Yam Yam 101

mattshrops
mattshrops Posts: 1,134
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
You may be aware that i'm a recent arrival in the wonderful county of shropshire.(Yes afraid so- my names matt and i'm in shropshire- never did have much imagination)

People of Shropshire seem to be struggling occasionally with my very slight ahem accent.

So lesson one:
When someone approaches you and in a strange voice says "orright" the correct response is NOT "yes very well thank you". The correct response is of course..."orright"

please dont thank me i consider it my civic duty :D
Death or Glory- Just another Story

Comments

• BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    From your spelling I'm guessing you're not far from the Wolverhampton tinged part of the county. Don't be afraid of the locals, they won't bite!
    I'm a Staffordshire lad currently living on the South Coast, and much as I love Hampshire, IMHO you are living in one of Britain's most beautiful, and underrated counties. Stick with it (and take a translater if you go beyond Oswestry!)
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • mattshrops
    wow you tracked me to wolverhampton from orright?
    Excellent deduction holmes.

Have to be honest dont miss it at all - just need to teach the locals to speak a bit better :lol:
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    Ha ha have rellies from the Black Country so you were spotted straight away. We always used to tell them off for "yimmin" and "yammin", like they were foreigners. Happy days. You jammy get, I used to spend my evenings and weekends cycling around West Staffs/E. Shrops. Enjoy (not at all envious :mrgreen: ).
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • mattshrops
    Strangely i have relatives nr bournemouth and also nr portsmouth, was down there in the warm spell and managed a nice lap of the new forest. Great area as long as you stay off the main roads- where a bunch of maniac bellends lie in wait.
  • cycologist
    cycologist Posts: 721
    Worro chap. I'm originally form Wolvo too - born an' bred. I escaped to Wombourne (Staffs- just about) some 25 + years ago but they all speak fluent yam-yam 'round 'ere. Whereabouts in Salop are you. The eastern border of Shropshire is only about 10 miles from Wolves but I suspect you must be deeper in the heart of of this rural idyll than Claverley or Bridgnorth.
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • mattshrops
    Orright.

Living in Ironbridge at the mo. some fantastic riding round here.
    Not really sure you can class wombourne* as an escape tho

* Wombourne pronounced "Wumbun" :lol:
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    Orroigght chap.
    Get yesself over to Weston/Ivesty bank for some proper roidin
    Couple of pints of Banks' Mild after...bostin.
    Can you tell I'm missin' the place :cry:
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    mattshrops wrote:
    wow you tracked me to wolverhampton from orright?
    Excellent deduction holmes.

Have to be honest dont miss it at all - just need to teach the locals to speak a bit better :lol:

From the YamYam I would guess...
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    cycologist wrote:
    Worro chap. I'm originally form Wolvo too - born an' bred. I escaped to Wombourne (Staffs- just about) some 25 + years ago but they all speak fluent yam-yam 'round 'ere. Whereabouts in Salop are you. The eastern border of Shropshire is only about 10 miles from Wolves but I suspect you must be deeper in the heart of of this rural idyll than Claverley or Bridgnorth.

Is a Yam-Yammer not strictly from Cannock?
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    Ah Ms Ride on toime...we've been expecting youw (god typing the accent is hard work but fun!)
    Welcome to God's countroi.. Staffordshire.
    Sort out yer Brownhills from Yer Lichfield (chavs :wink: ), from yer Rugeley and get back to us.
    And when you get half way there... you moight get to be a Stokie!

Can you tell I'm bored...

And don't get me started on Cannock....
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    And don't get me started on Cannock....
    Oi yow, was up wi Cannuck? All this waggin boot Wombun, Wolvo and Cannuck is too close for comfut. R was born in Wombun, moved to Wolvo wen r was 5 and moved to Cannuck 12 year agoo. R went on oliday last munf to Shrewsbry an ad a great time cyclin the Long Mynd. Boston over ther ai it. Ai dun Ironbridge yet, must try tha.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    Nowt wrong with Cannuck...just anner right?
    Thoy'se of yow living up there, enjoy.

Midlands chap living with the Frenchmen (owroight, daaaann saaaarrf)
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Shropshire..... 'Cycling Heaven'

Live in the west of the county surrounded by fantastic cycling lanes, shall be doing the Three Rivers Audax from Wem in a couple of weeks nice ride up and over the highest road pass in Wales the Bwylch-y-Groes taking in Vrynwy, Bala, Lake Tegid then back over the Berwyns and down the Tanant Valley. 165km. :D