My "Ralph" build thread

steelie600
steelie600 Posts: 519
edited March 2013 in Your mountain bikes
My frame came back from being powder coated today aswell as some more bits through the front door, so ive started to build her up and she's looking quite tasty! So I thought i'd share where im up to

Suntour 2012 XCR DA LO forks Ebay bargain brand fire new
100_1471.jpg

RockShox BAR 2.1 shock bought off her for £40 also brand fire new
100_1470.jpg

Deda Stem and Hope spacers, and yes I know its technically a road stem, but I like the look of it!!
100_1469.jpg

Continental rim tape and downhill inner tubes, much tastyness
100_1474.jpg

Aest headset, nice Japanese bearings in here!
100_1476.jpg

Nice cheap brake discs, good quality and only £5 the pair!!
100_1477.jpg

Mavic rims on Quando hubs and stainless spokes again much cheapness £10 the pair
100_1479.jpg

Schwalbe racing Ralph in Cube racing compound (whatever the fuck that is) Again ebay bargain £10 the pair
100_1481.jpg

Nice comfy seat, £3
100_1482.jpg

The frame fresh from http://www.wilkinsonspowdercoating.co.uk Excellent quality of finish although they did get some media in the tubes which was an arse to get out!
100_1483.jpg

Now for built up shots, Took me 3 hours and a lot of sweat to get it like this, Machined the bearing faces and pivot faces and trimmed the steerer myself(only had a junior hacksaw available took me 1 hour alone!!)LOL
100_1484.jpg

100_1485.jpg

100_1486.jpg

100_1487.jpg
Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    You seem to have quite an eye for the bargains, not bad!
    I know your pain of sawing through steel steerers too haha.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • steelie600
    Ahh mate it was torture!! And all cos I couldnt be arsed to go work and get my pipe cutter!! LOL
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • ilovedirt
    Lol, it would have blunted your pipe cutter anyway, they're only made for copper.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • steelie600
    Nope ive got different blades for it, but I see your point! LOL But im quite chuffed with the end product!
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • sloppycowpat
    sloppycowpat Posts: 349
    :shock: how did you manage to get the bits so cheap that's mad

and it is looking a lot better than i thought it would i like the white a lot
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • steelie600
    This will piss you off then, total cost so far, INCLUDING powder coating £250 and there isnt a single part that isnt BRAND FIRE NEW.

Another couple of ton and ill be done! £2k's worth (ish) bike for less than £500!
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    steelie600 wrote:
    Another couple of ton and ill be done! £2k's worth (ish) bike for less than £500!

take about 1.5k off and you're about right on valuation! saying its worth 2k is, well politely ambitious! looks ok considering and some good deals too
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Doing a good job so far, the £2k valuation is a bit steep but looking good none the less.

What was the frame from?

Where did you find those wheels for £10? Curious for a cheap build for the girlfriend..
  • steelie600
    the 2k is just a generalisation tbf. The frames a ds900 or 950 I think not entirely sure cos ive binned the box. But had univega stickers on the bike in a god awful design and really shitty almost maroon red powdercoat.

Wheels were just ones some guy had bought for a project but bought the wrong ones, he didnt need the disc hubs, i put 20 quid on em and got them for 4 quid plus 6 for postage
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • ilovedirt
    I think it's just a generic BSO frame tbh, I used to have a Barracuda that was almost identical to that.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • steelie600
    Funny you should say that, ive seen a few that look very similar if not identical, barracuda is one, there was a raleigh, and im sure a saracen.

Would I be right in saying that in 2000 ish Raleigh made all the above AND Univega's?? If so it could be that the same frame was spead over a few brands?? Or am I just being a knob again?

But I assure you the frame defo had univega stickers on it and was in a box with univega on it although a very battered box LOL
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Doesn't matter what it is, what gears are you having on it?
  • ilovedirt
    I literally have no idea mate.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • steelie600
    Doesn't matter what it is, what gears are you having on it?

Ive got acera 3x9 on the way but ill make it 2x9 and whack a saint bashguard where the big ring was. BUT have just bought an xt 9 speed mech and shifters (both) off here so that will tighten up the shifts and sell the acera mech and shifters to recoup my spend on the xt stuff.

Winner winner chicken dinner as they say!

Cables will be goodridge teflons. in white, and the brakes are xt's in white

Not sure about the silver chain yet, whether or not to change to a gold one?? Hmmmmm any thoughts??
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • ilovedirt
    My chain used to be silver, it's black now. Might as well just keep the silver one...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Twelly
    I thought about getting a gold chain once

Then I realised my surname wasn't 'Cent' or 'T'
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    I'm loving the bike so far and the white powder coating looks mint .
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • steelie600
    edited May 2012
    IT66T wrote:
    I'm loving the bike so far and the white powder coating looks mint .

