Campag carbon record 10 speed

Tedbaker
Tedbaker Posts: 12
edited May 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi, just wanted to get people's thoughts on the campag carbon record ten speed, is it a lot worse than the 11 speed ergo? I have a chance of buying a new chain set, rear and front derail, for £350, is this a decent price?
Ted

Comments

• Extralight
    Extralight Posts: 136
    I can't comment on Record 11 speed, but 'worse' is certainly not an appropriate description for the Record 10 speed gruppo, which I can vouch for as being excellent, durable and lovely looking. £350 for ergolevers, rear mech and chainset sounds like a very good deal indeed, provided the kit's in good condition. I think I paid about £150 on ebay for my levers, and about £80 for the rear mech (all second hand) - I'd be pleased to get a carbon Record chainset for £120 if I had the money and could find one... in the meantime, my lovely alloy Record c/set will have to do!
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,560
    I have both gruppos in use, Record 10 speed and (Super) Record 11 on another. The principal difference in use (other than the extra gear) is that the hoods shape on the 11 speed levers is rather more comfortable to me. The 10speed Record hoods are a bit hard and flat by comparison. But, the shifting quality of the Record 10sp is every bit as good as the newer model. It's a superb set.

If you are getting only the F/R mechs and chainset, make sure you can lay your hands on an appropriate set of the Ergo shifters in 10 speed as well, as those are the bits that are getting harder to find in good nick at a decent price, at least out here anyway. Be aware they did a couple of models of FD and Ergo, some with the "QuickShift" designation. All that means is that the front derailleur and ergo shifter should match for optimum performance - something to do with the cable pull ratio for the FD I think. You can use a QS FD with a non-QS shifter and it will work fine, and vice versa, just that the best result comes from a matched set.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Tedbaker wrote:
    Hi, just wanted to get people's thoughts on the campag carbon record ten speed, is it a lot worse than the 11 speed ergo? I have a chance of buying a new chain set, rear and front derail, for £350, is this a decent price?
    Ted

If no ergo shifters included at that price, then £350 is OTT for just chainset and the 2 mechs.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Personally think the pricing is just about right. I run 10 speed Record still, it's a fantastic groupset.
  • Tedbaker
    Tedbaker Posts: 12
    Thanks for the info, it's a never used, still in packaging crankset with new packages RD and FD, thought the price was good but that's interesting, I'll keep an eye out for cheaper set. Thanks again
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I run 10 speed record and have done for the past 10 years. Love it.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I'm still running 10 speed Record on my race bike - might not have the finesse or light-touch of more recent groupsets, but has a reassuring, positive mechanical feel which is what I like when I'm racing - not having to look down to see where my chains got too which is a problem if you ride on cr@ppy, rough roads as you cant feel the gear shift on some transmissions. With regard to intercompatibility, I've happily mixed Ultrashift front mechs with older-model shifters without problem.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Tedbaker wrote:
    Thanks for the info, it's a never used, still in packaging crankset with new packages RD and FD, thought the price was good but that's interesting, I'll keep an eye out for cheaper set. Thanks again

Don't let my opinion put you off, as others might think differently.