Servicing Formula (?) hub?

konadawg
konadawg Posts: 447
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, not immediately obvious how to take apart - any tips?

Hubs on WTB wheels on a Giant X1, the previous version.

Thanks in advance... piccies...

img3306t.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

img3301o.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Giant Reign X1

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Press fit retaining ring. Knock out from the inside.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • konadawg
    Hi Nick, do you refer to the ring visible on the non-disc side? There is very little to latch on to, to knock out from the inside.

Is there some tool I could make up perhaps (piece of flat bar, ground?) to hook in to the limited edges available internally (of the end caps) to knock that one side out together with the retaining ring? What about the bearing on the opposite (disc) side - would this have to be driven inwards, then out from the non-disc side i.e. unseated and then re-seated temporarily while passing through the hub's opposite end? :shock:

Appreciate some detail if possible, thanks!
    Giant Reign X1
  • nicklouse
    It is on both sides it is what keeps the 20mm cups from falling out.

Yes very little to aim for. But you should be able to knock the inner tube off to one side to get to the inner race.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    maybe use a 20mm axle to lever it gently, just to loosen it
  • konadawg
    nicklouse wrote:
    It is on both sides it is what keeps the 20mm cups from falling out.

Yes very little to aim for. But you should be able to knock the inner tube off to one side to get to the inner race.

Thanks, I'll take a closer look but back in the days when the hub was clean :shock: the disc side cup retainer seemed to be part of the hub i.e. nothing really removable.
    Giant Reign X1
  • nicklouse
    if that is so then you will be having two different sized bearings to allow them to both come out from one side.
    complex need two set of tools. Not happening with a Formula hub.

both bearings will be pressed out from the inside and pressed in from the out side. just like 99% of the cartridge bearing hubs out there.