Marzocchi RLO 140mm on giant trance?

lexinoo
lexinoo Posts: 132
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Looking for a fork upgrade from the 120mm rockshox tora coils on my 2010 giant trance ,and have seen some nearly new Marz RLO 140's.
Anyone with any opinions /experience with this fork?is it a worthwhile upgrade?my bike is used on cannock chase mainly,i like the fast rough stuff,and jumps.I have reba's on my hardtail and like the adjustability,would the marzocchis offer the same experience ?thanks.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Which Marzocchi fork exactly? 33, 44?
  • lexinoo
    Errrrrrrrrr, i don't know!i :oops: just found them on another website ,didn't realise there were different models!More research required i guess!
  • lexinoo
    Okay,found out they are 44.coil and air.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is worth a go, many run 140mm on trances - but may invalidate any warranty.

If you have a Tora 318 though, I'd keep it.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Marzocchi's don't work very well for heavier riders, I found I couldn't get enough air to set them up right
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    What year fork though and how heavy? You hear such mixed feedback on these forks from year to year. And they did go through a bad patch for quite a while.
  • lexinoo
    The toras i have now are 302.Nothing wrong with them but i just fancy some air adjustable ones with a bit more travel and a lockout without spending a fortune.
    The marzocchis are from 2011 and i weigh about 13 stone 4lbs.
    If they're not very good i will just wait until my toras are broke and get some rebas or revelations or similar.What do you reckon people???
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I'd wait and get revs.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    I've ordered some 2012's as spare / back up, they should get here today or tomorrow, I'll give you a quick first impression when they arrive. The 2011 forks get good solid feedback for the most part.

I fluctuate between 14 - 15 stone. My only concern was potential long term issues manifesting, but I ain't got a crystal ball and there is a 3 year warranty on them. If I can't get the forks set up right immediately they'll be going back. We'll see.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Newer ones are ok for reliability. I'm 15.5 stone but I think they should be ok for a rider up to about 14.5 stone.
    Some of Marzocchi's new forks are actually very nice. I had a ride on a bike belonging to a Marzocchi sponsored rider with 888 RC3 evo ti forks & they are nicer than Boxxer WC's or Fox 40's.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Fit a motion control damper cartridge to the toras?

Ive heard that using the air preload can make the marzocchis seem "harsh", but as long as you get the correct spring for your weight I cant see why they wouldnt work well.