getting a shorter stem, do I need wider bars?

BigLee1
BigLee1 Posts: 449
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi folks, I`m getting a shorter stem for my Dawg deluxe fs. It was originally on a 110mm stem with a 680mm bar but I`m seeing a lot of bikes now with really short stems and wider bars. I`ve ordered a 70mm stem from carbon cycles to try and was wondering if I need to mate it with a wider bar and if so what should i expect from the handling with said wider bar? I`m rather looking forward to being able to move around the bike a bit more rather than the feeling of being stretched out :)

Lee

Comments

• gaff_taff
    gaff_taff Posts: 346
    Can't comment on the stem shortening as i have always rode the same one, but it will make you less stretched out and in a more wide posistion, the difference between bars is a different story, when i changed mine for longer ones i loved it, felt much more in control and little bumps or rocks had much less of an effect, Chopped about 8mm off each side and i love it, perfect for me, Just buy bigger and cut off however much you wan't

Just be warned, them gates that used to be a bit of a squeeze wont be so much fun anymore :twisted:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's a personal thing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    A shorter stem will have you sitting more upright and many people combine a short stem with a wide bar so that they are not sitting too upright, whilst at the same time having a more direct feel to the steering.

As others have said wide bars are a matter of personal preference but what you should be looking for is a bar that still allows you to flex your elbows and move about easily while riding.