Anyone on here had a hip resurfacing/replacement?

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
I'm now 18days post op since having a "Birmingham hip" not to be (confused with a Glasgow kiss) :lol: and I wondered if anyone else ha had a similar op and how long it was before they were able to get back on the bike just to turn the paddles. I'm hoping I may be able to get on the turbo (min resistance+lowest gear) in the next fortnight.

Am I being too optimistic?
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    I'm now 18days post op since having a "Birmingham hip" not to be (confused with a Glasgow kiss) :lol: and I wondered if anyone else ha had a similar op and how long it was before they were able to get back on the bike just to turn the paddles. I'm hoping I may be able to get on the turbo (min resistance+lowest gear) in the next fortnight.

I think you're confusing your bike with your canoe Frank :D
  • Frank the tank
    Fcuk it, I've been paddling a two man canoe singlehanded for too long as you well know. :(

How long then sharp sh1t? :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

• random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    If I knew that I'd be much better off than I am :)
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    I had a hip arthroscopy in October last year. I started to ride the bike again in early January
    as I could just about get my leg over the crossbar. Alas, my op wasn't a complete success, as
    I've been referred to the surgeon who does the invasive surgery on hips.

I can cycle ok, but running is out of the question due to the impact on the hip, and walking is
    still difficult. The consultant who operated on me was concerned that I was still feeling pain
    (worse than pre-op) and had no hesitation in referring me to his colleague, whilst telling me
    in detail what the procedure for the invasive op will be.

As far as rehabilitation goes, here's a link to some good post-op exercises for the hip.
    Here is another one. Link for hip stretching.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    6-8 weeks, try and make sure the hip does not bend too much maybe raise the saddle and handle bars whilst you gently do some glass cranking. I had a 3 speed sit up and beg Pashley which was ideal for dawdling - don't overstretch the muscle around the hip where its been severed during the op. Peddle a gentle 39x17/19 with lots of 'piano piano' or 'souplesse' !

Wear a wig and moustache because you may get crusts passing you and calling you everything under the sun as you dawdle along (Cleat said you'd be used to that). Find flat areas to cycle on 'cos you don't want to stand on the pedals at all to start with. Rollers are excellent if you have a front fork clamp thingy. You can get off anytime if you are uncomfortable. Turbo-trainers are hell as you cannot freewheel for any length of time.
    There is plenty of life after a hip-op. Doing excercise in water (like walking) is excellent but don't swim - especially breaststroke.
    I have had 3 replacements as you may have remembered unless the anaesthetic did'nt finish off the last remnants of sense - I did ask you to PM me post op: so you forgot that! Its detention for you in aggies basement inflicted by a munter taunting and whipping you whilst she eats eccles cakes, laughing like claire balding (don't try 69 with her, especially this soon after the op). Gottit?!?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Looks like you struck lucky big man, Nottinghamshire University Trust hospitals just been named the worse nationally for cancelling Operations and not delivering services. Know you had one cancelled.

Hope it goes well for you, My Mum had a both done in the space of a year and was riding a horse again 3 weeks after each, but I suppose that dont really equate. Try a bit of aqua spin just WD40 the frame afterwards.

Get well soon.
  • Frank the tank
    Pinarello001 forgot about the PM fella (mind of a goldfish and all that) but thanks for the advice. :D

I will however endevour to steer clear of Aggies fabled dungeon and it's dark going ons.
    Tail end Charlie

• brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    I was 24 when I had both my hips replaced (Total Hip Replacements) about 16 years ago and they are still going strong. I was put back on an exercise bike after a couple of weeks which felt way to soon to me but the physio assured me it was to get flexibility back. I was back out cycling after a couple of months on flat pedals as you definitely don't want to be twisting your foot to release youself from clipless pedals that early. My surgeon said never to use clipless but against his advice I was using them after about a year and I haven't had any problems.

Most of my riding was on the flat to begin with but I steadily increased the mileage and the terrain as I regained my strength and I found that my body usually told me when I was overdoing things a bit.

Over the last 10 years or so I have cycled the big alpine cols and cycle about 200 miles a week during the summer so give it time (it took me about 2 to get back to fully recover) and you won't even notice you have had the operation.

Best of luck.
  • Frank the tank
    Brucey72, that's encouraging stuff. Cheers.
    Tail end Charlie

• larmurf
    larmurf Posts: 110

Hi
    I think you should be ok. I just did a bit of checking and:
    Had total hip replacement 26/11/2007 - Musgrave Park Hospital Belfast
    Chain Reaction dispatched Tacx Turbo Flow 08/01/2008

The only problem I can recall was getting on and off, none with the workout which would
    not have been too strenuous. Used an ordinary kitchen chair to get on and off. (Still do to get off)
    A small set of steps might be better.
    Mahatma Gandhi was asked by a British journalist what he thought of Western civilisation. "I think it would be a good idea," he replied.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    edited May 2012
    If they left you with a "drain" after the surgery, try WD40 or GT84, that should help :lol:

Good luck with your recovery Frank, sorry I can't offer any proper advice.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Gizmodo wrote:
    If they left you with a "drain" after the surgery, try WS40 or GT84, that should help :lol:

Good luck with your recovery Frank, sorry I can't offer any proper advice.

If you do have a drain, invert the rubber in yer track pump - that will speed things up.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!