KCNC Razor rotor problem

The Spiderman
The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Tried some new KCNC Razors rotors on my Anthem and had what I think is a compatability problem.The outside edge of the rotor seemed to be catching on the caliper.

I fiddled with the caliper alignment and improved it a little,but on a shakedown run managed to destroy a pad with the backing coming away from the backing.Fiddled again and same result!

I`ve now refitted the original Shimano rotor and brake works fine but I wondered if there is way of making the KCNC rotor work?

Brakes otherwise function fine with the Shimano rotors and are now fitted with new Superstar sintered pads and are freshly bled.

I noticed when compared to the Shimano RT 75 rotor the KCNC rotor seems to be a bit thicker.

Brakes are Shimano M770 XT,160mm 6 BOLT rotors on Fox F100 RL forks.Forks are post mount so caliper is direct fit with no adapptor..

Not sure if it was a bad KCNC rotor which was just slightly out of tolerance or if a bit of tweaking via a washer,shim or facing of the post mount might help?

Or is there a light rotor that is dimensionally/ the same thickness as Shimano?
2006 Giant XTC
2010 Giant Defy Advanced
2016 Boardman Pro 29er
2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
2017 Canondale Supersix Evo

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So the rotor is a little bit bigger in diameter?

Add a spacer between the caliper and adaptor.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Spiderman
    Nick,The KCNC was thicker.

Outside diameter visually appeared to be the same,via sight alone.(Though the KCNC has a cutter profile on the outside edge,but total diameter appeared to be the same.)

Ever run into a similar problem?

BTW rear worked fine with the KCNC.

It`s not a biggie as the brakes work perfecty with the original rotors but wondering if this was a one off,if there is a way I can make the KCNC work,or whether there is another lightweight rotor that I can try that will work with my combination of brakes,forks and wheels?
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Ok then it sounds like the pads were not fully retracted.

Or how does one end work and not the other?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Spiderman
    Hmmmm,think you might be onto something there.Last set of front pads were worn a little unevenly.I will try cleaning/resetting and centring the pistons and caliper.

Thanks Nick
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4