Chain Wear - How lOng do they last!?

paulmgreen
paulmgreen Posts: 158
edited May 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I don't have a chain wear tool ....... So in the absence of one - what are the signs of a chain being worn???

How long should a chain last ? This one has done approx 1500 miles. Regularly cleaned and lubricated. Mixture of road / off road use

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    How long is a piece of string.

Conditions have a big effect. Get a inch rule and measure 12 full links. It's 12 inch.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    it depends.. some people change them regular to spread wear out.. personally i run them till i'm ready for a change..

roadbike chain been on around 5 years must of done well over 3500 miles. still works fine.
    hardtail chain was 3 year old still worked fine when i changed the drivetrain only reason i changed it was becaise i got an xtr set up for xmass off my mum and dad.
    fs dh bike 3 year old still worked fine
    fs bike just over 12 months but it was a new build last year.. the old full susser drivetrain was almost 3 year old...

i leave the chain cassette and chainrings till i ready to change.. i tend to change bikes every 3 year anyway.. unless i break sometinh then it will get replaced...
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Depends on what conditions you ride in. 10 rainy miles in gritty mud can do as much damage as 100 miles in the dry. On the full suss I am doing well if I get 6 months out of a chain and cassette. On the single speed hardtail the chain and cogs look brand new after 2 years because it does mostly road, towpath and cyclepath mileage. Same with brake pads 2 or 3 months at best out of sintered on the full suss, same pads on the HT 2 years old and barely worn.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cloudynights
    cloudynights Posts: 351
    3 months if im lucky, if you run a chain beyond 75% wear or 1/16 inch a new chain will probably slip on your cassette
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    At least a year in any conditions
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cloudynights
    cooldad wrote:

mileage doesn't lie
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It can do. Stomp only up hill for the same mileage as on the flat and it will. So many factors to it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:

mileage doesn't lie
    I have absolutely no idea how far I ride. And no interest in working it out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    cooldad wrote:
    ... while I have a GPS thing in my pack which tells me where I've been - even if I have no idea where I am. Then Strava adds it all up for me. So 1,500 miles on my first chain.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • cloudynights
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    ... while I have a GPS thing in my pack which tells me where I've been - even if I have no idea where I am. Then Strava adds it all up for me. So 1,500 miles on my first chain.
    Just out of intrest, what makes you change it after 1500 miles
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Just out of intrest, what makes you change it after 1500 miles
    My gears started slipping, and I could no longer adjust them to correct it... so I assumed I needed a new chain. The new chain sorted it. I'll probably now invest in a chain checker as a worn cassette would be a lot more expensive... so far I'm still on the original.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    http://www.parker-international.co.uk/1 ... n=pid18632

Park tools Chain checker - for less than £8 you will know whats what and when it needs changing, the tool won't wear out but if your chain does and subsequently eats your cassette and Chain ring it will cost you a lot more than the £8 to buy one of these. Prevention is better than cure.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I do wonder if Park Tools have a deal with the chain/cassette manufacturers though as they've tweaked the tool and it now indicates you should replace the chain at .5% and chain+cassette at .75%, whereas it was .75% and 1%. Hmm.

I will say though, 1% was correct for both chain & cassette. I replaced just chain, and it slipped badly (wasn't actually slipping before changing the chain, just slack). An 'expert' said cassette, I had doubts, but changed the cassette and bingo, all fine.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Entirely depends on conditions. I've had a driterain last about 3 years, and I've had a drivetrain last about 3 months.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My commuter gets ridden quite hard, gets salty, but little grit, the first chain which was second hand when I fitted it, lasted just over 2000miles, it was still under 0.75% but the salt had taken it's toll on the side plates and they looked aweful and so I changed it (for another second hand one!).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.