SS crankset choice?

lock1981
lock1981 Posts: 546
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Building my full sus up for summer and am planning on keeping my xt 1x9 set up on my stiffee...

So want something affordable which can rival xt m770 ( I think). SS would be good as I'll be running 1x9 or 1x10

Seen race face SS evolve at a sub 100 quid comes with ring and bash too

Anyone used these?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Why not XT?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • lock1981
    Just a tad to expensive after sub 100 really... Keeping an eye on eBay though
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Shimano are in my experience the best and stiffest cranksets, just buy the one you can afford there is no difference apart from weight. Chain reaction have the SLX double and bash for £109 at the moment just a few grams heavier than XT and it is plenty stiff enough for stomping up any hill.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs
    Just spotted CRC have the Deore double and bash for £79.99

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35270

Thats a bargain
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • lock1981
    Cool I'll take a look.

Was after Ss so I didn't have to buy another chain ring and I ll only be using one up front
  • stubs
    Get one of these FSA rings they are a bargain.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28192
    With a Deore chainset you will come under your £100 buget and you can sell the spare rings on ebay. I have one on my SS hardtail, 2 years on and its barely worn.
  • lock1981
    Cheers mate I'll take a butchers
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Don't forget the Shimano double and bash crank/axle assembly is heavier than a triple, so if the bike is XC orientated and weight is important it's better to get the triple and use that as the basis, besides a full set of new/unused triple rings is very saleable (just sold a Deore set for £20, the whole HTII chainset had only cost just under £50).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lock1981
    Don't forget the Shimano double and bash crank/axle assembly is heavier than a triple, so if the bike is XC orientated and weight is important it's better to get the triple and use that as the basis, besides a full set of new/unused triple rings is very saleable (just sold a Deore set for £20, the whole HTII chainset had only cost just under £50).

I was not aware of that cheers :)

I'll look for triples then I think...
  • stubs
    The Deore double and bash has a steel pedal thread insert and a heavy duty bash ring this does make it heavier, about 100 grams heavier. The triple is about 1,000 the double about 1,100 a lot of this weight is in the bash guard, the bash guard that came with my SLX double weighed more than a steel 44 tooth chain ring. By the time you have stripped off anything uneeded you will have lost a fair bit whether you go triple or double. Not that you will notice the slightest difference. Go with the cheapest you can find Chain Reaction are doing both for not much.