Tools needed for changing a cassette

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

Pleasecan someone guide me in the right direction regarding what tools i need to change a cassette.
My lbs will charge me approx £12 to change cassette and chain plus the hassle of driving my bike down there & picking it up.
Whats tools do i need and if you have links to cheap ones (that will kinda last) then that would be much appreciated too.
It is for a 9 speed cassette on an XT cup & cone hub.

Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    A chainwhip, shim cassette tool and a large spanner for that.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Oh and chain tool for the chain even if you use quick links.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    Thank you!!
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • gaff_taff
    gaff_taff Posts: 346
    I got a shimano cassette removal tool on the bay, set me back the sum total of £2.68 :D Works absolutely fine for what i need and didn't turn to cheese when i used it, also got a chain tool off there for 3 quid,

you really don't need to spend loads on names brands like park tools etc unless you want them last years or you use the tools loads
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Agreed - I have a crappy toolkit from Halfords and it's absolutely fine for odd jobs.
  • nicklouse
    gaff_taff wrote:
    I got a shimano cassette removal tool on the bay, set me back the sum total of £2.68 :D Works absolutely fine for what i need and didn't turn to cheese when i used it,
    one of the best cassette tools available :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I think he meant a tool for Shimano cassettes, not that the tool was from Shimano....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    I think he meant a tool for Shimano cassettes, not that the tool was from Shimano....

Mmmm i was just thinking that now.... :wink:
  • gaff_taff
    gaff_taff Posts: 346
    Yeah i meant a cheapo for a shimano lockring :D