What bike for the Megavalanche?

garethrob
garethrob Posts: 5
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am doing the Mega in July and have a couple of questions -

1. What is the best bike for the event that i can also use in UK - looking at the Stumpy Evo, Scott Genius LT, Specialized Enduro, Trek Remedy - willing to spend about £2.5k

2. Whats the best body armour to get?

3. Any advice on the event? Is it hard - tips etc welcome

4. Whats the 2012 Specialized Enduro like on climbs?

Comments

• teamfleurs
    teamfleurs Posts: 1
    edited June 2014
    TeamFleurs Mega Avalanche / Megavalanche Race Team
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Nice one teamfleurs - that little write up has got me excited for the Cervinia Maxi in a couple of months!

To the OP - I had the 2011 Spesh Enduro Comp last season for a few days and I was amazed at how well it climbed.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    All the bikes you listed will be up for the job, but I'd imagine the enduro and the genius LT would be more suited. Test them if you can, however you won't go wrong with the enduro. Not tried one, but I've not heard a bad word about them, and they seem to be very popular.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You can do it on just about any bike. I know people who do it on 140mm trail bikes & others who use downhill bikes.
    A downhill bike will give you an advantage in qualifying & on the tech descents. I bought a Giant Reign X to do it on this year which I think would be perfect but expensive car trouble has stopped me from going.
    2012 Enduro should be fine climbing, the older ones are ok. I ride XC on my Reign X around the Quantocks and that's heavier than the enduro with more travel & coil suspension front & rear with no lock out.
    The Orange Alpine 160 is ok but they can be a bit prone to cracking at the top shock mount & they sound like a sack of spanners after a couple months riding no matter how well you look after them.