Andy Schleck: Why Not the Giro?

napahighcycling
napahighcycling Posts: 23
edited May 2012 in Pro race
This year at least, the Tour doesn't look like it suits Andy's racing, with too many time trials.
Other than lust for the yellow jersey, it seems like it would make more sense for Schleck to focus on the Giro, which may suit him a little better.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    That would be the sensible thing to do, but methinks Andy's only got eyes for the Tour. Besides, who else do LeopardShack have as a GC contender? Frank? Same issues as Andy. Horner? Possibly, but he's not getting any younger.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    He paid to win the Tour - There isn't a huge amount of value for his sponsors in the Giro.

I'm unconvinced by the argument that the Tour route doesn't suit him. Yes, he's a blinking awful TT'er, but he's known what the route is since October and I will certainly count him as a favourite to win.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    iainf72 wrote:
    He paid to win the Tour - There isn't a huge amount of value for his sponsors in the Giro.

I'm unconvinced by the argument that the Tour route doesn't suit him. Yes, he's a blinking awful TT'er, but he's known what the route is since October and I will certainly count him as a favourite to win.

Does he still have a stomach of anger?
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    iainf72 wrote:

Not sure knowing the route will help him. I can see Wiggins taking at least 6 minutes out of Schleck in the time trials, so unless Schleck goes on another long break away it's tough to see him taking enough time in the mountains.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Its the Tour though. He has to ride it. He would look even more of a pussy than he usually does if he bailed out because he didnt like the course.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Think he would be in his best interst to look to do both. Go all out in the Giro then try to get in a position to ride the Tour. If he has a good showing in the Giro then looks out of place in the Tour he would not have lost face.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    If he sits this one out then Bertie will be back and he'll still fail to win. Other than Wiggins and Evans he's in with a chance and both of those have been known to crack in the mountains. It's also conceivable that one or both won't make the finish.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Andy Schleck: Why Not the Giro? Because he will bottle it as always.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    there are three tough mountain stages and if Andy attacks with 50km on the hard days, maybe he can take 6 to 8 minutes? His TT against Contador at end of 2010 TDF shows he can limit the damage in some TTs. What other tactical approach can he and Bruyneel take? Maybe they will send Frank away first?
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Dave_1 wrote:
    there are three tough mountain stages and if Andy attacks with 50km on the hard days, maybe he can take 6 to 8 minutes? His TT against Contador at end of 2010 TDF shows he can limit the damage in some TTs. What other tactical approach can he and Bruyneel take? Maybe they will send Frank away first?

I think we can ignore that TT in 2010. For whatever reason that wasn't the attacking Contador we usually see in that race and even in the TT he spent all race edging to the front then back of his seat like a typewritter. I put that close times down to Contador being off rather than Andy being good that day
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    Eddy came round for lunch the other day and we were chatting about this very subject.
    I mentioned that I thought Andy should be a Grand Tour winner first (i.e. the Giro) before so comprehensively committing to TDF (is there any other way of committing?). Yer man reminded me of this article
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/merckx- ... ro-ditalia
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Schelck lost 2:41 to Wiggins in the 2010 Tdf TT on the penultimate day, that was over 52Km. Incidentally Wiggins lost 3:33 to Cancellara, so maybe Brad at the end of a 3 week tour isn't quite the TTer he is at the end of a 1 week race. Bertie's time was closer to Schleck than Canc on that day, maybe the beef didn't get delivered.
    I think that come July Schleck will be thereabouts regardless of the course.
  • Schleck has already shown his competence in the Giro in 2007, and he's stronger and much more experienced now. I believe that he needs to get some more experience winning grand tours by holding on to the leader's jersey in the Giro, where the time trials aren't as decisive and the climbs are more important.
    He looks like he has the potential to dominate the Giro for a few years, which would be better for him.
  • dave_1
    dougzz wrote:
    Schelck lost 2:41 to Wiggins in the 2010 Tdf TT on the penultimate day, that was over 52Km. Incidentally Wiggins lost 3:33 to Cancellara, so maybe Brad at the end of a 3 week tour isn't quite the TTer he is at the end of a 1 week race. Bertie's time was closer to Schleck than Canc on that day, maybe the beef didn't get delivered.

Doug, I think Wiggo was in top 25 in GC so was sent off near the back of the field that day when the headwind got really bad so maybe some of the gap to Cancellera is accounted for by the conditions on the day?? I guess Wiggo wll need to be within 2 1/2 minutes of Andy Schlek going into stage 19 of 2012 TDF
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Dave_1 wrote:
    dougzz wrote:

Doug, I think Wiggo was in top 25 in GC so was sent off near the back of the field that day when the headwind got really bad so maybe some of the gap to Cancellera is accounted for by the conditions on the day?? I guess Wiggo wll need to be within 2 1/2 minutes of Andy Schlek going into stage 19 of 2012 TDF
    Yeah, conditions changed a lot in that TT. Of the GC guys, only Wiggins and Menchov were in/near the top 10 in the TT.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • But in the Giro, Schelck wouldn't have to worry about the time trials as much, and he could focus on the mountain stages.
  • dave_1
    But in the Giro, Schelck wouldn't have to worry about the time trials as much, and he could focus on the mountain stages.

I think for Schleks, for most people, the Tour de France is the biggest cycling event of the year. In a way I think the route is good because it militates against the high steady tempo setting by certain strong teams that kills off mountain stages until the last 5 miles of jumps and accelerations by fresh team leaders. The Schelks and other climbers will see the climbs as more valuable and every climb they sit in the wheels of their train of domestiques is 1 less climb to the gubbing they will take from Wiggo and company in the TTs...this will surely mean climbers not waiting for the last 5 miles of summit finish to jump away and gain a minute...but make them race the 50 miles up to the finish line to distance TT GC guys. I think TDF organisers are smart and are deliberately fighting against the stultifying tactic the big teams have in place with their radios and strong teams that kill off attacking racing
  • Good point, I like that. But I'm merely stating that Schleck would have an easier time with the Giro, but he wants the Tour too much to consider it. :|
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    but he wants the Tour too much to consider it. :|

Good. Maybe he'll actually ride it like he wants it then, as opposed to someone out on a Sunday club run.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Dave_1 wrote:

A refrigerated pannier full each rest day?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Dave_1 wrote:

I've never seen Contador so smashed. He said after he was in immense difficulty and had to dig 10 holes deep to maintain his lead, just like a true champion.

contador.bmp
    Contador is the Greatest