I bought a white seat post for it too and the powder coat on that matches exactly! = WIN

HOWEVER bearing in mind my seat post hole is for a 30.9, the post is 30.9+ powder coat (not by me might I add by the manufacturer) = Kev's had to dig his king pin bush reamer out to shave 0.1mm(ish) the internal diameter of the seat post recepticle!!

Kev was most puzzled at why the correct post wouldn't go in the front bottom hole till it tigged about the powder coat!

Seat post isnt going back tho cos it matches innit! I might have to trim it down tho, bought a 400mm one with the mindset get a long one and chop it down, cant extend one thats too short can ya!
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • Twelly
    steelie600 wrote:
    Kev was most puzzled at why the correct post would go in the front bottom hole

*giggle*
  • steelie600
    one of the other forums I spam on has "front bottom" on the swear filter for bar stewards. Thought it would be funny
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    ilovedirt wrote:
    I think it's just a generic BSO frame tbh, I used to have a Barracuda that was almost identical to that.
    this- dropzone.jpg
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • steelie600
    I kinda hope it isnt a bso, although this does bear more than a passing resemblance. Im gonna have to do some digging to see if Raleigh or Derby cycle or what ever theyre called used that frame for more than one bike cos im sure ive seen a Saracen and a Raleigh that look the same too
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    It's a generic frame, see it all the time ridden by the masses in various guises.
  • sloppycowpat
    sloppycowpat Posts: 349
    oh well, a wellish spec'd bso is better than bog standard bso :lol:
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    oh well, a wellish spec'd bso is better than bog standard bso :lol:

Aye, I believe someone has done a similar project on here before but they knew it was a BSO from the start ;)

Whack a few semi decent parts on it and it can't be all that bad I guess, although I bet it weighs a bit?
  • steelie600
    No frame was really light ill try and weigh it in a bit so we can get an idea but personally I think its light compared to my steel framed BSO POS that im on atm!

done slight bit of research as you cand find feck all out about Univega's, and the frame will most definately have been made by Raleigh. SO ive fired an email off to Univega as it stands now, to see if they can shed any light, on wether this frame was used for BSO's and their bikes.

Either way, I like it and im sure it will serve me well, even if the frame is shared with BSO's
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    steelie600 wrote:
    No frame was really light ill try and weigh it in a bit so we can get an idea but personally I think its light compared to my steel framed BSO POS that im on atm!

done slight bit of research as you cand find feck all out about Univega's, and the frame will most definitely have been made by Raleigh. SO ive fired an email off to Univega as it stands now, to see if they can shed any light, on wether this frame was used for BSO's and their bikes.
    seems the wrong shape for univega http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/Bike ... &Type=bike
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • steelie600
    Hmm yer right you know! Defo had their stickers on it tho and was in their box, was open tho, dont think ill have been had over anyhow as it was an ex work collegue that sold it me.

We'll wait see what Univega say about it, IF they reply. But not so hopefull of good news tbh.

Still onwards and upwards, its a fairly decent bike, and ill be blasting it off stuff very soon! AND it looks quite boss! So im happy!
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • steelie600
    Thread title altered to reflect the uncertainty of manufacturer! We shall refer to this bike from now on as a "Ralph One" or just "Ralph" LOL
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • steelie600
    Hallo Peeps

Isa mee, Fatbloke, father of Ralph, I bring thee good tidings and pictures of shiny things!

The post man will be even busier tomorrow! LOL

Today my Stoppers have arrived! Woop
    100_1500.jpg

Although I am gutted the hoses are black though! BUT to be fair they do actually go with my monochrome look so i'll probably just leave em as is!

Also my front brake Bracket has arrived so I have fitted the front caliper.
    100_1501.jpg

100_1503.jpg

I was expecting mounting brackets with the calipers, but alas none come. I already knew I needed a front one due to the 203mm disc, but I've now gotta order a rear one. I've been to every bike shop in Crewe and they all looked at me if I was an alien, "asking for something like that, on a friday? How very dare you!" Except one! Andy at JE Williams was very helpful, he had a couple of spare brackets in his box and gave them to me to try and if they fit drop a fiver in next time im passing! THATS customer service right there. Unfortunately neither of the brackets were the right one, but ill still bung him a fiver anyway!

And my seat and post have been fitted,
    100_1504.jpg

So were getting there! Still no reply of Univega as to whether or not it is one of their frames but meh, its Ralph and he's mine! LOL My geary and bar-ee bits should be here the morn, so more spanner twiddling and HOPEFULLY will be on the road by next weekend!! Canny wait!!
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph