touring on mtb

MadGarlic
MadGarlic Posts: 6
edited May 2012 in Tour & expedition
thinking about using GT Aggressor xc2 for touring (Europe) what should I change on it? Is it even reasonable bike for touring? I'm using it daily for commuting so had to change tires(Schwalbe hurricane), any I other parts should I change? thx ;)
Cube Delhi
Specialized Allez Comp Compact

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Perfectly tourable bike.
    I would add some handholds (bar ends or aerobar)
    Toe clips
    Waterbottles
    Rear luggage rack may need to be disc compatible. GT requires very long rack stays to the seatstay mounts so make sure you get good stiff, strong ones.
  • MadGarlic
    MadGarlic Posts: 6
    I've got Toppeak MTX beamrack(e-type) and Toppeak MTX quicktrack, very easy to mount :) but I'm thinking about selling those as the beamrack is quiet heavy...
    Pedals are Wellgo Bear Trap Platform Magnesium MG-26, I'll take toe clips from my road bike, just have to get used to them :)
    I brought just yesterday Tioga Bar Ends PowerStud XS Barends Black but was thinking about buying
    Profile Design Airwing DB Alloy Road Bars.
    And one more think GPS or Map?
    thx
    Cube Delhi
    Specialized Allez Comp Compact
  • culverwood
    culverwood Posts: 256
    I would stick with the bar ends you bought rather than buy the other bars which seem to be more suitable for TTs. If you are touring you are looking for a comfortable position rather than a fast position most of the time and the bar ends give you the extra hand positions you need.

Map for me but I am an old fogey.