Commuting with a helmet camera?

benrayner100
benrayner100 Posts: 7
edited May 2012 in Commuting general
I've just started commuting to work as getting the train is becoming increasingly more expensive. Alot of riders i see of a morning and of an evening seem to be wearing helmet cameras to record their journeys to and from work. Ive also seen alot of videos on YouTube where cyclists are put in danger by other wreckless road users and and record their number plates etc.

Im thinking of doing the same as ive been commuting into London for nearly 2 weeks and have already nearly been knocked off around 6 times! Would be good to use as evidence if the situation ever arose.

This is what im looking at buying they are sunglasses with a HD video camera built in them (not sure if it will be much use in this current weather though) wanted to know if anyone has used them or a similar product before??

http://search.purelygadgets.co.uk/search?asug=&w=pivothead

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I've just started commuting to work as getting the train is becoming increasingly more expensive. Alot of riders i see of a morning and of an evening seem to be wearing helmet cameras to record their journeys to and from work. Ive also seen alot of videos on YouTube where cyclists are put in danger by other wreckless road users and and record their number plates etc.

Im thinking of doing the same as ive been commuting into London for nearly 2 weeks and have already nearly been knocked off around 6 times! Would be good to use as evidence if the situation ever arose.

This is what im looking at buying they are sunglasses with a HD video camera built in them (not sure if it will be much use in this current weather though) wanted to know if anyone has used them or a similar product before??

http://search.purelygadgets.co.uk/search?asug=&w=pivothead

Nearly knocked off 6 times in 2 weeks suggests that there's something you can do about your riding first -- have you read Cyclecraft?

Better to stay out from underneath a car than to film it hitting you...

{Edit}: Haven't tried those glasses things, but at a guess the CCD sensor will be tiny (so it fits in the glasses). I sincerely doubt the picture quality will be any good at all.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • I can assure you my riding is fine. Its people pulling out on me out of turnings that cant see me when ive got my lights on and a flourescent jacket :/ I think the sensor is pretty small but it records at 1080P according to the specs. Think i'll give it a shot
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    If they are nearly hitting you because they don't see you you should probably be bit more assertive in your riding style.

Take the lane when you are moving at the same speed as traffic and as you pass junctions, don't ride in the gutter or you'll get stuck they and they wont see you.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I can assure you my riding is fine. Its people pulling out on me out of turnings that cant see me when ive got my lights on and a flourescent jacket :/ I think the sensor is pretty small but it records at 1080P according to the specs. Think i'll give it a shot

Stick yourself in the drivers' eyeline; behave like a car.

As for the sensor/resolution thingy: just because it is high resolution doesn't mean any of those pixels can capture any useful light. Taking pictures is about capturing light; the small the total capture area (sensor size) the less light can be captured. I suspect that will be equivalent to mobile phone footage, which might be fine for you, but you can get a lot better for the same money IMHO.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • don't take this the wrong way but you'll probably enjoy your commute more if you concentrate on enjoying the ride and not making amateur films of traffic infringements to clog up youtube with. By all means wear a camera if you feel it may help you in court should the worst occur, but getting worked up about poor driving will drive you slowly insane and you'll resent your cycling and end up back on pt.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I wear a helmet cam, mostly to help in the event of a legal/insurance claim, to remove/minimise doubt about what happened. I don't post every little thing that happens.

As for the riding, most definitely read cyclecraft. Even if your riding hasn't contributed to the incidents (that's what I thought too) it could be a lifesaver in the future.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    They look heavy... mind you i have the contour HD, great quality but really obvious, thinking about mounting it on the bike.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    They look heavy... mind you i have the contour HD, great quality but really obvious, thinking about mounting it on the bike.

ditto - I have mine kind of halfway up the helmet, so it's not hanging out the side or sticking out the top. However (as you know) the quality is excellent.

I got mine to record the fun moments - the idiot moments are an extra. (and it does work as evidence)

I'd also echo about being seen approaching junctions - look up motion camouflage to see what you need to do.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter