Chainreaction rip off

2»

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    chuffa wrote:
    Just to clarify things for all you know it alls.
    When I placed the order it clearly said type in box discount code this I did then clicked complete.
    As soon as I did this the transaction was complete, I then realised that the discount had not been applied I then sent them an email which they have ignored (plus further emails)
    All to no avail.
    There was nothing wrong with the goods neither am I bothered about the 6 days it took for the gear to arrive.
    What bugs me is the that they have totally ignored my complant.
    Therefore I will continue to slag them off as much as I want it's their loss not mine plenty other places to shop

Cobblers there is the chance to review the order before completing. You can edit the order right up to the moment you hit the pay button. You can even edit the order after completion if you knew you had made a mistake and cancel it. Dont blame them for your error.

I have had a problem with CRC in the past when they twice sent me the wrong item. A quick phone call and it was sorted and I got a voucher to apologise for the mix up.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,398
    Free delivery to France

Really? Den Bastards! 6 or 7 Eus to the Netherlands, DPD or DHL respectively!

Agree with you though, Components (particularly tyres, particularly Conti tyres) are cheaper from Bike-Discount
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    ddraver wrote:
    Free delivery to France

Agree with you though, Components (particularly tyres, particularly Conti tyres) are cheaper from Bike-Discount

That's weird :? Both options (DPD & DHL) are free for me :D

Yep (some) tyres are a joke from CRC; Conti Rubber Queen Black Chilli is £45 on CRC. The same tyre is €35 (£30!) on Bike Discount. That is an amazing difference. Especially if you were going to buy two of them! :shock:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    chuffa wrote:
    Just received some new gear I ordered last week from this lot, goods ok but they have charged me full price and not applied the discounts which they advertised on line and they are ignoring my emails.
    Won't be using them again!
    £10 the lot
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Not had any problems with crc, although I bought some old model forks which were a tad low on oil, they wanted me to strip down the bike and send em back rather than send me 20ml oil to top them up. .... Bikediscount. Dead sells contis for 20%less than uk cost price!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,398
    edited March 2012
    ddraver wrote:
    Free delivery to France

That's weird :? Both options (DPD & DHL) are free for me :D

Yep (some) tyres are a joke from CRC; Conti Rubber Queen Black Chilli is £45 on CRC. The same tyre is €35 (£30!) on Bike Discount. That is an amazing difference. Especially if you were going to buy two of them! :shock:

Aha apparently we have to spend 250 eus or more.....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    chuffa wrote:
    When I placed the order it clearly said type in box discount code this I did then clicked complete.
    As soon as I did this the transaction was complete, I then realised that the discount had not been applied I then sent them an email which they have ignored (plus further emails)
    All to no avail.

Accidentally did that myself once, just before christmas. Forgot that you have to enter the code AND click on the box next to it that says "ADD" before clicking on the complete button. After emailing them they gave me another voucher code for my next order but couldn't alter the order i'd already completed.
  • JDRfive
    JDRfive Posts: 72
    Well, chuffa certainly got his comeuppance.
    Life's too short to be boring.

09 Kona Dawgma
    08 Orange 224
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Angry Bird wrote:
    I blames Wiggle. It's blatantly their cunning plan to ruin CRCs reputation by employing cunning and devious agents to cause mahem with CRC orders. If you see them around looking shifty I suggest you chase them while barking like a dog.

article-1093506-02C22227000005DC-310_634x645.jpg

See how evil they look.

All I see is... testicles.
  • projexon
    projexon Posts: 27
    chuffa wrote:

LOOKOUT+_af047a93844743ddf9488b6749676433.png
  • chuffa wrote:
    All to no avail.
    There was nothing wrong with the goods neither am I bothered about the 6 days it took for the gear to arrive.
    Therefore I will continue to slag them off as much as I want it's their loss not mine plenty other places to shop

No need to attack the members here just because they have a difference of opinion, and remember that people's opinions and viewpoints of anything in life are often due to their own experiences.

On that subject of experiences, I think there is nothing worse that people having an opinion of something based on what other people think, and these 'rip off' threads are basically about announcing to everyone that you will avoid something like the plague, and you probably hope other people will link arms with you and boycott the business. You are reacting to the fact that other people have good things to say about them, I don't agree with everyone here with a few things, but that don't mean I don't respect their opinion.

You didn't answer my question, I'm still curious to know how long they have ignored your complaint email for? I have experience of this type of thing myself, which is why I ask.

I agree with the member who said...'phone them?'
  • dhobiwallah
    dhobiwallah Posts: 272
    plugp7 wrote:
    Not too cuffed then chuffa. See what I did there?

Well I see what you were trying to do :mrgreen:
  • I have to agree with others this is your mistake for not checking and ringing them. I have been shopping with CRC for 5-6 years and havent really had any troubles.
    The only thing to watch is this new "put everything in a box!" system the've started using as it delays small items I had a roll of rim tape turn up the other day in a A4 size box!!.
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    stubs wrote:
    chuffa wrote:
    All to no avail.

Cobblers there is the chance to review the order before completing. You can edit the order right up to the moment you hit the pay button. You can even edit the order after completion if you knew you had made a mistake and cancel it. Dont blame them for your error.

I have had a problem with CRC in the past when they twice sent me the wrong item. A quick phone call and it was sorted and I got a voucher to apologise for the mix up.

Very much this ^^^

I actually find it a tad annoying paying by paypal and when you think your order is placed and done with, you get another screen telling you to confirm that everything is correct. They effectively put the blame on the customer in that you have so many bloody chances to notice that the price being charged is wrong, only a fool could fail to notice.

I've spoken to them on the phone before, very helpful. Maybe give that a go? Or if you find that a bit difficult, perhaps get mummy to do it for you?
  • p44cmb
    p44cmb Posts: 124
    Have only used Chain Reaction 4 or 5 times and all but one of the transactions have been spot on. The only transaction that went a little west was where they sent me an empty box instead of a box containing a chain stay protector. One polite email to them and I had the item shipped out a day or so later. That's not bad customer service in my book.
  • jehosophat
    jehosophat Posts: 108
    I use them a lot since I build my bikes from the frame up. The service is generally A1 - once when I forgot to enter a discount code, I e-mailed them immediately and they applied it later, and when I have had to return things it has always gone smoothly.

Except once. I bought a set of Nukeproof reactor lights from them and within a few months of once-weekly use they were no more bright than a Spark (having started out a lot brighter). It wasn't the battery. Then they started randomly switching off over bumps, or if you wiggled the cable. I contacted them about this well within the one year warranty, by phone and repeated e-mails, and was always fobbed off. The lights are about two years old now so I've given up.

More fool me, I keep buying from them, as it is so easy and I like their website :oops:
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    I have a small issue with CRC quoting same day dispatch and never achieing it (in my experience).

However.

When I rang them about it they sent me a discount voucher
    They have always been polite and pleasant when I have queried an order.
    Their free returns service is very easy to use and I took advantage when I had to try 4 pairs of five-tens before I got ones that fit

Bit more to the point for this post when I forgot to apply a £10 voucher code before finalising the order I called them and they credited my card for the £10 without quibbling.

All in all the positive points very much outweigh the negative and i'll be using them again.
  • chuffa
    chuffa Posts: 25
    Just to update this thread i started.
    Checked my bank statement yesterday and low and behold i have received a refund to cover the discount i never got,pity it took them so long,pity there was no :)
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    You can cancel the order within 7 days under the distance selling regulations, so you can just send them a cancellation notice referencing that act "the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000". Providing you comply with the DSRs you shouldn't be liable for postage. Alternatively you can use their slightly less favorable returns policy, which I think gives you 12 months, but you have to pay postage.

If you are within your time limit for DSRs, then you can ignore all their bluff about items being unopened in original packaging, blah blah, as it contrary to your rights.

Personally I have found them to be super efficient, if occasionally a little pricey.

For all those referring to "caveat emptor", if this was the road section, you'd be chastised and called an idiot by the resident anally retarded, not quite ex-lawer chap who thinks he is the only qualified legal practitioner on the forum, but since this is MTB general - I'll just snigger and say caveat emptor doesn't really apply in English consumer law.
  • Yacoby
    Yacoby Posts: 211
    diy wrote:
    Alternatively you can use their slightly less favorable returns policy, which I think gives you 12 months, but you have to pay postage.
    If you use Collect+ it is free
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    diy wrote:
    For all those referring to "caveat emptor", if this was the road section, you'd be chastised and called an idiot by the resident anally retarded, not quite ex-lawer chap who thinks he is the only qualified legal practitioner on the forum, but since this is MTB general - I'll just snigger and say caveat emptor doesn't really apply in English consumer law.
    I have enjoyed some of the handbags at dawn between the two of you
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    chuffa wrote:
    Just to update this thread i started.
    Checked my bank statement yesterday and low and behold i have received a refund to cover the discount i never got,pity it took them so long,pity there was no :)

Your just back pedalling now "no pun intended" but the reality of your original post was badly flawed as you wrongly assumed that others would jump on the bandwagon unfortunately you now realise that CRC are a real decent company and hopefully you will think in future before trying to discredit a business that doesn't deserve it.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    diy wrote:
    You can cancel the order within 7 days under the distance selling regulations, so you can just send them a cancellation notice referencing that act "the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000". Providing you comply with the DSRs you shouldn't be liable for postage.

The DSRs entitle you to a refund of original postage but not to avoid the postage costs of returns- though they do specify that the seller has to make clear what their returns policy is and if costs will be incurred (if they don't, then they can't ask you to pay)

(3.55 If you want the consumer to return the goods and to pay for that
    return, you must make it clear in the contract and as part of the
    required written information – see paragraph 3.10. If the consumer
    then fails to return the goods, or sends them at your expense, you
    can charge them the direct cost to you of the return, even if you
    have already refunded the consumer’s money. You are not allowed
    to make any further charges, such as a restocking charge or an
    administration charge.
    3.56 If you did not include these details in the required written information
    then you cannot charge anything. See paragraph 3.10. You can never
    require consumers to pay the cost of returning substitute goods –
    see paragraph 3.1 for more information.
    3.57 If the goods are faulty or do not comply with the contract, you will
    have to pay for their return whatever the circumstances.)

But yep- CRC now use Collect+ which is free, and simple. Very good service actually.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    edited May 2012
    North you are correct, though that isn't a quote from the DSR's its from the oft guide on them. The actual DSRs are more prescriptive. Very few, sellers properly comply and hence my position that they cannot impose return costs unless they comply. I think CRC are pretty close TBH, but they do merge their return policy with the right to cancel which means they dictate conditions which prohibited under the consumer right to cancel.

I must admit when I posted the reference to the DSRs, I didn't realise that CRC didn't charge for returns. They also seem to be willing to cover 1st class postage too.

The thing about the DSRs is making sure you follow Sec 10. and the seller 7 & 8. Any deviation is a problem.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Man, this thread is still going?
  • echowitch
    echowitch Posts: 196
    I have 42 transactions in the 12 months (+ a few weeks) and everything's always been straight forward and easy to follow. Everything's turned up within 4 days (which I still consider to be utterly outstanding bearing in mind the shoddy service Royal Mail is providing these days. Cheapest around, and very helpful over the phone, although sometimes busy.

Hell, they usually throw in free energy tabs or sachets, which help me out on my rides :)
  • chuffa
    chuffa Posts: 25
    Your just back pedalling now "no pun intended" but the reality of your original post was badly flawed as you wrongly assumed that others would jump on the bandwagon unfortunately you now realise that CRC are a real decent company and hopefully you will think in future before trying to discredit a business that doesn't deserve it.

NO back pedalling here just pointing out that i got a refund to cover the discount i should have got in the first place.
    Obviously some people on these forums have a vested interest in chain reaction?
    And would prefer nobody rocked the boat!
    Waheyyyyyyyyy
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Been there. You really have to remember to click on the big "ADD" button after typing in your discount code as simply clicking on the next step button on the bottom right doesn't automatically do it for you. So it's a little harsh to jump down their throats for a mistake that YOU made. Still got a discount off them (two in fact, as the original code worked on another order i put in), but wasn't expecting them to automatically give it to me because i whined to them in an email.....