n+(1+1)

thecrofter
thecrofter Posts: 734
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
I've just bought a tandem :D

Should be a few laughs for my boy and me. I briefly took it down to the bottom of the street and back, my God, it's weird. It has the turning circle of an ocean liner which might take a bit of getting used to. First proper trip is scheduled for Sunday, over to the football and back, looking forward to it.
You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!

Comments

• appletrees
    appletrees Posts: 327
    Don't try and take the racing line around roundabouts - things can get a bit interesting ofor the person on the back.

Also, if there is, for example, a street light, road sign or other immovable object within about 3 miles, don't try to corner sharply.

It's fun being on the front, because you sort of know what's going on, but the person on the back will simply feel the pain as you bounce them off things.
  • thecrofter
    appletrees wrote:
    Don't try and take the racing line around roundabouts - things can get a bit interesting ofor the person on the back.

Also, if there is, for example, a street light, road sign or other immovable object within about 3 miles, don't try to corner sharply.

It's fun being on the front, because you sort of know what's going on, but the person on the back will simply feel the pain as you bounce them off things.
    Noted. I'm quite looking forward to having to learn a whole new cycling experience.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    One of the formative experiences of my youth was riding a tandem with a Norwegian au pair. :shock:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    One of the formative experiences of my youth was riding a tandem with a Norwegian au pair. :shock:

I've always wanted to go 'twos up' with an au pair too...
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • thecrofter
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    I take it you were the stoker :shock:
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    thecrofter wrote:
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    I take it you were the stoker :shock:

That would be telling. 8)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,208
    No beans at breakfast!
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    Riding & the au pair! Ding Dong If may say so! :P

I thought riding was an obligatory part of the au pairs job spec :wink:
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • eede
    eede Posts: 58
    My Mrs can't see too much on the back of ours. I found you have to learn a relationship led by you on the front. Tell the stoker you're going to stop at a junction. Agree to freewheel, don't just stop. In short, make your intentions clear in advance.
    Friend of Herne Hill Velodrome: http://www.hernehillvelodrome.com/friends/
  • thecrofter
    eede wrote:
    My Mrs can't see too much on the back of ours. I found you have to learn a relationship led by you on the front. Tell the stoker you're going to stop at a junction. Agree to freewheel, don't just stop. In short, make your intentions clear in advance.
    Interesting, so lots of communication is the key. Could be a problem my son, in common with most eight year olds is a lot better a talking than listening. :)
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    My dad used to tell tales of my uncle and him on a tandem which they used to get to work, possibly in the early 1940's

My uncle was the oldest and insisted on being at the front. In those days they wore massive cycling capes when it rained and my dad would get under the cape and put his feet up on the crossbar. Because my uncle couldn't see the pedals for the cape("are you sure you're pedalling our kid?"), my dad would get away with a free dry ride to work or home.

They were capable of quite high speeds for the day, and once found that they were being followed by a pack of racing cyclists who were using them as pace setters. Dad had to shout back and tell them they were nearly home and about to stop to avoid a pile-up.

The tandem days came to an end when they had a puncture one rainy day. Uncle jumped off the bike and ran onto the back of a bus. When asked "what about the tandem?" by my dad, he shouted "It's yours, you can have it!" So my dad went to the nearest bike shop and swapped it for a Claude Butler. :D

The older I get, the better I was.

• edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I've stoked on a tandem (and a tandem trike) but not piloted, they are a bugger to get up a hill but proper fast on the descent !! you know when the stoker isn't pedalling, it feels like you've started climbing but not changed gear

you soon get into a telepathic rhythm in terms of cornering, tempo, stop start so after about 1/2 an hour you don't need to shout loads of directions
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight