bike-discount.de any good?

Twelly
Twelly Posts: 1,437
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Anyone had any experience with www.bike-discount.de?

Seems to be some good deals on there but I find myself a bit wary of ze Germans...

Any good/bad stories about ordering from these guys?

Comments

• specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    Been a couple of threads about these and have seen generally good feedback. I'll be using them myself next month for tyres.
  • Twelly
    I did search but can't seem to find any posts, although I do remember seeing the name flashed in a couple of threads.

They are so much cheaper than my LBS its hard to ignore..
  • kagefisk
    kagefisk Posts: 74
    Have ordered 2 bikes from them. They are good to go.

Choose english language at the top of the page - helps you a bit :)
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    Only used them once, ordered a Nobby Nic Trailstar (unavailable in UK) one Sunday night, the tyre arrived the following Wednesday.
    No complaints, would use them again :D
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Anyone had any experience with http://www.bike-discount.de?

Seems to be some good deals on there but I find myself a bit wary of ze Germans...

Any good/bad stories about ordering from these guys?

I've ordered from them a few times already.

No problem with them so far.
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    ordered, received quickly-ish, no probs. Only 1 transaction to comment on but it was fine.
    Peter
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Worried about Germans? Never heard that before (..hahaha...well except the obvious of course :? )

Usually very efficient by all accounts. Used both Bike-Discount & Rose and few times - never had any problems.

Now - if it was Bike-Discount.Nigeria or Bike-Discount.Indonesia I might see you point...
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Sambuca
    Sambuca Posts: 116
    I've found them very good- 2 days delivery for my items
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    .de no prob for me too. ordered a few things, all arrived within a few days, as described and undamaged.
    Peter
  • ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    Used them before. Stuff arrived before the items I'd ordered from Blighty at the same time.
    Probably going to use them very soon to buy a new Grouppo as they're coming in cheaper then the Ribble deal by 20 quid at the mo
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Bought some tyres from them, bargain price, delivered quickly.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    Bought a groupset, reverb and other bits from them at various times. No complaints here. Speedy despatch and delivery and great prices.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • Twelly
    Worried about Germans? Never heard that before (..hahaha...well except the obvious of course :? )

DON'T MENTION THE WAR!

Cheers for the replies guys, I'd better get ordering..
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    Well I've just ordered some tyres from them, so I'll let you know.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • TimoH
    TimoH Posts: 120
    It's my favourite shop. Highly recommended, based on experience of 25+ purchases.

Their Radon mountain bikes provide tremendous value for money.
  • jonny2773
    jonny2773 Posts: 56
    Used them once for tyres, Hanns Dampf snakeskin trailstar and Nobby Nic Evo DD pacestar .....couldnt find them in the uk, or at least couldnt find out what compound anyone in the uk were selling, and the price was far cheaper than in the uk......took 3 days to arrive. I was so impressed i might even order my next bike from them
  • flatneasy
    flatneasy Posts: 26
    I found them by accident while looking for some sort of site that just showed discounts from UK. Ordered a few things - seem very reliable.

There seem to be more "european" sites selling parts now - there's bikeinn as well - seems to be in Spain, although they've got other non-cycleing sites, so not sure how good they would be.
    I should probably be a bit more open to ordering from non UK, especially now Wiggle is US owned afaik.

If anyone interested, found this on my searches, which is partly what I was looking for in the first place although doesn't feature pedals Doh! Hopefully they'll finish it sometime http://www.cyclediscounts.co.uk
  • I'd say yip... purchased a Hans Dampf and just 3 days later the posty arrived with a large box, extremely well packed and protected and at a SNIP of the UK price... me like!
    current steeds
    mountain - Scott 'Scale 80' [2012]
    hybrid - Raliegh 'Urban 3' [2008]
  • Twelly
    I don't know if anyone noticed by signature go from 'Cube LTD (on order)' to 'Cube LTD Pro (on order)' - I managed to find the LTD Pro on bike-discount.de for £2 cheaper than the standard LTD from LBS. So cancelled my order and after a lot of discussion with my bank about why I was trying to send £857 to Germany.... placed my order auf Deutsch! Well chuffed..

See what it's like when it turns up...
  • Dubdemand
    Dubdemand Posts: 37
    I look forward to hearing about your imminent arrival matey! I'm about to press the button on a LTD SL from them so really interested to know how 'set up' it is when it arrives and how long delivery took!

Bit worried about spending the best part of £1k with a euro company but the saving makes it so tempting!
  • Twelly
    Well going by all the comments on here it seems legit... well I hope it is anyway as I have just parted with 1001 euros!

Yeah I did think about the whole set up and obviously I won't get the same back up as I would with LBS but I do all my work myself so I figured I'd rather save almost £100

You can look forward to a thread in 'Your Mountain Bikes' when it arrives
  • flatneasy
    Do you reckon the price diff is an general exchange rate thing, or is that a clearance type offer ?
  • Twelly
    I'm guessing it will have something to do with the supply chain i.e. German website selling German products direct to customers in other countries, cutting out a few people in the middle. Or they may have preferential rates with the manufacturers for some reason or might simply be because the Pound is stronger against the Euro than it has been for a couple of years, I don't know.

Whatever it is, I've saved £100 so I don't really care..
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Superb! I've just received my SRAM Red compact BB30 170mm, cheaper and quicker than any UK company. I went to them because the three or four big UK suppliers who's websites "claimed" the above item was in stock, was not in stock. The Germans quickly responded to my email asking for confirmation of availability, assuring me they had stock. I am happy to purchase from them again but disappointed that so many UK companies give misleading information about what they actually have. The above item will not be available from UK suppliers until at least July.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • flatneasy
    If its like many other German cos, they can probably hold more stock because they're actually supported by their banks, rather than threatened, while also having more financial cred. with suppliers.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Exchange rate may help. VAT is 19% also instead of 20%.

I wonder if they're supplying OEM models or something too though. e.g. the Reverb as far as I can see is cheap mainly because it's not supplied with the bleed kit. Whilst many don't want or need it, that's £30 value which could explain why it's cheaper. One supplied without the kit could be an OEM one, i.e. one used for a new bike build and typically they may not provide the bleed kit to the end customer in that case.
  • Twelly
    flatneasy wrote:
    If its like many other German cos, they can probably hold more stock because they're actually supported by their banks, rather than threatened, while also having more financial cred. with suppliers.

This would make sense - better credit = bigger orders = larger bulk discount from the manufacturers. They do seem to have very good stock levels on the website (little indicator for each product tells you how much they have in) whereas my LBS said I would have to wait up to a month for my bike to come in.

Whatever the reason it's working