Reynolds attack vs mavic r-sys slr vs racing zeros.....

Smirf
Smirf Posts: 123
edited May 2012 in Road buying advice
As a 40th birthday present and with one eye on the etape, I am debating a new set of "best" wheels, with the choices being

Reynolds Attack
Mavic R-SYS SLR
Fulcrum Racing zero's

I currently have a set of Kysrium Elites on my bike, which have been pretty damn good especially being used for a daily commute over the winter, and will keep them for winter riding, with commuting now on (relatively) cheap single speed.

Anyway, I have kind of narrowed my choice down to these three. I did demo a set of Fulcrum redwings and just didn't get on with them. So basically, whilst the bling of deep section is there, it wasn't enough!

I have also demo'd the Reynolds and liked them, great for climbing and seemed more comfortable than my mavics which I assume is down to the all carbon body. In fact I see that in this months Cycling Plus the £8k Parlee sported a set (albeit with Chris King hubs)

My main concern with full carbon rims is descending in the alps. But is this a valid concern? I'm 84kg and 190cm, so whilst not big for my height, should the Absolute weight be an issue in over heating whilst braking?

The Fulcrum Zeros - probably the new competition model - seem to have some consistently excellent feedback. My concern is how much of an "upgrade" they would be vs what is already a decent Alu clincher in my Elite's

The dark horse in the pack appeared yesterday as I popped into a random bike shop and saw the Mavic R-sys sl and slrs. The sl is probably a tad out of my price range, but was quite taken by the SLRs. Especially their braking surface, however I've read some mixed feedback on their spokes. Their crash replacement scheme for a £ seems a cracking bonus

Sorry for the long winded post. It appears I spent less time on deciding which house to buy vs which wheels!!
Parlee Altum - "summer"
Felt VR5 - "winter"
Trek Triton Singlespeed - "commuter"

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    A few points:

1. If you go either carbon or Exalith (Mavic SLR) you'll have to swap brake pads if you want to go back to your Ksyriums. It may sound trivial but personally I find it a pain in the arse.

2. I would strongly advise against carbon clinchers for Alpine riding, the chance of failure is high. I say this as someone who rides Reynolds MV32s. Nice wheels but I'll be swapping to an alu set when I go on holiday.

3. If you like the look of the Mavics but don't want the carbon spokes, you could get the Ksyrium SLR instead of the R-SYS. They're a little heavier but probably slightly more aero, although really both have the aerodynamics of a brick.
  • Smirf
    I'm not worried about swapping pads as I'm assuming that it wil be just twice a year when I swap from winter to summer and back (and I'll tie at least one of those in with a service!)

I guess my suspicion / concern about the Reynolds for alpine descents has been confirmed...

How do you think aerodynamics are vs the elites?
    Parlee Altum - "summer"
    Felt VR5 - "winter"
  • majormantra
    Smirf wrote:
    I'm not worried about swapping pads as I'm assuming that it wil be just twice a year when I swap from winter to summer and back (and I'll tie at least one of those in with a service!)

I guess my suspicion / concern about the Reynolds for alpine descents has been confirmed...

How do you think aerodynamics are vs the elites?

If you went carbon you might want to swap wheels for wet days - shouldn't be a concern with the Mavics though.

Do you mean the aerodynamics of the Reynolds vs the Elites? The whole Ksyrium/R-SYS range has one of the least aero sections out there these days. They are narrow and sharply squared off which is pretty much the worst for aero and in the case of the R-SYS the fat spokes are even less good. Have a look at this - it's a bit old (and not completely uncontroversial) but it gives you an idea of how things stack up:

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-15505311.html

The Reynolds are as aero as any other 32mm vee rim - better than a box section but not nearly as good as toroidal/Firecrest type sections or significantly deeper wheels.

If you want a meaningful alu upgrade you might consider one of the new generation of wider rims which offer better ride quality and aerodynamics. The choices aren't very sexy though. Zipp 101s might be worth a look but they're bloody expensive for their weight.
  • Smirf
    I actually meant vs my current Elites which are seem quite brick like in shape too

I'm not necessarily after aero wheels. My main focus is to gain any advantage up hills!

