Kinetic 1 wheels any good?

Lempod
Lempod Posts: 90
edited May 2012 in Road buying advice
Looking for a cheapish aero wheelset to put on for TTs. Seen some kinetic 1 wheels on ebay and on their own website. Does anybody have any knowledge/experience?!? Seem decent to me but I'm no wheel expert!

Comments

• Mike39496
    Mike39496 Posts: 414
    I bought a set of the red K1's for £195. They look awesome and they are much easier to accelerate than my old wheels, I use them for TT's.
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    Check this out, a few really like them

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12780111&hilit=Kinetic
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Deep section alloy rims are heavy and a drag to accelerate... all the (small) aero advantage is lost in the extra effort required to bring these beasts up to speed.
    People tend to overestimate the aero advantage... it is in fact very small, becoming more and more relevant as the speed goes up. But how long can your legs keep going at 25 mph? Or, is the stretch of road long enough to allow you to keep that speed long enough to make it worthwile?
    In my view any aero rim which weighs significantly more than a conventional rim is just a cumbersome piece of junk, made for the advantage of the manufacturer only, who can use the extra surface as a billboard to advertise its products
    left the forum March 2023
  • Lempod
    Lempod Posts: 90
    Deep section alloy rims are heavy and a drag to accelerate... all the (small) aero advantage is lost in the extra effort required to bring these beasts up to speed.
    People tend to overestimate the aero advantage... it is in fact very small, becoming more and more relevant as the speed goes up. But how long can your legs keep going at 25 mph? Or, is the stretch of road long enough to allow you to keep that speed long enough to make it worthwile?
    In my view any aero rim which weighs significantly more than a conventional rim is just a cumbersome piece of junk, made for the advantage of the manufacturer only, who can use the extra surface as a billboard to advertise its products

You're not a fan then?!? They do have a version that is around the same weight as my ksyrium elites. Wouldn't they have a bit of an advantage on flat TTs 10m+?! (Over the elites that is.)