XT rear mech

morleyman200
morleyman200 Posts: 513
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
hi all, just come across with a problem with 2 of my rear mechs, boh of the XT, one being 2 and a hlaf years old, one being about a year old. both of them have always been well cleaned after rides.

the problem lies where the mech attaches to the frame, the bolt, bolts up fine, but once attached to the frame there is no movement in the link (part which attaches the bolt to the mech itself) before it has been able to move, it is where the torx screw is. ive tried squirting lubricant on it and soaking them in boiling water with fairy liquid and have also soaked them in white spirit. no luck

any ideas?

is this a known problem, as my deore rear mech which is about 1 and half years old, gone through the same cleaning, is fine, fully functioning.

Tom

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Torx? Most are allen bolt.

You want a decent penetrating oil on there and then working it to free it up and then lube it, boiling it with fairy sounds about the worst thing to do (Fairy contains salt).

No idea why it's happened, my XT is fine.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • morleyman200
    When I say torx, I mean the bit bellow the Allen key bolt which attaches it to the frame, its the hinge bellow that part, hmmm, I'll try some oils, got any recommendations?
  • The Rookie
    Pics of which bolt you mean......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • morleyman200
    hope the picture is clear, judging by the size of the bolt in comparison with a T25 key, i would estimate it to be a T30 maybe
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Why do you want to undo that bolt? There's no need.
  • The Rookie
    As chunkers said, that bolt holds the cable abutment rigid, it ain't meant to move!
  • morleyman200
    really? ever since i got them both, they have moved, on my other standard deore it moves. thought it was meant to? im not trying to undo it, just thought it was a bolt for a pivot which moved, and now it doesnt move.
  • Chunkers1980
    It pivots, remove the circlip from the back and it may undo. Once mech in on it fixes and then acts as a pivot for the parallelogram
  • Chunkers1980
    Btw, it's only on shadow type, older it is done differently
  • morleyman200
    mine is a shadow rear mech, ill just try some oils, its annoying as the gear shifts arent as smooth, and when i try to take the wheel out, the rear mech wont move out the way, so i have to take the rear mech off to get the wheel off, annoying i know!

Tom
  • Chunkers1980
    Well there's something up.

The mech needs to pivot on that bolt, hence why you have rubbish shifting.

You're saying that the bolt in the picture does not move?
  • morleyman200
    i havent tried to undo the bolt, as i dont have the correct torx key, but i know the bolt acts as a pivot, and now it is no longer acting as one, the whole unit is fixed around that bolt.

just funny how its happened to 2 of my XT rear mechs, one being only a year or so old and the other being about 2.5 years old, and my deore one is fine, and thats as old, but all had the same cleaning treatment.
  • Chunkers1980
    So if you pop an adjustable spanner around the outside an lever it, it does not budge?
  • morleyman200
    if you try really hard to move the rear mech around the pivot, it will, but only with alot of force, but its that stiff, to change a wheel its easier to remove the rear mech, as its in the way of the drop outs.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    both of them have always been well cleaned after rides.
    This won't be of any help now, but I swear, some people clean their bikes so obsessively that they end up causing problems.
  • morleyman200
    i dont consider myself to be an obsessive cleaner, squirt a bit of muck off and wash off with a pressure washer
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    i dont consider myself to be an obsessive cleaner, squirt a bit of muck off and wash off with a pressure washer
    Nooooooooooo
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Pressure washer, well... There's your problem.