What wheelset for about £200

The Silver Surfer
The Silver Surfer Posts: 76
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advice on buying a wheelset for around £200.

'On One XC' are down to £180 from £300 which seems like a bargain but then again a lot of their stuff is reduced so am not sure if its a bit of a ploy.

'Sram X9' or '506 Race' is another option but the few reviews I could find on them aren't the greatest.

'Superstar AM' seem reasonable and give loads of options to choose from when buying.

The list goes on - its a minefield for someone who doesn't know much about wheels, I ride hills, tracks and trail centres, so a bit of everything.

Any advice or pointers appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I have been looking at this price range too.I was looking at Hope Hoops Crest on Pro 2 evos,lovely wheels with a generally favourable reputation but over £300 by the time you add skewers.The Superstar Swich/Crest offerings are a very good price but I`ve seen some hit and miss stories on build quality and bearing durability.

So I went on ebay today and bought a pair of BNIB Roval Control AL which weigh 1575g for £160! RRP £400)

These appealed for their tubeless rims and DT swiss hub internals,aswell as the price.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Fulcrum red metal 5 can be had for less than £200.
    Padyak rider
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    I'd recommend Superstar wheels based on my experience, see my post below for why. Wider AM rims are stronger and give a better tyre profile so I'd pick the £160 AM wheel set or the £220 Stans Flow wheel set. No bearings last forever so don't be put off by stories of them failing, search "prorider superstar bearings" on eBay for cheap and good quality replacements.

Neal_ wrote:
    I had an off recently buckling my front wheel and sending the chain into the rear spokes on my Superstar wheelset (Switch Evo hubs and AM-490 rims) so took them up on their free truing service and damage repair scheme. I sent them back using Parcelfarce for £12.60, so they were insured and tracked, and just got them back a week later with 8 spokes replaced and both wheels trued at no charge! That's damn fine service in my eyes and a bit of a bargain considering it would cost about £15 per wheel for a LBS to true them, I'm sure replacing the spokes would be more again.

...no haribo though ;)
  • The you have the tube/tubeless decision to make with new wheels! Tubeless might cost more (and you may need new tyres too) but it might be worth considering.

Merlin are worth a look

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... ke-wheels/

Factory or custom builds, but you are more likely to get exactly what you want with a custom build...
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • Fulcrum red metal 5 can be had for less than £200.

Thanks, are they any good?
  • Neal_ wrote:
    I'd recommend Superstar wheels based on my experience, see my post below for why. Wider AM rims are stronger and give a better tyre profile so I'd pick the £160 AM wheel set or the £220 Stans Flow wheel set. No bearings last forever so don't be put off by stories of them failing, search "prorider superstar bearings" on eBay for cheap and good quality replacements.

Neal_ wrote:
    I had an off recently buckling my front wheel and sending the chain into the rear spokes on my Superstar wheelset (Switch Evo hubs and AM-490 rims) so took them up on their free truing service and damage repair scheme. I sent them back using Parcelfarce for £12.60, so they were insured and tracked, and just got them back a week later with 8 spokes replaced and both wheels trued at no charge! That's damn fine service in my eyes and a bit of a bargain considering it would cost about £15 per wheel for a LBS to true them, I'm sure replacing the spokes would be more again.

...no haribo though ;)

Cheers, sounds like a good service and I read a good bikeradar review of these wheels. I might get them..
  • The you have the tube/tubeless decision to make with new wheels! Tubeless might cost more (and you may need new tyres too) but it might be worth considering.

Merlin are worth a look

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... ke-wheels/

Factory or custom builds, but you are more likely to get exactly what you want with a custom build...

Thanks for the link. I hadn't even considered going tubeless but I suppose I should check it out before buying.
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    Sun Ringle Black flag wheelset's for less than £200 today with the promotion code, tempting for myself actually