iPad help

pauldavid
pauldavid Posts: 392
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
Good evening gentlemen,

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy an adaptor so that I can connect my Bryton rider 50 to my iPad to download rides using the USB lead I would normally plug into my pc.

All help gratefully received.

Comments

• balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Almost certainly not. The only USB input for an iPad is part of the camera connection kit, and it only recognises cameras.
  • No I tried to do the same thing when I got my iPad. The problem seems to be that it wants to charge itself when connected, which the iPad isn't currently able to do.
    It's a shame as its much more convenient than getting the laptop out after every ride.
  • pauldavid
    pauldavid Posts: 392
    Oh well mind, nice idea while it lasted. I was thinking along the same lines, iPad is so much easier than firing up the laptop.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    balthazar wrote:
    Almost certainly not. The only USB input for an iPad is part of the camera connection kit, and it only recognises cameras.
    Balthazar is correct, you can buy a USB adapter for the iPad but the only type of device the operating system will recognise is a Camera class device.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Typical Apple, complete lack of compatability with anything. I'm still not sure why so many people buy their products.
  • Gizmodo
    Pross wrote:
    Typical Apple, complete lack of compatability with anything. I'm still not sure why so many people buy their products.
    I only have 1 Apple device, the iPad. Compared to the competition it is simply the best tablet around - superb quality screen, fast, the simplest to use by far and the most Apps to download by far. The only negatives are the lack of support for Adobe Flash* and USB memory sticks, and of course iTunes which I can't abide.

*Which is diminishing now anyway because Adobe have now withdrawn from the mobile market so there will be no more Adobe Flash on any portable device.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Pross wrote:
    This made me laugh. I can't plug my Garmin into my TV, smart phone, car, fridge or toaster either, should I berate the manufacturers of those devises too?

The iPad is quick and has great battery life because it does a limited subset of things a computer does. It's not designed or marketed as a laptop replacement.
  • Pross
    Gizmodo wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I only have 1 Apple device, the iPad. Compared to the competition it is simply the best tablet around - superb quality screen, fast, the simplest to use by far and the most Apps to download by far. The only negatives are the lack of support for Adobe Flash* and USB memory sticks, and of course iTunes which I can't abide.

*Which is diminishing now anyway because Adobe have now withdrawn from the mobile market so there will be no more Adobe Flash on any portable device.

I've got an iPhone3 which I now only use as an iPod. The missus wanted an iPad but was put off by the lack of ability to connect to our printer and lack of software compatability. I love the quality of Apple kit but in this day and age I think they have taken the wrong track in making things incompatable with other products.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Pross wrote:
    I've got an iPhone3 which I now only use as an iPod. The missus wanted an iPad but was put off by the lack of ability to connect to our printer and lack of software compatability. I love the quality of Apple kit but in this day and age I think they have taken the wrong track in making things incompatable with other products.

Why blame Apple because your printer doesn't connect with it?

I have a bunch of perfectly excellent PC accessories which are from the XP days, with which Windows 7 flatly refuses to communicate. The device manufacturers haven't bothered to provide an update to the drivers for these things, but that is apparently Microsoft's fault by your logic?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Pross
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    This made me laugh. I can't plug my Garmin into my TV, smart phone, car, fridge or toaster either, should I berate the manufacturers of those devises too?

The iPad is quick and has great battery life because it does a limited subset of things a computer does. It's not designed or marketed as a laptop replacement.

Fair point but most other tablets on the market will have greater compatability, just as most smartphones do - it's the reason I switched from my iPhone.

OP, is the Bryton ANT+? If so you should be able to connect via a Wahoo dongle.
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:

Why blame Apple because your printer doesn't connect with it?

I have a bunch of perfectly excellent PC accessories which are from the XP days, with which Windows 7 flatly refuses to communicate. The device manufacturers haven't bothered to provide an update to the drivers for these things, but that is apparently Microsoft's fault by your logic?

It's not a software issue though, it's just not possible to physically connect it. As above though this is probably a tablet issue more than just iPad - I've never really seen the point of them, probably due to not using one.
  • Wheelspinner
    Pross wrote:
    It's not a software issue though, it's just not possible to physically connect it. As above though this is probably a tablet issue more than just iPad - I've never really seen the point of them, probably due to not using one.

100% agreement on this.. Until such time as the iPad is delivered with phone capability, it's a complete WOFTAM. The smartphones already do everything you need in a handheld device in a quarter of the size.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Pross wrote:

100% agreement on this.. Until such time as the iPad is delivered with phone capability, it's a complete WOFTAM. The smartphones already do everything you need in a handheld device in a quarter of the size.
    But that's missing the point too. My iPod does pretty much everything the iPad does but it's too small for what I want, whereas the iPad is perfect for casual web browsing, email, vast amount of apps that just work and the quality speed & battery life is more than fine from where I sit. I'm no Apple fan, it's just a device that works superbly.

Next view please.
  • Wheelspinner
    I *am* an Apple fan. Have an iPhone, 2 iPods, am on my second iMac, had an iBook laptop till it died, and use their Time Capsule router, Airport Express and Apple TV.

They all work superbly. I just don't see the value in the iPad when for very little more money you can have the Macbook Air, which kills it for functionality, is still extremely portable, has great battery life, and does everything the iPad does and a shed load more.
  • Pross
    Apologies for taking this off topic, to get back on track it looks like this

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/wahoo-fitness-wahoo-ant-dongle-key-for-sensor-reception/aid:527906/?origin=pla&kw=&gclid=CITG-Ne25q8CFQQMtAodmUfB2A

would enable the data to be uploaded to the iPad via ANT+.

Probably worth checking with Bryton though.
  • Gizmodo
    Pross wrote:
    FTFY iOS: AirPrint
  • Pross
    Gizmodo wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    FTFY iOS: AirPrint

Yep, and I would have had to go out and spend yet more money on a compatible printer.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I *am* an Apple fan. Have an iPhone, 2 iPods, am on my second iMac, had an iBook laptop till it died, and use their Time Capsule router, Airport Express and Apple TV.

They all work superbly. I just don't see the value in the iPad when for very little more money you can have the Macbook Air, which kills it for functionality, is still extremely portable, has great battery life, and does everything the iPad does and a shed load more.

Most people just want instant access to internet, email and a few apps, on a decent size screen and for that I don't see a better alternative to the ipad. I'd agree with you on the higher storage/3G versions, but I doubt they sell many of them.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    My retired mother and father have an iPad, and a PC, always had computers...

Must admit, iPad even my Mum is using, the fact its got one button and you touch the things you want makes it really easy for old folks.

Saying that, I wouldn't want one myself, give me a laptop anyday, I use a Macbook Air now, which suspends and resumes upon opening and shutting it so quickly, is perfect for me....

...anyway, the couple of gripes for real people in the real world I can see on iPad come from the simple fact that Apple don't seem to realise a big portion of people want an iPad INSTEAD of a computer not AS WELL

If Apple realised this, they'd make it connect to lots of printers, and rid it of synchronisation (if chosen) so people can load on photos from their camera's memory card when on holiday etc. (Both things that can be done with Android Tablets).

I don't think the average person is into Sync'ing and hence iTunes, same with Backups, see how many people are happy dragging and dropping some files to copy them to another disk vs going through the logic of setting up Backups, I know which one the average 65year old is capable of.

As a side note, to a 65 year old using something called iTunes to get your photos on and off and do updates is baffling, I think it was two hours after the box was opened I got bored of hearing 'I don't want any music on it though' from my dad everytime I mentioned iTunes. (iTunes is surely the most awkward piece of Software around isn't it?).
  • Gizmodo
    mfin wrote:
    ...can load on photos from their camera's memory card when on holiday...
    Actually that is the one thing that you can do with the Apple attachments. Either by connecting your camera through a USB cable or by putting an SD Card in.
    MC531?wid=326&hei=326&fmt=jpeg&qlt=95&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.5,0.5,0,0&iccEmbed=0&layer=comp
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4101
  • Wheelspinner
    APIII wrote:
    Most people just want instant access to internet, email and a few apps, on a decent size screen and for that I don't see a better alternative to the ipad. I'd agree with you on the higher storage/3G versions, but I doubt they sell many of them.

Not seen any figures, but I did a lot of work for Apple implementing a new ERP system in Asia Pac some years back. One of the overwhelming problems they had was that every time a new product was introduced, they went into instant supply problems with a backlog, because they got the sales projections wrong every time.

They would almost always decide to manufacture about 30% as the base model, 40 - 50% as the mid-range spec, and the remaining 20 - 30% as the top spec for stock before launch. Inevitably, the top spec models would sell way above predictions, the base model would sit in the warehouse for ages till they decided to strip and upgrade them (hellooooooo Cube!) and the middle range did ok, because people settled for that instead of the top one.

You'd be surprised I think.. more than most brands, Apple sells the bells and whistles models at a much better percentage. One reason they are so wealthy.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Pross wrote:
    It's to keep them under control. iPads are a kind of gated community, with Apple approving all Apps' content.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Pross wrote:
    It's to keep them under control. iPads are a kind of gated community, with Apple approving all Apps' content.

They still keep struggling on...

Apple has sold over 200 million iOS devices to date.
    IOS is the number one mobile operating system, with 44% of the market.
    25 million iPads were sold in the first 14 months.
    Fifteen billion songs have been sold on the iTunes music store.
    ITunes is the number one retailer of music in the world.
    There are 90,000 apps made specifically for the iPad
    There have been 14 billion downloads from the app store so far.
    The App Store has over 425,000 apps to date.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I'm definitely not an apple fan, however I'm writing this on an iPad 3, I have an iPhone 4 and an AirPrint printer. I switched from because if annoying little things my apple stuff just works.

I do wish that I could connect my garmin to my iPad, hopefully one day they'll allow something similar or garmin will make make the new ones wifi. Might look into the wahoo ant+ adapters.

On the subject of AirPrint printers, mine was £35 so not bad for an apple compatible product.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    prawny wrote:
    I'm definitely not an apple fan, however I'm writing this on an iPad 3, I have an iPhone 4 and an AirPrint printer. I switched from because if annoying little things my apple stuff just works.

I do wish that I could connect my garmin to my iPad, hopefully one day they'll allow something similar or garmin will make make the new ones wifi. Might look into the wahoo ant+ adapters.

On the subject of AirPrint printers, mine was £35 so not bad for an apple compatible product.

Shame it doesn't correct mistakes in your posts :wink::lol:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    It seems to have censored the word Android :/
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    team47b wrote:
    Pross wrote:

They still keep struggling on...

Apple has sold over 200 million iOS devices to date.
    IOS is the number one mobile operating system, with 44% of the market.
    25 million iPads were sold in the first 14 months.
    Fifteen billion songs have been sold on the iTunes music store.
    ITunes is the number one retailer of music in the world.
    There are 90,000 apps made specifically for the iPad
    There have been 14 billion downloads from the app store so far.
    The App Store has over 425,000 apps to date.

And Apple made a profit of $11.6 BILLION for the first three months of 2012. That's nearly $2 for every single human on the planet. Depending on your view, that's either a ringing endorsement of the free market, or a completely obscene distortion of it.
  • solosuperia
    solosuperia Posts: 333
    Can anyone tell me without being to partisan, why an Ipad is better than my cheaper Sony S and Apple Mac is better than my Ubuntu 12.04 system..... I have to declare my bias, I feel Apple is a bit of a fashion statement.

Taxi for SoloSuperia please!