New commuting wheels for Giant Defy

Sangoma
Sangoma Posts: 3
edited May 2012 in Commuting general
Hi Guys,

I've been commuting on my Giant Defy 4 for the last 4-5 years, doing 21 miles a day round trip 3-5 days a week.
My wheels are about shot (wear indicator on rear rim is gone and front is not great either) and I'm looking to replace them soon. As much as I'd love to buy a new bike I can't aford to as new baby on the way. I had the worn out cogset, chain rings and chain replaced last summer by my LBS.
Any advice on some replacement wheels, looking around £200 budget that will deal with the crap Birmingham roads would be great. I'm not bothered about lightweight, I'd prefer tough.
I ride the bike all year, all weathers. Keeps me fit for the MTB! :D

Thanks in advance.

Barny.

Comments

• godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Mavic Aksiums seem to get a lot of recommendations at that price point.

If you want durability over light weight then I'd go for a pair of handbuilts from Spa Cycles:

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s178p0
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Planet X AL30 model C's?
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    I like my hope hoops pro3 hubs. Just discovered the rim tape is not good (imploded on a spoke nipple) so have put Velox on them. Other than that they are cool at £300ish
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I like my Halo Aerorages. About £180. Light (I know you said that wasn't important) and strong and very smooth running.
  • Sangoma
    Sangoma Posts: 3
    Thanks guys, I'll take a look at your recommendations, much appreciated.
    The hand-built Spa ones look interesting...

Barny.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Handbuilts, definitely.

32 spoke Ambrosio excellence on Novatec hubs would be my choice.

I got some open pro rims one the novatec hubs from a guy who posts on here if you want his details pm me.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017