chain and cassette help

dazzzer
dazzzer Posts: 72
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I want replace my sons chain and cassette on his 29er bike the old one is KMC Z99 9 Speed Chain and Sram PG-950 9-speed 11-32T . I have never removed a chain or Cassette
before but i have been watching a few videos of u tube and decided I might at lest give it a try . Fist can I use any 9 speed chain - and - 9 speed cassette with the bike>? I want to buy something that is more of an upgrade over the bike parts being used . I will probably stick with kmc
chain and sram cassette can anyone recommend what would be a good upgrade ? Also If I get the same link length chain will the chain just be a perfect fit ?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I would go SRAM chain and an XT cassette. Your chain will need sizing. So tools needed. See Parktools for the correct info and toos needed.

Just keep the SPDS the Sam and no probs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dazzzer
    dazzzer Posts: 72
    Just one more question about the chain i have noticed there are different amounts of links some say 112 - 114 and 116 - Should i get counting the links on my old chain ?
  • vanamees
    vanamees Posts: 75
    You have to cut new chain to correct length.
  • cloudynights
    cloudynights Posts: 351
    nicklouse wrote:
    I would go SRAM chain and an XT cassette. Your chain will need sizing. So tools needed. See Parktools for the correct info and toos needed.

Just keep the SPDS the Sam and no I probs.
    gk
    Some people would call you for recommending a sram chain over a kmc
    I on the other hand would agree with your recommendation sram chain with a xt cassette
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Why some People call him? I don't have his number so won't.
  • cloudynights
    cloudynights Posts: 351
    Why some People call him? I don't have his number so won't.
    Grow up kid
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    IF the original chain was the right length, and IF you fit a cassette with the same number of teeth on the largest ring, then just shorten the chain to the same length, however much easier to follow the instructions on parktools or that come with the chain and size it correctly!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Papa Ado
    Papa Ado Posts: 76
    Stick with KMC. If you want an upgrade, you can go up to X9, X9L (light), X9SL (super light).