MTB or Road Bike for Touring?

charlie.deacon
charlie.deacon Posts: 2
edited May 2012 in Tour & expedition
Hi all,

Doing a tour through France this summer for a couple of weeks. I have a Specialized Allez Sport Triple 2010 and a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 2006. I was wondering which bike would be most appropriate for the tour and would require least modifications. The reach on the hardtail is more sympathetic.

Cheers!

Comments

• culverwood
    culverwood Posts: 256
    My own preference would be for the Hardrock but then I am more interested in long lunches and load lugging than miles per day. The Hardrock would also give you the ability to cycle some tracks and canal side paths that might not be so comfortable on the Allez.

Just get some touring tyres and a rack for the Hardrock and you are there (and bar ends if you do not already have them).
  • are you camping or staying in B&B? If camping then you'll struggle to fit all the kit on a road bike - it's possible but you've got to be really disciplined. Probably need to get disc-specific rack for the Hardrock, but they do exist.
  • danm99
    danm99 Posts: 22
    Would prefer to ride the road bike but you are very limited kit wise, depends on how much gear you like to take!
  • ohara227
    ohara227 Posts: 225
    I would use MTB and fit lower resistance tyres, if your mainly on the road and needing to carry a lot. Just ensure tyre pressures are right no matter what, as I got caught out using 28mm tyres with a pannier. Per Culverwoods post bar ends are good, I use these on my hybrid when touring.

If your using a rucksack, make sure its got a strap round the waist and the one higher up, use both as it saves your shoulders getting rubbed if you don’t have holes for a pannier rack. My cousin after about 30 miles felt his shoulders get sore, then used the higher up strap (he forgot he had one) and it made a big difference.

Incidentally he used his Allez, however we used B&B so didn’t need a tent etc so light luggage done for a few days.
    'The hills are alive with the sounds of panting'

Rides:

MTB - Giant 2008 Trance X2
    Road - Giant 2010 Defy 2
    Hybrid - Giant Escape 2011 City 2
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Roadie. Don't make my error and ride a compact chainset fully loaded over the Alps, great strength training mind! But I see you already have a triple so all you need to do is place a wider ranging cassette on the back i.e. lower gearing. Little modification needed. Some racks are tricky to fit due to the brake placement, easily solved with a M:Part seatpost clamp.
    IMG_5898-PS.jpg