Trying to locate a place.

capt_slog
capt_slog Posts: 3,939
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
I'm trying to find the name of a place I visited once.

The unusual feature of this village or town was that it had a large pond or small lake, that was only accessible from the gardens of the houses that surrounded it (possibly 50 - 100 houses?) apart from just one or two plots that hadn't been built on.

Perhaps it's near you or you know of it?

It could be anywhere in the England/Wales, but I think it's more likely to be within150 miles of Derby.

The older I get, the better I was.

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    did it have a basement? :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • capt_slog
    did it have a basement? :D

No. I'd not need any help trying to find that, it would be written on the season ticket.

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Capt Slog wrote:

The unusual feature of this village or town was that it had a large pond or small lake, that was only accessible from the gardens of the houses that surrounded it (possibly 50 - 100 houses?) apart from just one or two plots that hadn't been built on.

It could be anywhere in the England, but I think it's more likely to be within150 miles of Derby.

Venice?
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Buxton
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    G-spot?
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Capt Slog wrote:

It could be anywhere in the England/Wales, but I think it's more likely to be within150 miles of Derby.

Tewkesbury..........

tewkesbury460.jpg
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • capt_slog
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:

Tewkesbury..........

tewkesbury460.jpg

Ah yes, there's a town that's going through the motions.

If you type "Elmfield Terrace, York" into Google maps and look at the satellite picture, you'll get some idea of what I'm looking for. But the place I saw before had more houses and longer gardens.

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    There ain't no pond or lake on my Google Maps "Elmfield Terrace, York".

*confusedsmiley*
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • capt_slog
    Ben6899 wrote:

*confusedsmiley*

That's odd. Odd that it won't find it I mean.

Try "stray garth, York" instead.

• Yossie
    Ah, in that case try Nantwich.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

*confusedsmiley*

That's odd. Odd that it won't find it I mean.

Try "stray garth, York" instead.

Found it now. I zoomed to York and then typed in just "Elmfield Terrace". No idea where else looks like this, sorry.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Capt Slog wrote:
    The unusual feature of this village or town was that it had a large pond or small lake
    If you type "Elmfield Terrace, York" into Google maps and look at the satellite picture, you'll get some idea of what I'm looking for. But the place I saw before had more houses and longer gardens.

More houses than York would suggest it wasn't a village.......
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Yossie
    Nuneaton maybe on that description then
  • capt_slog
    t4tomo wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:
    The unusual feature of this village or town was that it had a large pond or small lake

Not more houses than York. More houses around the lake, the lake was a bit bigger.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Discount any places on the s**tiest town list, that should then leave you with a nice shortlist!

Are you sure it was in the UK? Sounds like the gated estate I stayed in when I went to Orlando to me.
  • t4tomo
    Capt Slog wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:

Not more houses than York. More houses around the lake, the lake was a bit bigger.

I like that, your assuming the best in me - that I had misread your post, when in reality I knew what you meant but was just being facetious. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • capt_slog
    t4tomo wrote:

I like that, your assuming the best in me - that I had misread your post, when in reality I knew what you meant but was just being facetious. :D

Yup, that's me. Gullible, trusting and taking everyone as ok until they turn out to be an arsehole. :lol:

• capt_slog
    Found it!

Alsager in Cheshire. In the middle of the town is The Mere, and the houses around have it at the end of their gardens.

I know most of you won't give a toss but it always struck me as a nice place to live.

• pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Have you read the Shittest Town in Britain thread - Alsager doesn't get a very complimentary write up!! However the first picture on google images does make this look pretty ok.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    It certainly does take away the credibility of all those people who nominated Alsager. Seems my advice above to discount anything on that thread was completely wrong :shock:
  • t4tomo
    I travel on London Midland in and out of london and the through trains to Crewe I'm sometime on stops there.

I've always thought Alsager sounds quite nice as its read out over the tannoy, as in its a nice word quite rural sounding, ditto Rugeley Trent Valley. In reality they could be sh*tghles but they sound nice.

(genuine comment this time Capt - you have to expect some banter in the cake stop :D )
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • Yossie
    Sorry to disillusion you all, but its a freakin' dump.

I suppose its quite a nice place to live if you've just come from Helmand though. Then again, probably not - the locals are actually friendlier in Helmand. Food is better as well.
  • capt_slog
    http://www.knowhere.co.uk/Alsager/Chesh ... orstthings

It does sound like a shithole I must admit.

Although I said I'd visited it, I realise now that this wasn't so. I'd found the lake and houses on a photo-search a while back whilst looking for something else, and thought (and still do) that it would be nice to live in a house like that