Bash ring on an XT 2x10 crankset??

sofaboy73
sofaboy73 Posts: 574
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
In the process of a new build and have decided to go with an XT 2x10 crankset. Is there any way of fitting an external bashing to this crank set? My previous double & bash set up was a converted 3x9 XT crankset, ie took the big ring off and bash in its place. Obviously no big ring to replace on a new 2x10 so not sure how I would fit a bash? I'm sure there's a delightfully simple solution that I can't for the life of me figure out!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get a 3X10 crankset.

or nope.
    or look at a frame mounted device.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sofaboy73
    Cheers for the swift reply nick. Looks like some form iscg device it is then. Previously always used a stinger to tension the chain so some form of stinger / taco guard would work I'm guessing? Any recommendations?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why not just get a 3x10 crankset and swap the big ring for a bash? By far the easiest solution
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sofaboy73 wrote:
    Cheers for the swift reply nick. Looks like some form iscg device it is then. Previously always used a stinger to tension the chain so some form of stinger / taco guard would work I'm guessing? Any recommendations?
    RANT time. How does a stinger add tension? it can not. all it does it hold the chain onto the ring more and reduce the ammount of free chain to the rear mech. as the mech has the spring that is what controls the tension in the lower chain.

back to your question no ideas sorry.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sofaboy73
    nicklouse wrote:
    sofaboy73 wrote:
    RANT time. How does a stinger add tension? it can not. all it does it hold the chain onto the ring more and reduce the ammount of free chain to the rear mech. as the mech has the spring that is what controls the tension in the lower chain.

back to your question no ideas sorry.

ok, so tension was the wrong word, but you knew what i meant.

re: getting a triple an converting it, could do, but would want a bigger 'middle' ring than 32T, but i suppose its not a biggy to swap it out for a 36T or 38T
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    MRP and Truvativ (a copy of the MRP I think) do chain devices that work with 2 rings and have a built in taco. Quite expensive though.
  • sofaboy73
    peter413 wrote:
    MRP and Truvativ (a copy of the MRP I think) do chain devices that work with 2 rings and have a built in taco. Quite expensive though.

the mrp / truativ do appear to be one in the same and a good solution to the problem. You're right theyre not cheap at c £110.

have had a look further into converting a triple chainset into a double an bash set up, and hitting a bit of a sticking point in that finding it very difficult to find any shimano 36 or 38T 10 spd rings anywhere. found a 9 spd which i'm guessing would work, but reluctant to do a bodge job right from the off on a new drive train.

with the increasing popularity of 2X10, i'm a little surprised there isn't any other solutions to the problem of chain guide / chain ring protection out there (other than the mrp at £100+). or am i missing something?
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    It's a right pain. I went through all this with my 2x10 xt setup and I've ended up just foregoing the idea of a bashguard and am using a bionicon c-guide to aid chain retention. It works an absolute treat and while I would have liked a bashguard it's not a dealbreaker and ultimately I'd rather have a 'proper' 2x10 setup with reasonable ratios instead of the 3ring bodge job option. I would assume that shimano manke replacement rings of the right type, but like you I was unable to find them when I last checked. Expect you would have to order them special from somewhere, likely at some sort of prohibitive cost.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • sofaboy73
    delcol wrote:
    does it have to be a shimano xt crank..

i got a raceface turbine 2x10 with basshring,

yep, will be a XT crank as buying a groupset from bike-discount.de for the barganous price of £320 (works out significantly cheaper than buying seporates)
    clamps81 wrote:
    It's a right pain. I went through all this with my 2x10 xt setup and I've ended up just foregoing the idea of a bashguard and am using a bionicon c-guide to aid chain retention. It works an absolute treat and while I would have liked a bashguard it's not a dealbreaker and ultimately I'd rather have a 'proper' 2x10 setup with reasonable ratios instead of the 3ring bodge job option. I would assume that shimano manke replacement rings of the right type, but like you I was unable to find them when I last checked. Expect you would have to order them special from somewhere, likely at some sort of prohibitive cost.

looks like i may be following your lead on giving up on the bash then unless i want to shell out for the mrp / truativ unit
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    sofaboy73 wrote:
    found a 9 spd which i'm guessing would work, but reluctant to do a bodge job right from the off on a new drive train.
    In what way would it be a botch job, it's a meaningless label, there is no difference between a 9sp and a 10sp chainring, the chain internal width is the same, the rings are the same width, the chain is narrower but the side plates have teh same shape for the pins to pick up on.

Get a 3x10, sell the 2 outer rings (or all three depending) and then fit a 36/38 'middle' ring an either keep the 22 or fit larger small ring.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.