brake cable click from housing

GordonFreeman
GordonFreeman Posts: 120
edited May 2012 in Workshop
When I pull the lever, there is a little click as the plastic bit fits back into the hole.
How can I sit this correctly on the brake lever?
I just tightened the brakes, so it's the actual cable housing that seems to be moving.

http://imageshack.us/f/406/img4173t.jpg/

Comments

• simonsays
    simonsays Posts: 25
    sounds like the cable is sticky/badly lubed, try spraying wd40 into the outer housing, you will need to pull out the inner cable first. Or perhaps it is time to replace the cables entirely?
  • simonsays wrote:
    sounds like the cable is sticky/badly lubed, try spraying wd40 into the outer housing, you will need to pull out the inner cable first. Or perhaps it is time to replace the cables entirely?

But when I seat the cable housing in the hole, it doesn't click at all.
    I'm not sure I understand why the cable affects this as the housing isn't in the right place. It's a fairly new cable.
    The actual click is caused by the housing plastic going back into the hole when the brake is applied. Shouldn;t the housing just sit in that hole constantly?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Sounds like you have too much slack in the inner cable. Loosen the pinch bolt at the caliper, pull the loose cable through and tighten. That should keep the outer cable located in the lever
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Did it ever fit in properly?

Have you changed anything?

Is the cable end Ok?

Is the housing in the lever OK?
    Yellow is the new Black.