My 3 year old has cancer, and what I'm going to do about it

Comments

• brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Just a small donation from me - sorry its not much, the Marathon sponsorships recently have taken spare money.

I can't imagine how you feel - one of my best mates sent me a text this morning saying his 9 month old son has been advised to have a heart transplant (he's been in GOSH ICU for 9 weeks now), and its knocked me for 6. He has Cardio Myopathy - its even more devastating, as his wife has already lost her brother to it. My thoughts are massively with you
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • Big Jim1
    Big Jim1 Posts: 182
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Just a small donation from me - sorry its not much, the Marathon sponsorships recently have taken spare money.

I can't imagine how you feel - one of my best mates sent me a text this morning saying his 9 month old son has been advised to have a heart transplant (he's been in GOSH ICU for 9 weeks now), and its knocked me for 6. He has Cardio Myopathy - its even more devastating, as his wife has already lost her brother to it. My thoughts are massively with you
    9 weeks in ICU!!! That is horrendous. We've had 3 visits to PICU, St Marys, St Thomas's (Evelina) and ST GEorges all in London. THey are very intense places and the parents all look very worried. I can imagine 9 weeks is a real strain. Though William has been very ill otherwise and we've been in hospital, PICU is really a really grim place. My thoughts are very much with them, and please pass on my best wishes.

Thanks for the donation. Believe me, anything really pleases me and really helps. So honestly, I am very thankfull and also for your message. :)
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    Small donation going your way.. Good luck.
  • Big Jim1
    Small donation going your way.. Good luck.
    Thanks CambsNewbie. It's very much appreciated. :)
  • Hats off to all who are putting their hands in their pockets for William. If you want to do more (and it won't cost a penny) have a think about donating blood, platelets or bone marrow. Who knows some of might find its way to William and help him directly!

viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12849967
  • Good luck with this James, I am usually just a forum lurker, but I have found Bike Radar to be a great community, I have made a small donation and posted the Just Giving link on all the social networks I on (too many it seems!). You have also reminded me to give blood again (been a while since I have) and have signed up to donate platelets (hopefully if suitable).
    "Enjoy yourself. These are the good old days you're going to miss in the years ahead."
  • Big Jim1
    Good luck with this James, I am usually just a forum lurker, but I have found Bike Radar to be a great community, I have made a small donation and posted the Just Giving link on all the social networks I on (too many it seems!). You have also reminded me to give blood again (been a while since I have) and have signed up to donate platelets (hopefully if suitable).

Thanks mgmidget1500. I have to say that generally when you want an all around opinion on something that you wish to buy, forums are brilliant. I remember choosing my panniers and once I'd looked on a load of different forums and had read so many thoughts of the people using them, that I could make my own mind up. It's amazing how powerful the internet is. Also the ability to chat to people who we'd never usually ever have a chance to.

I am delighted that you have decided to give blood again, for every person who gives another unit of blood from something I have written about, it's another weight off my shoulder in paying back the ridiculas amounts that William has used. As my friends have said, don't worry we'll help you get through your debt. :)

William has used a ridiculas amount of platelets as they don't last very long.

Thanks also for the donation. That's brilliant and the support for this is truely humbling.

thanks again :)
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Bump. My last post put this to the bottom, so I m just doing the descent thing.
  • Big Jim1
    tim wand wrote:
    Bump. My last post put this to the bottom, so I m just doing the descent thing.

Thanks Tim wand. Love the avatar btw. Would be good with a muttley laugh also. :)
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    edited April 2012
    Just made a Donation Jim, our prayers and good wishes are with you and your family
  • Big Jim1
    Velonutter wrote:
    Just made a Donation Jim, our prayers and good wishes are wish you and your family
    Thanks Velonutter. very much appreciated. :)

Am edging closer to 3K all the time :)
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    Big Jim,

Keep strong.

Ride like the wind.

Donation made :D

MM
  • Big Jim1
    Thanks MingMong. We've actually been thinking about the wind quite a lot because Denmark gets it quite badly, so we're not sure whether to go clockwise or anti-clockwise. By all accounts the wind direction changes in september also, which doesn't help. Hopefully luck will be with us.

Thanks again for the donation :)
  • brettjmcc
    Big Jim1 wrote:
    My thoughts are very much with them, and please pass on my best wishes.

Thanks Jim, I will pass it on. It is going to be a nerve racking weekend. Joshua (JPS) got the OK to put on the donor list and was looking good yesterday.

Unfortunately, he's gone back down hill today and my mate has just had to leave work as JPS is being rushed into have a 5 hour op to have a Berlin Pump fitted :cry: We all have our fingers crossed at the moment
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • Big Jim1
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Big Jim1 wrote:

Thanks Jim, I will pass it on. It is going to be a nerve racking weekend. Joshua (JPS) got the OK to put on the donor list and was looking good yesterday.

Unfortunately, he's gone back down hill today and my mate has just had to leave work as JPS is being rushed into have a 5 hour op to have a Berlin Pump fitted :cry: We all have our fingers crossed at the moment

oh no. I have to say I don't know how he works with all that going on. I started a new job 3 days a week last May (as william's treatment was starting to tail off), then once this all kicked off was allowed to work from home. Haven't been in the office since before Xmas. But work have been very supportive passing me work.

My thoughts are with Joshua and his parents. I hope all goes well for the poor little chap.

It just sounds so unfair that things like this happen. :(
  • Big Jim1
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Big Jim1 wrote:

Any news on how the op went Brettjmcc?
  • brettjmcc
    Hi Jim, thanks for asking. Spoke to Matt Friday night and it seems to have gone OK. Have to wait for a few days to see how he copes with it. On the bright side, the consultants were apparently more worried about doing this procedure than the transplant.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • Big Jim1
    That's good. Not sure there's many better places in the world to be which is a bonus.

Hope it does the trick. :)
  • brettjmcc
    Bump - as it now half way down page 2.

Come on everyone, Big Jim has got to 295% of his initial target
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • plife
    plife Posts: 97
    Best of luck with the ride, and thoughts are with you and yuor family. Just donated.
    Boardman FS Pro 2010
    Felt F5 2011
  • Big Jim1
    plife wrote:
    Best of luck with the ride, and thoughts are with you and yuor family. Just donated.

Thanks plife and thanks for the donation :)

Am slowely getting closer to 3K which is good.
  • Big Jim1
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Bump - as it now half way down page 2.

Come on everyone, Big Jim has got to 295% of his initial target

Thanks Brettjmcc. How's Joshua?
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Don't know how you cope with this. I am in bits just reading it. Really hoping things work out for Joshua he is a beautiful little boy. Small donation on its way - good luck
  • Big Jim1
    Calpol wrote:
    Don't know how you cope with this. I am in bits just reading it. Really hoping things work out for Joshua he is a beautiful little boy. Small donation on its way - good luck

Thanks Calpol. It is pretty grim, we just have to hold on to the hope that the BMT will do the trick this time.
    Thanks for the donation. :)
  • brettjmcc
    Hey Jim,
    Thanks for asking. Passed on your thoughts and Matt was grateful.

Got this through this morning - Hope William is OK.
    Good day today, some of the support has been removed and more steady progress. Kidney dialysis and NOx (assists the ventilator) machines have been removed and not on his regular beta blocker for the first time since Dec! Still peeing well, bit too good actually! He's still on a pacemaker for the right hand side - not sure if that'll be a long term thing; they may reduce/remove that too however they obviously won't reduce things too quickly. Sedation gradually being reduced too.

Slowly slowly

Fingers crossed x
    I'm trying to get Matt to send me the pic he showed me yesterday - I have also cancelled my London-Paris ride and going to do something else to try and support CMA or the Sick Children's Trust (who are basically housing them round the corner from GOSH)... I'll then start another thread
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • Big Jim1
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Hey Jim,
    Thanks for asking. Passed on your thoughts and Matt was grateful.

Got this through this morning - Hope William is OK.
    Good day today, some of the support has been removed and more steady progress. Kidney dialysis and NOx (assists the ventilator) machines have been removed and not on his regular beta blocker for the first time since Dec! Still peeing well, bit too good actually! He's still on a pacemaker for the right hand side - not sure if that'll be a long term thing; they may reduce/remove that too however they obviously won't reduce things too quickly. Sedation gradually being reduced too.

Slowly slowly

Fingers crossed x
    I'm trying to get Matt to send me the pic he showed me yesterday - I have also cancelled my London-Paris ride and going to do something else to try and support CMA or the Sick Children's Trust (who are basically housing them round the corner from GOSH)... I'll then start another thread

That sounds good. GOSH are an amazing hospital We nearly went there ourselves for William's treatment, but I think people from our area usually route into the MArsden. Certainly GOSH is one of the only hospital PICU's in London we haven't been to.

We were put up by Ronald McDonald house for 2 of the PICU's and a cheap hotel for another of the PICU's, all were funded by charity. I think the problem is, there are so many charities its difficult to know which one to support.
    We firstly supported the Royal Marsden as we have been there for many many months, and so wanted to help support a Cancer specific charity. I think now, I want to prevent Leukaemia from putting children and adults into hospital in the first place (and needing the treatment) so just condered research to be the way forward. But we also owe great debt to The Anthony Nolan Trust, and Leucan (a local charity). I already support Cancer Research through my pay packet. I'm sure there are many more causes that have helped us, like the St Mary's (paddington) charity.

Fingers crossed for Josh. I know the strain these places put on the parents, have seen it a lot. So good on you supporting your friend. :)
  • Big Jim1
    Forgot to add brettjmcc that I will of course sponsor/ donate to you once you've set up a page, etc.

Just let me know. I'm on Twitter as Big Jim (@JamesLyne1) also so will retweet, etc.

Best of luck again to Josh.
  • joshr96
    joshr96 Posts: 153
    I wish the best for your brave lad.
    Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
    Crossbow Hybrid
    Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..
  • Big Jim1
    I wish the best for your brave lad.

Thanks Josh. Just hope he gets into the BMT ok and it does the trick. No long to wait now for us.
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    I'm 22, unemployed and with a student debt the length of my arm but causes don't get more worthy than this. It's not a lot - I wish I had more to give away - but I hope it helps. Best of luck on your ride and more importantly my very best wishes to the little man, I'm sure he has the fight in him to pull through!