Deep section clinchers

Grahammark
Grahammark Posts: 40
edited April 2012 in Road buying advice
Anyone Think there's a better deep section clincher than this for the money http://www.behindthebikeshed.co.uk/5708 ... elset.aspx £650 ?
Kuota kebel

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Maybe, but you should ask yourself if deep clinchers suit your riding... they rarely do
    They are not light and the aero advantage is only valid on long flat sections, otherwise you're just dragging around those blades, that put you off balance in cross winds.
    I appreciate the visual appeal, but there isn't much else for the normal rider (and that apply to pretty much all carbon clinchers with deep sections)
    left the forum March 2023
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Indeed, the problem of cross winds shouldn't be ignored. here in Cambridge can be quite noticeable and can cause accidents if you are not a powerful rider
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Good advice, for a diffrent question. My question still remains - is there a better deep section clincher than the fulcrum redwind h50 for £650...
    Kuota kebel
  • ugo.santalucia
    Similar to the Cosmic Carbone, same weight, so quite heavy... definitively cheaper than those. The rear hub from the photos look a bit of a cheapo, which shouldn't be the case for a RRP of 1K. On the contrary, Mavic hubs are typically very good (with exceptions).
    My advice is not to put money in expensive rims, as they are the disposable part of the wheel, menat to wear in a couple of years of intense use. I would rather get a set with expensive hubs, as these might last years and years and rims can be replaced.
    Other than that, a Cosmic Carbone clone, the latter have very good reviews. The saving over those is appealing
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I would probably prefer the Planet X 50mm Carbon Clinchers to the Fulcrums. They are £200 less and come in at a similar weight.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    Beatmaker wrote:
    I would probably prefer the Planet X 50mm Carbon Clinchers to the Fulcrums. They are £200 less and come in at a similar weight.

Why don't Planet X supply any of their wheels to fit Campagnolo? Frustrates the hell out of me, quite fancied a set of their sep 52mm carbon wheels but they only supply for the 'lesser' brands :wink: I'd rather buy in the UK than from a chinese seller via ebay.
  • carbon337
    carbon337 Posts: 414
    Du fuerte bici do campag fitment on theirs?
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    ajb72 wrote:
    Beatmaker wrote:

Why don't Planet X supply any of their wheels to fit Campagnolo? Frustrates the hell out of me, quite fancied a set of their sep 52mm carbon wheels but they only supply for the 'lesser' brands :wink: I'd rather buy in the UK than from a chinese seller via ebay.

I didn't realise thy didn't any longer, they certainly used to. Bugger, that means I'm striking them off my list of potential wheel purchases as well.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ajb72 wrote:
    Beatmaker wrote:

Planet X use Novatec rebranded hubs. It is possible to swap the freehub, just ask them to do it for you, I'm sure they will... they are very helpful and they are mechanics, not just retailers. Alternatively the same wheels can be built on a Campagnolo hub
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    ajb72 wrote:
    Beatmaker wrote:

Planet X use Novatec rebranded hubs. It is possible to swap the freehub, just ask them to do it for you, I'm sure they will... they are very helpful and they are mechanics, not just retailers. Alternatively the same wheels can be built on a Campagnolo hub

Cheers, good to know
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    www.wheelsmith.co.uk for Gigantex 50mm rims, Novatec Superlight hubs, cx ray spokes. full carbon for £677 according to Dereks website and mine weighed 1420g inc rim tape but not skewers. No worse than Ksyrium Elites in crosswinds yesterday as my mate and I swapped for part of our ride. And they are repairable should anything wear out or be broken.
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum