Helmet, Pedals and Computer

sancho1983
sancho1983 Posts: 76
edited May 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi there,

I thought my new bike (Giant Defy 4) was going to take 4 weeks to arrive, however my lbs rang me up earlier and say it should be ready Thursday :D

I now need the above mentioned stuff to go with it. On my MTB I have these pedals

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimano-E-PDM52 ... 991&sr=8-1

and these shoes

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p30144/Shiman ... Shoes.aspx

I'm wanting to keep costs down after the initial outlay, so planning on keeping my shoes and using them on my road bike (I know that can be frowned upon) - With that in mind can anybody recommend some pedals, or should I buy the same ones as I have on my MTB - don't want a lovely light bike and then put really heavy pedals on.

I have a really poor helmet from Decathalon or somewhere and fancy a new one which actually fits me! I tried on a Met Crossover in an xl which fitted nicely, can anyone recommend a Road helmet, in a similar size for similar money (less than £40)

With the computer I'm in 2 minds, either to get a cheap and cheerful wired one, then buy a Garmin 500 in the future, or get a half decent wireless one now and not bother with the Garmin - Any opinions? My lbs recommended a Cat-eye Strada wireless, these seem quite well regarded if a little pricey for the features.

Any opinions on the above would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Put the money you would spend on a computer towards decent shoes and lid.

Computers only serve to demoralise you and distract you from the enjoyment of cycling. ;-(
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • sancho1983
    smidsy wrote:
    Put the money you would spend on a computer towards decent shoes and lid.

Computers only serve to demoralise you and distract you from the enjoyment of cycling. ;-(

Suppose I could keep my current pedals and put them on my new bike, put my 'normal' ones back on my mtb and put the money towards new shoes, they were bought for me ages ago and think I would prefer some different ones, any recommendations?

The computer makes me feel better when it tells me how far I've been! I used imapmyride for a bit, but killed the battery and didn't calculate perfectly. Some have recommended strava though
  • guado78
    guado78 Posts: 29
    For a Helmet have a look at the Giro Savant, currently available from MySpokes.co.uk for £37.47 including delivery (RRP £59.99). I bought one after reading the review on roadcc and was not disappointed.
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    Helmet; http://www.wiggle.co.uk/las-squalo-road ... ite/Carbon

Its a bit more expensive @ £60.00 looks great and more importantly its the only helmet I've owned that actually fits properly :-)
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    For a helmet I absolutely love Specialized S-Works Prevail 2011 Helmet - bit expensive though!

So shoes I went for the Sidi genius pro 5 - mid price point but very comfortable (but it is a personal thing with shoes).
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    For a helmet I absolutely love Specialized S-Works Prevail 2011 Helmet - bit expensive though!

I did a review here http://ukmambo.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/r ... evail.html
  • sagefly
    sagefly Posts: 295
    Bell Ukon £16.47 on Amazon from Rutland cycles, I "must" have one for Revo London and this seems to fit the bill.

Fast delivery too
    Turned out nice again!
  • sancho1983
    sagefly wrote:
    Bell Ukon £16.47 on Amazon from Rutland cycles, I "must" have one for Revo London and this seems to fit the bill.

Fast delivery too

My Bike is coming from Rutland Cycles (Well the Giant shop part of it) so I may pop in there anyway.

I suppose trying on shoes is the only real way to do it. I just know that I'll prefer the most expensive ones, and my bank account is already taking a battering.

I'll see if I can try on a Giro Savant as I keep seeing that come up when I look for helmets.

Might look for an older Garmin on fleabay, the 205s seem to go for £50 or so.