Silly commuting racing

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    Interesting start to last night's commute: followed three gleaming field guns out of Finsbury Barracks and down past Liverpool. Quite daunting staring down the muzzle of one of those; off to Westminster I guess for the state opening today.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • oh and also forgot to say it was lovely tailwind last night, didnt get any KOM, but a lovely warm 40 degree hot tub was waiting for me, works wonders ;o)
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Ended up going my normal route in the end.

All was fine, Storck guy was always about 20-30 m ahead of me, I couldn't be arsed racing him, or getting his spray in my face. A taxi pulled into me in Farringdon, just pulled into the bus lane while I was there, and then to the kerb, I felt the car pushing my thigh and managed to get out just before he knocked me off. Fucking cnut, I hope the fist mark I left on his bonnet costs him a bit.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    karlb wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Felt OK, then got scalped by a short guy on something blue and white, with an orange ruck-sack cover. Managed to get a tow from a truck back up to him but then lost him through some slightly more risk averse filtering. Took myself off for some intervals as punishment.

Weather forecast looks poo for tomorrow :(
    If it was some time after 6, and the short guy was wearing all black, that was probably me. Assuming you've got the same "icon" on strava anyway (just uploaded last nights commute this morning and noticed I was riding with you).
    Sounds about right. Good speed.

This morning was less fun, got a visit from the PF 2 mins from my front door. However that was a blessing in disguise as I realised that I'd left the saddle bag containing tyre levers at home. It also contains wallet, phone and security pass so wasn't too miffed. Just meant I was 30 mins late into the office after I walked home and changed the tube.

@Mr_Ribble: Was in shorts and SS top today too. Was a little "fresh" for the first few miles but was probably the right call.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • whitebait01
    whitebait01 Posts: 610
    Went for a gentle 37 miles on Monday and after a pain free few weeks my knees have started hurting again. :( Yesterday morning was uneventful, taking it easy on the knees. Rode back last night with my housemate on his panniered up Dawes Galaxy, so not much in the way of pace at all. Snuck off ahead through the tunnel and overtook a woman with good pace, slowed down to wait (for ages) for my mate and she came past again. Saw blue storck guy and a chap on a Fuji at Vauxhall Bridge lights, but slow friend and dodgy knees meant I wasn't going to push myself...
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,054
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    I realised that I'd left the saddle bag containing tyre levers at home. It also contains wallet, phone and security pass so wasn't too miffed.
    *Works out way to remove said bag on route without him noticing*
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    @Mr_Ribble: Was in shorts and SS top today too. Was a little "fresh" for the first few miles but was probably the right call.
    I am the definition of the right call :)
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    Who rides a red "decade?" fixed bike with rucksac? I caused him a brief worry on the late way home last night post 9.20 pm
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Went out in W1 last night, good food, good location, good company and a goodly amount of alcohol. Normally I would go back to Aldgate, change and cycle home but I thought as I was just off TCR, I would tube to Charing X & train home to Lewisham - simples and 40 minutes.

All very well but this meant a bus to Lewisham DLR & then DLR to Shadwell and a walk in this morning. Took well over an hour crammed into tight spaces with other smelly people hacking and coughing over me followed by a damp walk through the grotty back streets of Tower Hamlets.

Last time I'll do that I think.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Pufftmw wrote:
    Went out in W1 last night, good food, good location, good company and a goodly amount of alcohol. Normally I would go back to Aldgate, change and cycle home but I thought as I was just off TCR, I would tube to Charing X & train home to Lewisham - simples and 40 minutes.

All very well but this meant a bus to Lewisham DLR & then DLR to Shadwell and a walk in this morning. Took well over an hour crammed into tight spaces with other smelly people hacking and coughing over me followed by a damp walk through the grotty back streets of Tower Hamlets.

I hate PT. First time today in about 3 months and my freaking reason for getting the train has now cancelled till Friday, FUUUU!
    Actually dreading the hot humid sweaty train home now. Think I'm developing claustrophobia or its the £15 I handed over for the pleasure :evil:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Who rides a red "decade?" fixed bike with rucksac? I caused him a brief worry on the late way home last night post 9.20 pm

He commutes from/to Putney, I think. Face mask? Think he rides a 50x15 or 16.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • aeon
    aeon Posts: 167
    i've got an awful, hideous, ear-splitting skroinking sound coming from my bottom bracket. i'd just like to take this opportunity to apologise to anyone who is unlucky enough to ride near me this evening / tomorrow morning.

that is all.
    FCN 10 - Crosstrail
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    cjcp wrote:

He commutes from/to Putney, I think. Face mask? Think he rides a 50x15 or 16.

Yes, figured you'd know (of) him. Can maintain 21/22 quite easily and I don't have the fitness for that atm.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rjsterry
    iPete wrote:
    Pufftmw wrote:

I hate PT. First time today in about 3 months and my freaking reason for getting the train has now cancelled till Friday, FUUUU!
    Actually dreading the hot humid sweaty train home now. Think I'm developing claustrophobia or its the £15 I handed over for the pleasure :evil:

Why didn't you take the Brompton?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Where'd you disappear to Mr_Ribble? I soft pedalled for a couple of miles but no sign?
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,054
    JZed wrote:
    Where'd you disappear to Mr_Ribble? I soft pedalled for a couple of miles but no sign?

