Bike Trailer

gabriel959
gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
Hi all,

My daughter (only 3 year old) has now outgrown her child seat so we need a trailer. I haven't got a lot of money so I had a look at the AT3 Adventure Trailer as it looks like a good deal... £160 for an alloy 2 seater which folds easily and quite compact.

My question is to those who might have used this trailer as it seems a bit too good to be true... what are the problems with it, if any?

Cheers,
Gabriel
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra

Comments

• baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    It's a little hard to tell by the pictures I can see online...

Take a look at how it attaches to the bike. I'm not a fan of the ones that just clamp on to the chain stay. I prefer the ones that have a hitch that is attached through the axle/QR, and then also have a safety strap, just in case.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • gabriel959
    Thanks for the info - I had a look and apparently it has a hitch that goes through the QR like you mention, it also seems to have the safety strap.

Anything else to look for?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • kev_gray
    kev_gray Posts: 44
    Hi, Just bought one of these myself this week and took the little one to nursery on it today. Here is a quick summary:

Pro's:
    Very light
    Easy to pull
    Good solid connection through the QR skewer and a strap onto the frame
    Plenty space for kid and bag at rear

Cons:
    Its wide, had to move the car right up againt a fence to get it past last night
    You might struggle through barriers/gates on cycle paths

I would say though it is a great bit of kit, folding up is a must to get it through doors in the house though! If you have any questions let me know!
  • gabriel959
    Thank you - I will check how wide it is and check the gates around where I live... that is very useful as I hadn't thought of that :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • baudman
    Width also should mean it's more stable, especially when cornering. (Not that you should aim for breaking any land-speed records anyway). ;)

So yeah... width can be good too.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • scrumpydave
    scrumpydave Posts: 143
    A quick release from the rear axle is also very useful, especially if you want to switch between bikes.

About the width thing - no trailer will get through some of the barriers to cycle paths. One of my major rant topics.
    Riding the Etape du Tour for Beating Bowel Cancer - click to donate http://bit.ly/P9eBbM
  • baudman
    Better, is when they come with two hitch mounts. ;)
  • hedg70
    hedg70 Posts: 4
    I too have one i find it is light, very stable, easy to setup / take down with the quick release, i travel with my 4yr old and her dolly and a small dog in it she loves it and tells me its not too bumpy on there, the only down fall is you only get 1 bracket to attach to the bike so you its good to get another for other bikes, its also very wide i keep moving to the side of the path and hitting bushes with it as its so wide, and last thing is silly... its yellow and the mud shows up on it very well, so it can look a bit tatty, but easy enough to clean.

It took me months to decide what one to get, due to cost, build quality, and safety, so if you want any pics let me know, or need to know anything same again let me know.

Thanks

Carl