Chorus brakes with mudguards

giant_man
giant_man Posts: 6,878
edited May 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi - providing the ground clearance on the frame is there, does anyone know if you can run Chorus brakes with full-length mudguards eg SKS or similar? thanks

Comments

• Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    I'm running Athena skeleton brakes (presumably the same design/dimensions as Chorus) on a Dolan Preffisio with SKS P35 guards. No problems on the rear (single pivot) but the front guard rubs the tyre on the right hand side when the brake (dual pivot) is applied. It still works OK as the guard springs off the tyre when the brake is released.

I can't fathom a way of setting them up to avoid this, so I'm inclined to think it's due to the design of the caliper.

Rob
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Generally, for full size guards, you need long drop callipers, but Campag only make short drops.

You could try cutting back the side of the guard just where it fouls the calliper arm when the brakes are applied?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The older-style, non-skeleton calipers have more clearance than the new ones IME - but a lot depends on the frame and forks too
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • giant_man
    g00se wrote:
    Generally, for full size guards, you need long drop callipers, but Campag only make short drops.

You could try cutting back the side of the guard just where it fouls the calliper arm when the brakes are applied?
    This is exactly why i'm asking the question you see ....
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've run some on one frame where it was tight to fit a 25mm tyre and yet other frames where there was about 4mm room - enough for a Crud Guard, probably too tight for an SKS guard though. You could probably fit a pair of SKS Raceblade XLs though
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Oh - I use Crud Road Racer MK2s on a bike with no real clearance, 23 tyres and Centaur Skeleton brakes.
  • giant_man
    Yeah, I use crud mk 2s on another winter bike. I wanted full length ones this time, that can stay on. I'll be running vittoria pave 24s also.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    I use SKS Raceblade Long with Campagnolo Athena brakes.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-race-blade- ... guard-set/
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    giant man wrote:
    g00se wrote:

This is exactly why i'm asking the question you see ....

Whether or not you need long drop calipers depends on the frame and forks. My Dolan with Alpina forks is designed for standard calipers. I'm not sure long drop calipers would allow more clearance or even work on my bike.

Rob
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    giant man wrote:
    Yeah, I use crud mk 2s on another winter bike. I wanted full length ones this time, that can stay on. I'll be running vittoria pave 24s also.

What's not working with the Cruds then? They are as full length as SKS. My Ribble wears them all year round.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • giant_man
    Nothing, they're fine, but they're plastic and temporary imo ...