Winter Battery Storage - full or empty?

northernneil
northernneil Posts: 1,549
edited April 2012 in Workshop
having now taken the powerfull lights I use for winter my commute off my CX do you think its best to store them fully charged or drained over summer, I doubt they'll get used again now till October. Advise appreciated

Cheers

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Charge them and store them in as cool a place as possible. Some folk use the the fridge and that's not a bad idea!
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Sounds stupid but my lights suggested the fridge and thats where i kept the battery last year during the summer lighter months, can't tell weather it did any good or not though!
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I'm in the same boat and looking for knowledge.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    I think also it is a good idea to recharge them once or twice during storage; most rechargeables lose about 1-2 % charge per day and if run to flat may not be as effective at recharging / holding charge as before.
    Have a set of Cateye which run off Ni / cad, left over summer and had real problems getting them recharged once they had fully discharged---needed to `fool` charger into giving them a proper charge as it kept auto switching off after just a few minutes recharging (needed continuous switch on / off 10x to get a full charge)