Suspension forks for Boardman Urban MTB

swelsbyuk
swelsbyuk Posts: 421
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

I bought a Boardman Urban MTB 10 days ago :

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

As stupid as this sounds, I love the bike - it's v.light, v.maneouverable - a joy to ride. EXCEPT, I miss that bit of 'give' that a suspension fork provides even when locked out.

So, I can return the bike (I assume) and swap for the Team with suspension fork (about £180 more) or could I just buy some forks and get them fitted.

Questions - is it likely to be easy to fit suspension forks to this? If so, would you think a bike shop would do it (for a fee) if I provided both bike and forks? And, lastly, which fork at around £200? I assume 100mm would be suitable?

Any help gratefully received.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What is the axle to crown height of the forks on there? As I recall the Urban hasn't much clearance over the tyre so you may struggle to get forks with a low enough A-C height.

For £200 you should be able to buy and fit forks leaving you the originals to sell on (must be worth something!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It's a pretty easy job to do yourself. ("Measure twice, or 10 times, cut once" applies).

But a bike shop will be happy to do it. I doubt Halfords will take the used bike back though.

Have you tried some squidgier grips, and a bigger volume, low pressure front tyre?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Would you sell the rigid forks? When you've measured your forks (axle to crown), let me know. The might be 420mm or 445mm or so I'd guess. I'd also want a rough idea of clearance, pics and any other info you can provide. I was looking for some rigid forks and these may be ideal. PM me if you do want to sell. Cheers.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    + 1 on the higher volume front tyre.

I used to use a rigid MTB for commuting and used to go for a quick lap of my local woods on the way home etc. had the same issues as you, really liked how light and snappy it was but wished I had a bit more give. A large volume tyre helped me. But my local trails are pretty smooth no rock gardens to be found.
  • swelsbyuk
    passout wrote:
    Would you sell the rigid forks? When you've measured your forks (axle to crown), let me know. The might be 420mm or 445mm or so I'd guess. I'd also want a rough idea of clearance, pics and any other info you can provide. I was looking for some rigid forks and these may be ideal. PM me if you do want to sell. Cheers.

Yes, I would be selling the rigid forks.

Anyone explain EXACTLY where I measure from and to in order to get the right measurements?

I assume that I must be able to this as, surely, the MTB Team is exactly the same as the Urban Team, except for the fork?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Measurement B:

fork-specs.gif

A sus fork 40mm or so greater will be fine.
  • swelsbyuk
    Cheers Supersonic - I'll give it a go.
  • passout
    swelsbyuk wrote:
    passout wrote:

Yes, I would be selling the rigid forks.

Anyone explain EXACTLY where I measure from and to in order to get the right measurements?

I assume that I must be able to this as, surely, the MTB Team is exactly the same as the Urban Team, except for the fork?

As I understand it, it's the same frame yes.

If your forks are suitable (length, clearance dpending) & I bought them, they would be replacing a pair of Rockshox Reba World Cup 100mm Disc (Pushloc) - carbon steerer, very light (about 1.5kg I think) in white. These would be put up for sale & they would be suitable for your bike. If we account for the part ex of the rigid forks, they would be in your budget. Where are you based? Might be best communicating by personal message (PM) by the way, if you are interested.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • passout
    One snag, CBs website says your rigid fork's steerer is tapered. Mine isn't & I don't really want to change my headset if i'm honest! Just makes it more hassle & expensive for everybody. Suddenly a great idea looks slightly less great!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I presume the non-Urban version will have higher volume tyres (that you'll no longer need :wink: )
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • swelsbyuk
    passout

I live in Dorset. 250 miles away from you. However, born and raised in Lancs so still have plenty of family up there who can pass things on if you remain interested.