Offensive advertising

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,467
One of the most prominent advertisers on the Bike Radar page at the moment is "badideatshirts". If you actually look at their site it's clear that many of the products they sell are an extremely bad idea indeed, and that there is a overwhelming dominance of extreme right-wing-U.S. slogans in their "policical" section:

http://www.badideatshirts.com/IMMIGRANT ... K-P83.aspx
http://www.badideatshirts.com/MISSION-A ... P1726.aspx

Is this really the sort of advertiser that Bike Radar wants to be associated with?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds more like your browsing habbits are being turned into similar adverts by the advert provider.

never seen any of the mentioned adverts.

can you see an Ad Choices tag on the adverts?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • neeb
    nicklouse wrote:
    sounds more like your browsing habbits are being turned into similar adverts by the advert provider.

never seen any of the mentioned adverts.

can you see an Ad Choices tag on the adverts?
    Yes, there is an Ad Choices tag. Sorry, didn't realise that these ads were coming from Google rather than Bike Radar. If this is targeted advertising, clearly it isn't working very well.. :wink:
  • nicklouse
    if you get a screen shot then post it up then maybe the powers that be could do something?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    I obviously hit a raw nerve when I posted "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" three wise monkeys picture into this discusssion which has been "moderated" away, pathetic! Ha ha :lol:
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • nicklouse
    no it just had nothing to do with the question asked.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    People still see ads?? Adblock plus ftw :lol:
  • neeb
    People still see ads?? **Nobody likes ads but they pay for the site so please have the class not to whine about them** plus ftw :lol:
    So you'd be perfectly happy using a website paid for by any advertiser without complaints? How about the BNP or Al Qaeda?

Obviously if these ads are coming from Google this is by the by, but if advertisers are paying for space on a website that website can choose who it allows to advertise in line with the aims and target audience of the site, and people using the site have the right (I would say moral obligation) to complain if something is really inappropriate, as they are ultimately the people who are paying for it, being the advertisers' audience.

Such "whining" is more generally known as actively participating in democratic society with some sense of social responsibility, but I guess that's not "classy" enough for the likes of you.
  • nicklouse
    got to love the word filter. ;)
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    nicklouse wrote:
    got to love the word filter. ;)
    I have to admit,that filter is genius :lol:
    neeb wrote:
    People still see ads?? **Nobody likes ads but they pay for the site so please have the class not to whine about them** plus ftw :lol:
    So you'd be perfectly happy using a website paid for by any advertiser without complaints? How about the BNP or Al Qaeda?

Obviously if these ads are coming from Google this is by the by, but if advertisers are paying for space on a website that website can choose who it allows to advertise in line with the aims and target audience of the site, and people using the site have the right (I would say moral obligation) to complain if something is really inappropriate, as they are ultimately the people who are paying for it, being the advertisers' audience.

Such "whining" is more generally known as actively participating in democratic society with some sense of social responsibility, but I guess that's not "classy" enough for the likes of you.
    Thank you for the rant. It would appear that a certain word(the name of a common add-on for Firefox which disallows ads) I used got chewed up by the sites word filter and was replaced with a creative yet contraversial comment instead.

I understand your frustrations but not the need to take them out on me. No apology needed,afterall the mistake was yours. :lol: