Would I like a Orange P7

tofu21
tofu21 Posts: 359
edited May 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

I've currently got a pivot Mach 5.7 and hard tail stumpy.

I love the Pivot to bits. It just handles everything and is great fun to ride.

I find the stumpy a very harsh ride, it's a race hard tail so it should be I suppose. I have been thinking about getting another HT that is a bit more, with more travel (140/150). The main sort of riding I will use it for will be xc and trail riding.

I have seen a deal on a P7 and I'm tempted to replace the HT.

I know the P7 is as heavy as hell but from what I have heard they are ment to be great fun and bomb proof.

I'm not going to be able to demo the P7 as the shop is to far away.

What is the chance I will like the P7?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hard to say - it does give a compliant ride, but so does a cotic soul which is 1.5lbs lighter, cheaper, and made from better steel.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Check the Orange website for demo days. P7 is the best hardtail I have tried, heavy but a great ride.
  • lock1981
    lock1981 Posts: 546
    I have a friend selling one to fund his 29'er he loves it, it's geared up as a ss... Think it might be on eBay.. Was saying its an almost of not 4 grand bike think its going about 1800
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    They're ok, not an amazing amount of fun to ride but not bad. However, they're heavy and vastly over priced. There are better frames out there for the money (Cotic Soul for example). They sell well because Orange market them in a certain way and the suckers get sucked in!
  • tofu21
    Fingers crossed I like it. I've just ordered one in Cherry Black for £320.

With a bit of luck I'll get it this Friday.

Does anyone know what front mech they use? The Orange website doesn't list the 2012 model but if I wanted to guess I'd say it would be 28.6mm top swing the same as the 2011.
  • draconi6
    draconi6 Posts: 8
    Not listed in the Orange FAQ's.

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/support/faqs/

But it's been a 28.6 for a long time - I have a 2009 and that's a 28.6
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    lock1981 wrote:
    I have a friend selling one to fund his 29'er he loves it, it's geared up as a ss... Think it might be on eBay.. Was saying its an almost of not 4 grand bike think its going about 1800

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orange-P7-Sin ... 4d00b58e5e

No way is that worth £1800 :shock:
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • supersonic
    Be lucky to get a grand for that.
  • tofu21
    Does 25lb seem a bit optermistic? I'm expecting mine to come in at the wrong side of 29lb but that will be 3*9 for the time being.
  • supersonic
    The frames are 6lbs on their lonesome.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I cant really see the point in building a 6lb frame into a 25lb bike. Orange should have just designed them properly rather than chucking more metal at them to make them pass the CEN tests.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    I agree in principle and for the most part but a 6lb hardtail frame can work and those who like AM hardtails really do seem to like the P7 ride quality, I've noticed larger riders give it the biggest thumbs up.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Get an Inbred (456) instead. That said the P7 is popular with a lot of people I know, they all say it rides nicely.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • supersonic
    So is the Soul and 456 ;-).
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Or a Pipedream Scion?
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • tofu21
    I'll let you all know what I think to the P7. With a bit of luck I will get it built up on Monday. I think I've got all the bits that I need to build it up, only time will tell.
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    tofu21 wrote:
    I'll let you all know what I think to the P7. With a bit of luck I will get it built up on Monday. I think I've got all the bits that I need to build it up, only time will tell.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I'm really happy with mine. I got it for a decent price after test riding one - probably wouldn't have paid the normal asking price to be honest. It was so much better than my previous alu hardtails and just seemed to 'fit'. The geometry is spot on and it suits my riding style. It does weigh as much as a small car but to be honest I rarely notice - except when I'm lifting the b@stard over a fence. It rides like a much lighter bike and climbs surprisingly well. I'm a tad on the heavier side (195lb) so as mentioned above it maybe does suit heavier riders. I had wanted to try a Soul but never managed to get a test ride on one and, despite the praise, just couldn't bring myself to buy blind.

It does seem to attract it's fair share of negative comments (it deserves them for weight and rrp) so be prepared :wink:
  • supersonic
    In the end, if you like the geo, the comfort ie have tested it and have the cash, then why not?
  • tofu21
    I've more or less built it. Just need to index the gears and alight the brakes.

Its coming in at a bit over 28lb which I'm really happy with. Its not a mega light build either. Revelation RL forks, X2 brakes, DT wheels off my Stumpy HT, thompson stem, race face altlas bar, XT cranks etc....

Just need to ride it now!
  • tbikeradar
    tbikeradar Posts: 129
    Get a Whyte 19 Steel
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    oodboo wrote:
    lock1981 wrote:

LOL!

He's done my favourite trick of listing everything at RRP to "show you what a bargain you're getting".

No way he's paid more than £2k for that lot combined. Some people are properly deluded when it comes to the value of 2nd hand bicycles!
  • oodboo wrote:
    lock1981 wrote:

Why not? it's a 3 grand bike, that's the trouble with people these days they want everything for nothing!!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    oodboo wrote:
    lock1981 wrote:

Why not? it's a 3 grand bike, that's the trouble with people these days they want everything for nothing!!

Because you could with a bit of trying probably build it new for that.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    oodboo wrote:
    lock1981 wrote:

It's not about people wanting everything for nothing, it's about the value of secondhand bikes which is far less than a lot of people selling their pride and joy would like to think.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    oodboo wrote:
    lock1981 wrote:

It's NOT a 3 grand bike though is it? it never was a 3 grand bike. It's a bike made from parts which have a cumulative RRP of 3 grand. There is a MASSIVE difference between the RRP and what he actually paid.

If he paid RRP on every bit on there he's almost as big an idiot as whoever gives him £1,800 for it.

A more reasonable list of parts would be
    P7 frame - £320
    2012 Talas Kashima Forks - £750
    Hope hoops (mavic rims) - £320
    Hope Brakes - £260
    Chainset - £150
    Chain - £25
    Tyres - £50
    Grips - £15
    Bars - £40
    Seatpost - £30
    Saddle £30
    Headset - £50

That's assuming all parts were new. And those are just items I've found with a quick google. I'm sure if I was actually planning a build with those parts (although god knows why anyone would want to), I'd have been able to get those things for under £2k, brand new.

And another thing..... Brand new, 2012 GEARED P7 for the exact same price as this guys 2011, 2nd hand, single speed version.
  • supersonic
    He is better off splitting it, and even then will not get £1800 in total. What something is worth is what people will pay - this is a second hand bike, no warranty, and £1800 has no chance.
  • tofu21
    I went out for the first ride on the P7 last night. It was a bit muddy and horrible and the choice of a Racing Ralph on the rear may not have been the best choice but I didn't have the time or the energy to change them out.

But, all in all I bloody loved it! It was a really fun ride which was just what I was looking for. The P7 is so much more fun that my old Stumpy HT. The rear end if far more complient and takes so much more buzz that my old race frame. The shorted top tube has really improved the handeling the extra travel on the front has made a lot of difference too!

The weight according to my £1.99 ebay scales is 28.7lb which is pretty good considering the frame weight and the build. Its about the same as my Pivot which means it is good so I get used to lugging the weight around.

My initial thoughts are that I have got the setup about right on the first attempt but that wont stop me playing with things. I think the bars could be droped by a few mm.