Hello, my recent purchase..

Latenight
Latenight Posts: 47
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi people, 1st post. Was on another forum but doesn't seem as active as here so here is a post which I guess need a bit of advice...

71557eb7.jpg

Was after this bike for few weeks as loved the look and it was a expensiveish bike that had been heavily discounted in clearance. Only 1 more left to buy in the country from a halfords store in Inverness. I didn't have a massive budget but wanted something good looking and a reasonable spec.

It's gt XCR

Anyway it has missing front wheel, pedals and headset. But still a brand new bike

all bought for £185...

I can't wait to get it complete. :)

Comments

• Latenight
    few things i have bought...

FSA dh pro headset - £17

Avid g2 rotor - £15

A pair of alexrims wheel sets I only needed one so I think ill sell the one thats on the bike as it has black spokes compared to the all white ones. £80.

also they have quando hubs, do I keep these or do I buy a new set?

here are the rims...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160649015742?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2819wt_1108

what do you guys think?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well the most important is to get the axle for your fork.

they are fork specific and will determine what front hub you need-

is it 20 or 15mm?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    First up why the dh headset?

You also need a 20mm hub or at least one that is convertible, those wheels look like they are qr.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Cracking deal btw.
  • Latenight
    Thanks. Just to let you know I'm new to bikes so learning.

The axle is 15mm I believe. I'm not with the bike but they are bomber forks, I'll look online or do they come in different sizes.

The dh headset I got because I read many people used it for mtb as well, do you think it will be a big difference? I just thought it was a good price from the rrp. If its not suitable I'll change it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'd get an OrbitXLII much lighter and looks good.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why swap out what I presume is a perfectly good headset?

Bargain buy though!

You need to find the right axle for those forks and get a wheel to suite!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    He did say it didn't have a headset, but can't see from the pic.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    From that photo I'd be amazed if it didn't have a headset!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Latenight
    missing all the spacers, only top part holding it from the bolt.
  • Latenight
    looks like the hubs that come with those alexrims will be 20mm.

I will need new hubs. would i have to buy a matching hub to the back? or could the front one be different?

thanks
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Can be anything it likes if it fits.
  • cooldad
    Latenight wrote:
    missing all the spacers, only top part holding it from the bolt.
    Spacers are cheap - headset is the cups,bearings and topcap/bolt.
    Latenight wrote:
    looks like the hubs that come with those alexrims will be 20mm.

I will need new hubs. would i have to buy a matching hub to the back? or could the front one be different?

thanks

Front hub needs to match the axle size that fits the forks, so you need to make sure.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Latenight
    Thanks for all the advice, I'll make sure before I buy anything but I think it's 15mm

But could someone tell me will there be a difference between the dh headset to a normal one. If so how?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Does the bike have a headset fitted already?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Latenight wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice, I'll make sure before I buy anything but I think it's 15mm

But could someone tell me will there be a difference between the dh headset to a normal one. If so how?
    It will be heavy to make it stronger, but stronger than you'll need it to be, so it may just be dead weight. Either way it isn't a huge deal.

Nice bike by the way.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    headsets come in hundreds of different designs , sizes and types. Look on the GT web site for what was originally fitted and purchase the same one , you should get one for about £25.
    Are the forks just in the frame with no bearings and the handlebars holding them ?
  • Latenight
    omegas wrote:
    headsets come in hundreds of different designs , sizes and types. Look on the GT web site for what was originally fitted and purchase the same one , you should get one for about £25.
    Are the forks just in the frame with no bearings and the handlebars holding them ?

Like i say I'm not with the bike, working away from home but from what I remember it's Just the top cap and bolt holding the fork so the frame is all loose. Nothing holding the frame from moving up and down the fork,
  • Russell160
    Russell160 Posts: 67
    Nice bike, and welcome to the forum. You need to be aware that what you've got there is a fork that will take Maxle hubs: this is different from the standard 'quick release' hub. That means you need to get a particular type of wheel that has a maxle hub. Tbh i don't know much about them,but I'
  • Russell160
    Don't know what happened there: pressed the wrong key.

Like I was saying, Try googling maxle or plenty of the other lads on here will know about them
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    It's definitely 15mm. I had exactly the same bike less than a year ago. Decent enough bike overall, fairly robust 140mm forked hardtail. Don't be surprised if the forks pack up though! The lockout (and seemingly the damping) packed up on mine. Windwave (the Marzocchi importer) turned them around quickly though.

Good luck with completing the build. I'd give Windwave a ring for the axle, they'd be your best bet - they are 44TST2 Marzocchi Bombers.
  • Latenight
    Russell160 wrote:
    Nice bike, and welcome to the forum. You need to be aware that what you've got there is a fork that will take Maxle hubs: this is different from the standard 'quick release' hub. That means you need to get a particular type of wheel that has a maxle hub. Tbh i don't know much about them,but I'

Ha you've well confused me now.

I've bought the same wheel that's currently on the back as I stated above which is a alexrim dp20.

Can't I then choose to buy say a nukeproof or evo 15mm front hub?

Thanks
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    You can buy any front wheel as long as it has a 15mm hub. You will need the correct Marzocchi axle though as they are different to say a Fox 15mm axle.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Latenight wrote:
    Russell160 wrote:

I've bought the same wheel that's currently on the back as I stated above which is a alexrim dp20.

Thanks
    No such thing as a maxle hub. A 15mm hub is a 15mm hub and will fit any 15mm fork.

Maxle is a RockShox name for their thru axle system and again works with any hub of the correct size.

What the OP has is Marzocchis 15mm thru axle. Which again will fit any 15mm hub.
  • Latenight
    Latenight wrote:
    Russell160 wrote:

Thanks
    No such thing as a maxle hub. A 15mm hub is a 15mm hub and will fit any 15mm fork.

Maxle is a RockShox name for their thru axle system and again works with any hub of the correct size.

What the OP has is Marzocchis 15mm thru axle. Which again will fit any 15mm hub.

yea that makes sense to me!

ps anyone wanna buy a fsa pig dh pro headset? think im gonna go for the mx or xl2
  • Russell160
    I stand corrected: apologies for getting it wrong, glad Bennett cleared it up for you. :oops:
  • Latenight
    I have just bought

hope pro evo 2 15mm front hub

dmr v8 pedals

:)
  • The Rookie
    You just need a pack of headset spacers, doesn't look like you need a headset at all, let alone an over heavy one for the bike, take it back for a refund and get the spacers, halfords do a carbon set for about £8.

Measure the axle in the forks, it will be 15 or 20mm, then get wheels that suite.

CHECK before you buy anything else or you're going to blow what you saved with a pile of un-needed/unfittable bits.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    CHECK before you buy anything else or you're going to blow what you saved with a pile of un-needed/unfittable bits.

This.

What are you going to do with the hub? You can't just swap it for one that's already built into a wheel. You need to 'unbuild' the wheel, get spokes the correct length and then build the wheel around the new hub and spokes. Even if the spokes are right, building the wheel isn't particularly quick or easy.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Latenight
    Thanks for advice, understand, rushing into this before thinking.

Sent back headset today.

In process of getting refund for the wheels as the havnt been sent out realised after buying a front hub may as well build two new wheels.

So I'm back to square one + a front hub.

Want some white rims. Anyne can recommend any?

Thanks again