Your route was better. No lights. Even when I was just turning onto Millbank you must have already been going through VB lights. Sorry, but I would have been no competition. Good to have you back. The past week has been hollow (apart from some CJ time yesterday morn)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I had a tail wind home, i know it's amazing but true however did I get to use it? nope because I couldnt see the farking road through the rain/mist/fog :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • iPete
    rjsterry wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    Pufftmw wrote:

Why didn't you take the Brompton?

Lent it to a mate who has a dodgy commute for a few weeks and I've practically given up PT!

Oh and it's a bit akward on dates, the girls get a bit jealous :wink:
  • itboffin
    Hmmm i think you need to expand on the "date" topic in a thread of its own, after all its been a while since we all meddled in someones private life. :mrgreen:

do iiiiiiiiiiiiiT!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • iPete
    itboffin wrote:
    Hmmm i think you need to expand on the "date" topic in a thread of its own, after all its been a while since we all meddled in someones private life. :mrgreen:

do iiiiiiiiiiiiiT!

Maybe after date 1! Met her on the train back from a Brighton ride, broke the ice asking if she could smell my shoes and socks drying on the rads :lol:
  • itboffin
    :lol:
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    I have not ridden since Wednesday. I have done 6 days/5 nights on rugby tour.

What are the odds that tomorrows commute won't hurt?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • rjsterry
    iPete wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

do iiiiiiiiiiiiiT!

Maybe after date 1! Met her on the train back from a Brighton ride, broke the ice asking if she could smell my shoes and socks drying on the rads :lol:

You used wet-dog cycling shoes as a chat-up line :shock:
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    A Boardman Road bike pulls up beside me at a Red Light last night, naturally he jumps the light and sets off, 30s later I'm away on Green and am looking in front, thinking should I pursue or not... half heartedly I get the heap up to 22 and am closing the gap going into a bus lane.... 30s later an ex DHL van pulls straight across the bus lane without indicating for a side road, how the chap in front didn't plough into it I really don't know.

He then proceeds to filter between lines of oncoming traffic and at this point I discontinue the chase.
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    wilyb!

think i saw you last night - you were on a ribble tho? you managed to filter ahead at PS...and u were off...i was feeling rubbish yesterday (hence no riding in today)...then saw you doubling back on embankment (so thought it must be you drawing your squiggly lines again....)
  • anonymousblackfg
    anonymousblackfg Posts: 2,029
    Nothing in the rain riding home at 9pm last night appart from moped vs bin lorry on the fulham road, a bit of shouting, then it looked like the mopen rider got back on his hair dryer, throttled it, went straight up the kerb by mistake and into a wall coming off in spectacular fashion!

Not much on the way in but a a fixie passed me on the prtsmouth road then the usual scattering of nodders around on the remaining journey.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • iPete
    rjsterry wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

do iiiiiiiiiiiiiT!

You used wet-dog cycling shoes as a chat-up line :shock:

I was simply being a gentleman :lol:
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    edited May 2012
    richVSrich wrote:
    wilyb!

think i saw you last night - you were on a ribble tho? you managed to filter ahead at PS...and u were off...i was feeling rubbish yesterday (hence no riding in today)...then saw you doubling back on embankment (so thought it must be you drawing your squiggly lines again....)

Yup, that was me :) Very nearly finished building the Ribble, just need to put guards on and then it's done! What were you on again? Edit: Just read your sig, i'll keep an eye out!

Also saw TETM again last night at the start of Embankment, but then obviously given the mess around PS lost you! As I was doubling back along Grosvenor Rd, I saw you again. Infact RichVSrich you were probably close to him!

Did a lap of regents this morning a bumped into a chap on a SS I often see close to home, he always gives it the beans and spins very quick. Seems that I did him around Regents Park though, no where to be seen 8)

Just remembered what seemed a very quick chap on a white Condor fixie, with Rapha/Condor/Sharp bibs, and deep section wheels, Made the break as we pulled off from the junction before Blackfriars on Embankment, but tbh don't think it really counts as I turn off there.
  • rjsterry
    Had fun chasing Mr Ribble this morning (I think). He came past near the Physic Garden* and I just about managed to keep up (i.e. not lose sight of him) until after the fun of weaving round the back of Westminster Abbey, where I lost him in the mayhem. On balance, I think I prefer the Lambeth Bridge option, although not much in it. V. sweaty on arrival.

* I was on a white steel framed Giant with Raceblades, blue Northwave jersey and navy Crumpler bag.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Traffic lights and dviersions are really mucking up my last week of SW commuting. Did have one moment of fun when a Trek took up pole position at VB lights. Bike and rider seemed familiar so I decided it was Tetm (I was wrong!) and let the Trek hang out front until the Tate when I decided he'd suffered enough and span it up to 31mph and away.

Nothing much else of mention. Was hoping a poorly Mr_Ribble would appear along the way so I could inflict some pain.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Evening to Coroioioioioioioioidian last night, that caused me to spend more energy than I wanted to on the way to training last night.

Trying to have a slow day today, keeping the heart rate below 130. Was very tempted to abandon the plan when the black Cervelo with deep section rims came past but resisted temptation and let him go. More pootling tonight before tomorrow's race at Dunsfold.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.