am sick of getting them stolen!
    Thanks
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    maveco wrote:
    +1 the Kryptonite Fahgeddaboudit mini. I use it, also use this:

+1 and an Abus Bordo for the front wheel, and a cable lock for the saddle/seatpost