Appreciate the views so far though. All food for thought, thought interesting no views on the Fulcrums!
    Parlee Altum - "summer"
    Felt VR5 - "winter"
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I think the Elites are bloody good wheels and unless going lightweight, stiff, aero (I.e. expensive tubular) then I think you'll find that the Elites will compare well with anything...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • majormantra
    I'm sure the Fulcrums are very nice but I doubt you'd notice a great improvement over the Elites. It would be a lot of money for a not very great weight saving.

If you want to save weight you might look into a high spec custom build. I expect any wheel builder will talk you out of a super weight weenie build at your weight though.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Go for the Mavic Exalith rims if you want exceptional braking on those descents
  • Smirf
    i can see the benefit of the exalith rims in the mountains!
    Parlee Altum - "summer"
    Felt VR5 - "winter"
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have Fulcrum Zeros and R-Sys Premiums. They are on different bikes with different tyres (Conti attack/ force on the zeros; Open Pave on the R-Sys), so direct comparison is difficult for me to make.
    My view is that the R-Sys are a more comfortable wheel (tyres and frame may be fooling me!).
    The Zero's never fail to impress me. Very stiff, very responsive and they seem to roll for ever. They are not a good source of comfort if that figures high on your list of priorities!
    I suspect if I were in your position, I would use the Elites until they have been worn out; then consider the wheels you mention for replacement. As others have mentioned, I doubt you'll be able to record significant gains in time over a set circuit.
    If however, you simply want to get a new set of wheels for a bit of a change, my vote would go to the Zeros.

Peter
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    if I were in the market for some lightweight clinchers for climbing then the DA C24 or the exalith Mavics (non R-SYS) would be my choices. The Mavics are nicer looking, better braking and lighter but also a lot more cash, so it depends on how much I had in the kitty really.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • wiganwarriors
    wiganwarriors Posts: 132
    Hi there guys and girls. Been looking for an upgrade on Fulcrum 5's. I was toying with the idea of staying with fulcrum and opting for the zero's after reading rave reviews. I finally opted for campag neutron ultra's pick them up friday from Ribble. Don't think there as expensive as the zero's but awesome feedback. good luck whatever hoops you decide upon.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    How do the HED Ardennes compare?
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Due to lack of suppliers not many people have got HED Ardennes. However they are anecdotally very good indeed.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • majormantra
    Good, but pricey for the weight. A Velocity A23 build is worth a look if you're after a wider rim. You can spec something similar to the HEDs for a lot less money. Quite tempting...
  • Smirf
    i did think about the Ardennes. Not sure why i discounted them (there was a reason I think!)

I had a quick read about the velocity, quite interesting. Will speak to someone tomorrow about them and a build etc, see how they come out. Anyone have these built up?
    Parlee Altum - "summer"
    Felt VR5 - "winter"
  • Smirf
    hmm... just perusing the interweb as you do, Kysrium SLRs.... choices choices!
    Parlee Altum - "summer"
    Felt VR5 - "winter"
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    campag eurus ?
  • Smirf
    Are Chris king hubs worth the considerable expense as an upgrade on A23s? With ceramics, they would go from 500 to a grand - so in budget just. But a case of too much upgrade for the value of the rim?
    Parlee Altum - "summer"
    Felt VR5 - "winter"
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    I have Ardennes, but didn't pay full price as picked them up second hand. They certainly roll very smoothly, and confidence in downhill cornering has increased significantly.

The only difference CK hubs will give you is longevity. In fact, the hubs will probably outlast your cycling career :lol:
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Assuming you are shimano? + 1 on the DA 24 Cls, i have both the Zeros and the c24s, for the mountains i d have the DAs every time, hang on i swopped them for Carbon tubs!

The Zeros arnt that light - the rim - and are very very stiff, perhaps more of a race/crit wheel than a mountain best set.

Mavics for you then???
  • Smirf
    what's a man to do?!

the Ksyriums are definitely still up there, and maybe try and demo the C24s?

think my elites have negated the zero's - whilst aware they are better wheels, pretty sure 800 quid can be spent better.

same could be said tho for any wheel!!
    Parlee Altum - "summer"
    Felt VR5 - "winter"