Is a Cheap Work Stand worth it

mak3m
mak3m Posts: 1,394
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Been looking at some cheap workstands as bike N+1 arrives next week.

Been looking at park tools PCS9 gets a good BR review

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... tand-18991

However that review is 4 year old, any owners out there got any comments or tips much appreciated

cheers

Comments

• antikythera
    antikythera Posts: 326
    I cant speak for the specific model your looking at.

But I have a PT PRS20 for maintenance and then a cheaper tacx for cleaning duties.

There is a marked difference between the two, the Park is a lot more solid with heavier duty materials, better construction around pivots and clamps. The tripod legs also make it a lot more stable. The cheaper stand just doesn't fill me with confidence. In particular for heavy duty work like bottom brackets, I'll always use the PRS because it is a lot more stable and I seems more up to the task.

I guess, like any tool.... you get what you paid for..
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I got given one a while back, it does the job you want it to do. Big improvement over other stands I've used in the past that have held the bike at the bb/downtube and forks.

Nice and stable, as long as you're using it on a relatively flat surface, holds the bike at a decent height and holds it well to work on. As a product if feels well built, sure it's bottom of the park range, but it's decent.

Doesn't take long to set up, literally pull it all out, flip the supporting legs down, tighten 2 bolts (4 or 5mm hex). Not much effort at all really and you don't need to worry about taking the front wheel out etc. It collapses down to quite a nice size too, although not tiny it's small enough to tuck out of the way when you're not using it.

They're about £75 from ribble I think... not saying it's the best or fanciest stand out there, but it's bloody good and does the job it's supposed to.

Edit. Just reading the review I'll echo the point they make about the clamp taking a little time to close, you do have to support the bike a bit. I mean it's not that bad, can sometimes be a tad irritating though.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Any work stand is worth having. I got a £30 one from Aldi which does the job fine although I'm sure something costing triple figures would be better.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got the £50 Ribble one.

It's very good, I really miss it when I have to work on the bike without it.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • snapper52
    snapper52 Posts: 34
    Just bought the Raleigh folding stand from Amazon for £67. Excellent stand with secure base and light weight. Great value, wish I'd bought one years ago.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    cheers peeps

gone for the PCS9 pick it up with new steed on Saturday